Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Istat pro was a handy dashboard widget for displaying system data such as battery usage and running processes.

Unfortunately it is not fully ML compatible. The devs have confirmed on Twitter that they will not be updating it to ML compatibility, so it sadly must be considered abandonware.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?

rodknocker

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
There are a lot of Widgets which are incompatible with Mountain Lion :((((

I really like to use Dashboard for my every day work.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
There are a lot of Widgets which are incompatible with Mountain Lion :((((

I really like to use Dashboard for my every day work.

It is odd that Apple is still enhancing Dashboard while developers and users seem to have got bored of it! I still use it though.

Reactions: tassos

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
They probably just want you to get iStat Menus instead since they make money off that.

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
I'm using iStat Pro widget on Mountain Lion GM, and only the "processes" section not working. But it doesn't bother me because I use it only for checking temps. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just give them time, ML is not out for general release, Give the vendor a little time to update their widget.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The devs have confirmed on Twitter that they will not be updating it to ML compatibility

Ahh, gotcha, I missed that. I guess in a sense you get what you pay for :/

I think widgets in general never really turned out the way apple wanted them too. I think iStat was one of the few successes, but in the end, it probably didn't make economic sense for the vendor. Too bad

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
ah, well. have the same issue. nothing showing for 'processes'.
everything else works.
wish they'd fix it (i even bought the menubar app)..
:(

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
The iStat Pro widget has long been my go to computer monitoring app. Like most of you, I was disheartened to discover that the current version of the app can't display precesses under Mountain Lion. After doing a little investigation into iStat Menus, which apparently is fully compatible with Mountain Lion, I have decided not to buy it right now. It looks like a nice app but I am not sure that its incremental improvements over iStat Pro are worth its $16 price. I would like to hear what others have to say about this.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
The iStat Pro widget has long been my go to computer monitoring app. Like most of you, I was disheartened to discover that the current version of the app can't display precesses under Mountain Lion. After doing a little investigation into iStat Menus, which apparently is fully compatible with Mountain Lion, I have decided not to buy it right now. It looks like a nice app but I am not sure that its incremental improvements over iStat Pro are worth its $16 price. I would like to hear what others have to say about this.

I'm with you. I downloaded and tried menus....but I really don't want it running all the time. I really only glance at my stats and the dashboard has been nice to go to.

For me it's not really the price.....more the change. Right now if I need to glance I just hit dashboard and view the widget. With menus....I need to collapse everything into one menu (because I don't want to see all that stuff all the time)....and then to see something....mouse to the menubar....click, find the group I want and view the stats.

I just turned off processes for now. Only other thing that isn't working right is in the Tall format...I get double meters for each HDD showing space.

-Kevin

thephased

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
For whatever its worth, iStat nano in the dashboard works perfectly fine in ML. Haven't tried the other versions.

morberg

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
For whatever its worth, iStat nano in the dashboard works perfectly fine in ML. Haven't tried the other versions.

Neither iStat nano nor iStat pro displays any processes on my ML installation (same as for everybody else in the thread). Everything else works. Do you really see processes in iStat nano?

You can always do 'top -o cpu' in a terminal window if you want to see your most active processes, but it would be nice to have a widget too.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Neither iStat nano nor iStat pro displays any processes on my ML installation (same as for everybody else in the thread). Everything else works. Do you really see processes in iStat nano?

You can always do 'top -o cpu' in a terminal window if you want to see your most active processes, but it would be nice to have a widget too.

Or just use the Activity Monitor and set it to show all processes. I always have it open and you can set the dock icon to show CPU/memory/network/disk usage which is incredibly handy.
Htop is another command line program that's similar to top but much more beautiful and configurable.

Buduls

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
It's easy to fix iStat Pro processes for Mountain Lion

Steps:

1. Locate your widget, it will be under /Library/Widgets or ~/Library/Widgets
2. Right click it and select: "Show Package Contents"
3. Open Wide.js or Tall.js file in some editor (Wide is for horizontal view, Tall for vertical)

4. Locate the line

WideSkinController.prototype.updateProcesses = function(){
var _self = this;
var exclude = "";
if(p.v("processes_excludewidgets") == 'on')
exclude = " grep -v DashboardClient | ";

if(p.v("processes_sort_mode") == 'cpu')
widget.system('ps -arcwwwxo "pid %cpu command" | egrep "PID|$1" | grep -v grep | ' + exclude + ' head -7 | tail -6 | awk \'{print "<pid>"$1"</pid><cpu>"$2"</cpu><name>"$3,$4,$5"</name></item>"}\'', function(data){ _self.updateProcessesOut(data);});
else
widget.system('ps -amcwwwxo "pid rss command" | egrep "PID|$1" | grep -v grep | ' + exclude + ' head -7 | tail -6 | awk \'{print "<pid>"$1"</pid><cpu>"$2"</cpu><name>"$3,$4,$5"</name></item>"}\'', function(data){ _self.updateProcessesOut(data);});
}

Change "PID|$1" to "PID| $1" (Add space before $ sign)

5. Save the changes

6. remove widget and re-add it Dashboard, and it should be fixed

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
^^

Ditto.....BRILLIANT! Worked perfectly!

You don't even have to remove the widget....just restart the Dock with: killall Dock

-Kevin

danb77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
This works. Fantastic. Let's drop a note to the authors, and tell them of the fix. Maybe they'll update it now that the issue has been figured out.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Now the only thing left for me is the HDD bars in Tall mode...the bars are doubled.

-Kevin

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 7.42.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 7.42.43 AM.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 100,402
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.