Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.2.

In my messages app, if you dismiss a spelling correction (by pressing the x on the suggestion pop-up), the misspelled word will be underlined in red (as normal). Then if you keep typing, the red underline from that word goes away. So after you're finished writing your text, it's hard to tell which words are misspelled.

Interestingly, if you do tap on the misspelled word (though it's not underlined in red), it will give you spelling suggestions.

Is this normal behavior that existed in the original iOS 7.0 and in iOS 6? I can't remember, but it sure is annoying...

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Ok but that's not the point. I want to know if this is normal behavior, or some kind of bug.

My iPod touch 5th gen does the same thing.

I believe iOS 7 assumes that if you didn't correct it there, you want it spelled the way you had it.

I agree with you, it weird. It breaks up any ryth I might have while typing if I have to correct as I go.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
My iPod touch 5th gen does the same thing.

I believe iOS 7 assumes that if you didn't correct it there, you want it spelled the way you had it.

I agree with you, it weird. It breaks up any ryth I might have while typing if I have to correct as I go.

Funny thing is, the same thing does not happen in other apps, like Notes.

Reactions: dysamoria

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I'm pretty convinced that this is a bug and not an intended behavior. Really hoping apple releases a fix for it soon.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Ok but that's not the point. I want to know if this is normal behavior, or some kind of bug.

I don't think it's a bug, but rather an oversight. And an annoying one indeed.

I know what mean by having to stop your flow just to correct spelling. Spell checking / proofreading is typically done as a last step prior to saving / sending / etc.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012

I know what mean by having to stop your flow just to correct spelling. Spell checking / proofreading is typically done as a last step prior to saving / sending / etc.

Precisely! It's much easier to know exactly which words are misspelled with the red underline indicator rather than reading each word and asking yourself "hmm is this word misspelled? let me tap on it to see if there are any spelling suggestions." It's especially annoying bc sometimes the phone saves misspelled words if you accidentally dismiss the misspelled word in the past.

In any case, I hope this is fixed by apple...

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

Precisely! It's much easier to know exactly which words are misspelled with the red underline indicator rather than reading each word and asking yourself "hmm is this word misspelled? let me tap on it to see if there are any spelling suggestions." It's especially annoying bc sometimes the phone saves misspelled words if you accidentally dismiss the misspelled word in the past.

In any case, I hope this is fixed by apple...

Sure, in documents that have pages of info. We are talking about messages here. The idea of instant correction is that it happens instantly w/ pressing spacebar, you don't even have to think about it so it's actually faster way to spellcheck. If you press X, you are telling it that it's the correct word for what you want so it won't red underline it again. You can still highlight the word and press replace.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Sure, in documents that have pages of info. We are talking about messages here. The idea of instant correction is that it happens instantly w/ pressing spacebar, you don't even have to think about it so it's actually faster way to spellcheck. If you press X, you are telling it that it's the correct word for what you want so it won't red underline it again. You can still highlight the word and press replace.

Not all words auto-correct to a correctly spelled word. Some words just remain misspelled without giving you a suggestion that you can even press X for. After you type a word like this and press space, the word underlines in red, but then the line disappears if you continue typing. If you're typing really fast and don't catch the underline, you may never notice it was even misspelled. For example, if you type "nlam":

27xf1n4.jpg

As you can see, a suggestion bubble never came up. So I couldn't has pressed the X. When I typed this word and pressed space, the misspelled word remained misspelled without autocorrecting to anything, though there are definitely other words I could have meant by it (e.g. "balm").

PS: Please excuse the humongous image.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Not all words auto-correct to a correctly spelled word. Some words just remain misspelled without giving you a suggestion that you can even press X for. After you type a word like this and press space, the word underlines in red, but then the line disappears if you continue typing. If you're typing really fast and don't catch the underline, you may never notice it was even misspelled. For example, if you type "nlam":

As you can see, a suggestion bubble never came up. So I couldn't has pressed the X. When I typed this word and pressed space, the misspelled word remained misspelled without autocorrecting to anything, though there are definitely other words I could have meant by it (e.g. "balm").

PS: Please excuse the humongous image.

I typed the same sentence and it autocorrected it to balm after pressing space.
You prob had pressed x on it before.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I typed the same sentence and it autocorrected it to balm after pressing space.
You prob had pressed x on it before.

Really? Strange, I'm pretty sure I never typed the word "nlam" before, I just made it up on the spot. If I did use it before, it was done on accident.

Anyways, what if I did use the X for the word in the past, and don't want to the next time I use it? I think it should still be underlined so I'm made aware. Perfect example is this situation where I may haven't accidentally used "nlam" in the past. Obviously I wouldn't want it to ignore the misspelling in the future.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Really? Strange, I'm pretty sure I never typed the word "nlam" before, I just made it up on the spot. If I did use it before, it was done on accident.

Anyways, what if I did use the X for the word in the past, and don't want to the next time I use it? I think it should still be underlined so I'm made aware. Perfect example is this situation where I may haven't accidentally used "nlam" in the past. Obviously I wouldn't want it to ignore the misspelling in the future.
Yeah, it happens. My dict is basically empty since I'm running a brand new 5S. You can reset the dictionary if you have done the X thing for too many words inside settings.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Yeah this is definitely becoming a big problem for me. I was just having a text conversation with a friend, and after almost every single text I sent, I noticed a spelling error which was not underlined red. It may have been momentarily when I pressed the space after typing that specific word, but it went away quickly when I started typing the next word.

For example, I noticed one of the misspelled words was "avle" when I wanted "able". It wasn't underlined red, and I only noticed it AFTER the text was sent. Why would I ever have pressed the 'X' to dismiss the correction for "avle"? When would I ever need to actually use the word "avle"? Never.

I'm gonna try to reset the dictionary eventually, and see if that solves anything, but I doubt it.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Yeah this is definitely becoming a big problem for me. I was just having a text conversation with a friend, and after almost every single text I sent, I noticed a spelling error which was not underlined red. It may have been momentarily when I pressed the space after typing that specific word, but it went away quickly when I started typing the next word.

For example, I noticed one of the misspelled words was "avle" when I wanted "able". It wasn't underlined red, and I only noticed it AFTER the text was sent. Why would I ever have pressed the 'X' to dismiss the correction for "avle"? When would I ever need to actually use the word "avle"? Never.

I'm gonna try to reset the dictionary eventually, and see if that solves anything, but I doubt it.

Did that fix anything for you? I’ve just started trying to find out why Safari won’t mark words as misspelled. I find others having the same problem and everyone else telling them “it works fine here”. I’ve had countless Safari text edit field bugs and I’m utterly fed up with them all. For example: the pop-up suggestion for misspelled words vanishes on its own before it can be tapped on. That’s new to iOS 12 (it worked fine in iOS 10). Then there are the selection bugs, the random autocorrect fails (as in, it just doesn’t work, at all), magnifying view when tapping and holding to move the cursor being offset to completely the wrong place, etc and so on and so forth. And it’s all INCONSISTENT. One moment it works, the next it doesn’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.