Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
After installing for about an hour the screen on my LG went black. Power to the Mini was on as indicated by the little white LED on the Mini. Tried waking the Mini with the Escape button, tried Command + L to see if it was still updating. Tried waking the monitor up with it's function button. Tried unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in. All just solid dark screen. Tried starting in Safe Mode (shift with starting up) and nothing. Had to actually Reset the SMC to get it going.

iTunes is now called Music. It reset all my View prefs. Wish I would have taken a screenshot of my iTunes setup before upgrading so I could get it back to how I like it. ?
[automerge]1570485836[/automerge]

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy P

ztw2002

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
New York City
I just updated and my LG oled TV connected to Mac Mini via HDMI doesn't pick up any signal. I tried to turn off and on Deep Black but still doesn't work. Does this happen to anyone else?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Only issue I have is 14GB of other storage that wasn't there before update.

Queru

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2019
I run Mac mini 2018 with eGPU and I had this problem several times now - initially after updating, and now while rebooting from BootCamp to macOS my screen goes all white and nothing happens after that. I need to force-shutdown Mac mini, unplug eGPU, plug to my monitor directly through HDMI and then wait a bit to have any visual. Any1 else dealing with that?

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I have been using 2 HDMI to USB-C cables to connect my two monitors, as soon as I updated there was no signal at all, eventually discovered it was the cables, when I plugged one in HDMI to HDMI it worked. So even some cables won't even work after update, FFS, what a mess.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
It's very strange how the '18 Minis seem to have so many problems with waking from sleep and monitors. I think aside from those two problems they run pretty well though.

Reactions: scottsjack

ztw2002

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
New York City
I have been using 2 HDMI to USB-C cables to connect my two monitors, as soon as I updated there was no signal at all, eventually discovered it was the cables, when I plugged one in HDMI to HDMI it worked. So even some cables won't even work after update, FFS, what a mess.

same thing happened to me too, USB-C to Display port works but HDMI to HDMI to my LG TV doesn't work after update

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
Interesting. I managed to get my LG monitor over HDMI going again only after a SMC reset as I mentioned in the original post.

What shocks me is how many issues are popping up on something [seemingly] as simple as hardware handshaking with a monitor.

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
I had this issue too. 2018 Mac mini connected to an LG 43" monitor via HDMI which didn't display any image that would indicate a signal from the Mac. The update became unresponsive and I tried all the usual procedures to bring it back. I was ready to bring it in for service as I thought it had become bricked but tried one more time with a regular 25" Dell monitor and it started up and worked with Catelina fully installed.

I'd say there is some sort of display bug in the Catelina installer procedure.
I'm going to disable some of the T2 boot security features now to make sure I have options if something weird happens again.

knightbridge

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
I too am having issues with my 2018 Mac mini going to sleep and not waking up when I touch the spacebar. It's frustrating because it does not happen all of the time. I'm using an Acer 27" 1080P monitor with an HDMI connection -- nothing fancy.

RobertK81

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
I have the same issue!! I thought my Mini was killed..Because my LG OLED series 9 doesnt turn on. But i plugged in a cheap hdmi monitor and that works.
So now when i shut down Mini and start-up, no screen boot. If i shut down and turn on again with cheap monitor, no problem.
I then remove monitor HDMI and plug in the LG OLED hdmi, it works. But after i shut down/reboot Mini again, same problem..

I hope somebody knows a fix because this sucks. I dont feel like downgrading/reinstalling my system to Mojave..

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
During the upgrade, my monitor went blank. I waited a couple of minutes, when nothing happened I unplugged the HDMI cable to the monitor and plugged it back in and that got things going again.

Andy P

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
I have the same issue!! I thought my Mini was killed..Because my LG OLED series 9 doesnt turn on. But i plugged in a cheap hdmi monitor and that works.
So now when i shut down Mini and start-up, no screen boot. If i shut down and turn on again with cheap monitor, no problem.
I then remove monitor HDMI and plug in the LG OLED hdmi, it works. But after i shut down/reboot Mini again, same problem..

I hope somebody knows a fix because this sucks. I dont feel like downgrading/reinstalling my system to Mojave..

I am having EXACTLY the same problem.
I have to plug the HDMI cable from my 2018 Mac Mini into my Samsung HDTV... then as you said, remove the cable and plug it into the LG 32UD99-W.AUS monitor. If I try to start up with the LG monitor plugged in, the monitor has no signal.

Has anyone figured this out yet? There's no info on the LG site & doesn't seem to be any new info over at Apple either. This isn't an acceptable way of using my computer... it needs to get fixed soon.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
Mine is an LG 32UD59-B. It had a bunch of problems waking from sleep when I first got the Mini, but a software update in Mojave fixed that.

Simply put, I think the drivers, or video card, or hardware handshaking in the Mini is not developed (or developed correctly). Hopefully, they patch up what they need to in the next software update.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Currently rolling back to Mojave, don't have the time to try and deal with this ****, it really is a case of constantly swapping cables on every restart to try and tease it into working. The Mac Mini does appear to be the only device with this issue as of course MBPs and iMacs have thier own displays that they will have to ensure run properly.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I have an '18 Mini with an Asus Vega 56 eGpu. As with Mojave, now Catalina - when I power on the Mini I get a black screen for a bit before the OS screen (white Apple logo) shows. Sometimes I'll be able to see progress bars. I do see a few random video artifacts, but I'm sure that's from the video card.

No real change from Mojave.

The desktop will eventually show and I can do what I need to do.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
Currently rolling back to Mojave, don't have the time to try and deal with this ****, it really is a case of constantly swapping cables on every restart to try and tease it into working. The Mac Mini does appear to be the only device with this issue as of course MBPs and iMacs have thier own displays that they will have to ensure run properly.

That's exactly, where I'm at. I had two occasions (after the botched installation) where my machine is on (force quit does make the bonk alert sound), but not communicating with the monitor.

Before I revert to Mojave, I'm going to install 10.5.1 beta due for consumers this week.

First I need to wrap up some work on my machine because I have a very unstable computer for the first time in 25 years.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
That's exactly, where I'm at.

Just a warning, from the Apple site it appears a massive issue, many are reporting that rolling back to Mojave will not fix the issue. It seems to be some sort of firmware change that will not revert.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
Did you roll back to Mojave?

I guess the fact that Apple knows it's an issue affecting a lot of customers is at least somewhat good news. Now... where's the fix.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Did you roll back to Mojave?

Just re-installed, and for me, yes the issue still exists, no HDMI connection in Mojave either, managed to get it working using USB-C to DP cables but it would not work with USB-C to HDMI.

Many appear to be working fine on USB-C to HDMI although to be fair I have a suspicion that it could be my USB-C to HDMI cables. The first ones I got from Benfei never worked but they sent out new cables that would, so perhaps they are just flaky and that is the issue. The USB-C to DP cables are new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.