Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Trying to update my iPhone 4S to iOS 5.1. Plug into my Mac Mini and iTunes opens. Pop up remind me iOS 5.1 is available. Then choose update. Then it tries to contacting update server. Half an hour later, still trying to do the same thing. Tries 3 time, 2 hours passed. Nothing.

Unplug from Mac Mini, then went go general, software update. click Download and install. Agree the license agreement. It starting to download process. Stuck on estimating time remaning . 2 minutes later, error message pops up saying:" An error occurred downloading iOS 5.1." Gives me 2 option: close and setting.

Hit setting, brings me back to software update page. Tried 5 times. Nothing.

Now could it be my iPhone's problem? Is there any setting need to be changed? Or it just Apple's server isn't responding anymore.

God, roommate wants to play Japanese Siri, hopefully i can get this thing work before he comes back.

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
I'm having the same issue. I have been trying all day and it won't update. Have you found anything out? It is so aggravating! :mad:

whynotgotovegas

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2012
Michigan
Ugh! Same problem here on my iPad 2 and iPod touches. I have to leave early tomorrow morning as well, and it would be super nice to have even just my iPad updated. Sucks though because I can only do ota updates, because I use my iPad as my computer. Oh well. I was hoping that the servers would get less traffic once it hit 10pm and they would be back up by 11pm, but I guess not.

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I got a link to DL some ispw files which I have no idea how to use, but anyways the fact is that I am having to fart about with update files when Apple with their multi billion dollar server network cannot even put out an update?

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Update it over the air. It's faster.

I have tried general/software update, it errors out failing to contact update server over and over and over.....

I am on Wifi when trying and disabled the routers firewall!

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Same issues here. Even the direct download links aren't working for me.

Are there any mirrors out there yet?

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Got the required ispw files from a DropBox link a friend shared, updated it through those :eek:

Thanks all.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Both update through iTunes (MacBook Air) and Direct over the air does not work.

Will try tomorrow morning.

eyekyu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009
it appears for whatever reason apple has blocked/firewalled off a bunch of IP addresses, countries or whatever

i have been trying most of the day from my home dsl connection and get the error on my iPhone & iPad. if i try to download the ipsw file from their servers directly it also times out, however if i use my amazon ec2 instance (in another country) it downloads fine

software update itself works fine, so it looks like it's something deliberate apple have done

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I think apple is blocking certain ISP or IP address. I tried all day to update my iPhone and iPad all day yesterdayusing OTA and iTunes. The only way I could even get the update to show up was to switch to 3G but then I couldn't download. At home I use Mediacom. When I got to work I used our COX wireless and my iPhone updated via OTA in a matter of minutes. Anyone else seeing this?

malibuboats91

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Well I tried all day yesterday and had no luck. Got to school today and figured id try OTA and it worked!

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Utter Joke I've been trying since yesterday OTA saying can not connect try again, then same thing. With iTunes says connecting to server then nothing. iPhone 4S iPod 4G. I give up nearly 24 hours now. Sort it apple

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I have tried general/software update, it errors out failing to contact update server over and over and over.....

I am on Wifi when trying and disabled the routers firewall!

Man, it is Thursday 11:08 am (Ontario, Eastern Time). Still not work. This is bad.... Apple seriously need to build more data centre. Imaging Microsoft pushes update to millions users, they never had any difficulty to do that.

Pheidon

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
iOS 5.1 update blocked by Apple

I think apple is blocking certain ISP or IP address.

I think you are right, I live in the Czech Republic and I was getting all the connecting/upgrading issues everyone is talking about...than I connected via PowerVPN to US IP and iTunes are updating my iPhone to iOS 5.1 as I type. :)

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
I think you are right, I live in the Czech Republic and I was getting all the connecting/upgrading issues everyone is talking about...than I connected via PowerVPN to US IP and iTunes are updating my iPhone to iOS 5.1 as I type. :)

Hmm, if that's the case then, do you think they will unblock it as the traffic dies down? I find it hard to believe that they're doing this as it is really not fair.

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Here's how you fix it:

Go to the DNS portion of your Network settings. Write down your current settings (just incase you want to go back to them). Then change your DNS to:

This is the Google Public DNS settings. I was having issues all day, then I changed my settings and BAM! Downloaded right away. Now, I did change back to my original DNS settings because I don't know how secure Google is, but if you pop over to their DNS, you should be able to get the update.

Reactions: normanadvardo

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Here's how you fix it:

Go to the DNS portion of your Network settings. Write down your current settings (just incase you want to go back to them). Then change your DNS to:

This is the Google Public DNS settings. I was having issues all day, then I changed my settings and BAM! Downloaded right away. Now, I did change back to my original DNS settings because I don't know how secure Google is, but if you pop over to their DNS, you should be able to get the update.

That was the trick. Thank you so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.