Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
it's been a while since I bought my iPhone 11, yet I find myself going back to using my old iPhone SE frequently.

What's wrong with me? :( FYI: I'm a big guy... 6-foot 4, 287 pounds, freakishly big hands(obviously)

Reactions: jimmy_uk

lexikon318

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Interesting ... I recently tried handling my friend’s SE and nearly dropped it because I didn’t expect how small it would feel in my hands haha

I’m a much smaller guy but I’m used to my Xs Max and 8 plus before that.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
The SE with iOS13 can do everything you need for a mobile device with ease in a lightweight and pocketable way while the heavy lifting can go to ipad or laptop. The continuing trend for larger and heavier phones that can be your everything device can be a little tiring and consuming in my opinion. I personally gave up owning an ipad because I could use my 7 plus for most things, everything else goes to my desktop. But I'm tiring of a large phone while being mobile because it's a chore to handle and fetch in and out of my pocket. I miss the SE alot lately but as there's no new stock in the UK I can never go back.

Why do you think your not bonding to the 11?

Reactions: retta283

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
it's been a while since I bought my iPhone 11, yet I find myself going back to using my old iPhone SE frequently.

What's wrong with me? :( FYI: I'm a big guy... 6-foot 4, 287 pounds, freakishly big hands(obviously)
Nothing wrong, I find I miss that phone myself lol. I’m 6’6” 250lbs so I get that the the idea we like that form factor is laughable to some but ehh lol.

Reactions: Fozamo and jimmy_uk

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
The SE was a solid device. It's still rather capable today, and for those that like the small, thin, and light package it's a great device. Very practical and pocketable. Nothing wrong with liking practicality...

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

You like a smaller phone... So what?

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
You like a smaller phone... So what?

people on the street look at me funny.... just the other day, a little old lady sitting next to me on a flight said "yours is so small!" (pointing to my iPhone SE) She was rocking a big Galaxy Note 10+....

guess you're gonna tell me to ignore what other people say? :)

Reactions: maxjohnson2

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
people on the street look at me funny.... just the other day, a little old lady sitting next to me on a flight said "yours is so small!" (pointing to my iPhone SE) She was rocking a big Galaxy Note 10+....

That's exactly what I'm gonna tell you. It's kinda creepy for other people to be that bothered by it. Not a good sign of the state of affairs IMO.

If I walk around with my Motorola flip phone will people assume I'm dealing drugs or humans?

Reactions: Fozamo and jimmy_uk

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or just really insecure for a grown man.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017

In that situation, I would tell them I have good eyesight.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
What does your height and weight have to do with it? I see plenty of petite females with plus/max size phones; presumably it just suits them. Perhaps the SE suits you. Personally, I hate the size of my wife's 6 now (soooo small) that I have an XR but thought nothing of it for the 3 years I had one.

It's just preference. There are many things to think/worry about with smartphones but I personally do not think this is one of them!

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
In that situation, I would tell them I have good eyesight.

that's an excellent point.... in a few years, I will probably not use the iPhone SE as much.(assuming the phone still works) I will require reading glasses in the not too distant future. :)

BlueMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I honestly can't tell if you're joking or just really insecure for a grown man.

not so much insecure... more like confused.

judge from a list of some cars/trucks/SUVs that I bought in the last 25 years

(in chronological order... I never owned more than one vehicle at a time... drove each anywhere from 3 to 4 years as daily drivers)

Range Rover Discovery (green)

Nissan 300ZX (bright red)

Ford F-150 crew cab (black)

Lincoln Town Car (champagne)

Mini Cooper (modern version, green, with Union Jack flag painted on the entire roof)

Lincoln Navigator (black, repainted to matte black)

Hummer H2 (yellow) yes, I know... :(

VW New Beetle cabriolet (red)

Mercedes E400 4Matic wagon (can't reveal color, as it's my current ride)

They should study me somewhere.. probably in Vienna.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
It means you value mobility in a mobile device! The SE is still the only option for an on-the-go iPhone.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I think whether you enjoy an SE depends on what you do with it. I can afford any phone I want, but I continue to use (and love) my SE because I use a phone for calls, texts, emails, and CarPlay. I don’t use a cell phone as a media consumption device, to surf the web, play games, or anything else that for me would require a much larger screen. I have a Mini for all those other things because even the largest phones are too small for me.

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Still using my SE. Very quick, smooth and still does pretty much what every other iPhone does out there. Every so often I think about going to an XR or 11, but every time I handle one at BestBuy or Apple Store, I get turned off by the bulk. I absolutely love being able to handle my SE with one hand without fear of dropping it.

Reactions: dcpmark

Fozamo

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I still use my SE and I'm 6'6.
Mind your business instead what other people think of you.

ps. The only problem with the SE nowadays it's their crappy battery life.The rest works just fine in my opinion.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
After using a 7+ exclusively for a year, I jumped to the X for the smaller size. Pockets, generally.

The 7+ was used as a backup phone (MVNO line on different carrier) for road trips in case I'm in a dead spot, but back in January I bought an SE to take that spot. Even if 13 is the end of the line for the OS, apps will hopefully support it for a few more years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.