Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah, I'm only doing USA/Canada for my experience. It certainly is the USA that is going a bit crazy on this stuff. Canada has gotten easier, if anything.

I'm more just curious if being asked to see the phone, unlock it, etc. is becoming an even semi-regular thing at all. I've never had/seen it happen.

Same experience here, though even recently. If I were to guess, I'd also say like 80% of my airport security checks coming to the USA have included a 'random' search/body-scan. While waiting, I'd see a few women 'randomly' flagged, but it was mostly men. I also have a beard (as does your profile icon) which maybe triggers some kind of profiling?

I don't care all that much, aside from a slight delay. I just don't like them pretending it's random. Profiling is a thing any kind of law enforcement does... so long as it doesn't get lazy and abused, as that will probably end up letting more bad things through.
I’m with you, I don’t like the pretend “randomness”. I have a beard now but I didn’t at the time, I was just a very ordinary 30 something white guy on a business trip. At the time I wondered if I was being chosen as the “token white guy” to prove they weren’t singling out minorities for extra screening. It wasn’t a big deal, TSA was polite and the extra screening didn’t take long. A couple of time I even got bumped to the front of the boarding line for the inconvenience of having to go through the extra screening at the gate.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
What was Microsoft thinking??

Facebook taking NSO to court?? Real News or fake news? If this was China or Iran Trump would be applying sanctions but for some reason not many were willing to report on this.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
What was Microsoft thinking??

Facebook taking NSO to court?? Real News or fake news? If this was China or Iran Trump would be applying sanctions but for some reason not many were willing to report on this.

Of course you know why Tump won’t say a word - why the US media too will be near silent. Meanwhile even on this forum there are people who think surveillance was invented by the Chinese and Apple should therefore leave China. Laughable.

Reactions: stylinexpat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.