Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
This is an identical situation: I can no longer sign into iTunes Store with iTunes 11 on Mavericks, however I can with iTunes 10.6.3 in Lion. I see no other alternatives to try to resolve this situation than to contact Apple Support by phone.

Last edited:

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
iTunes 11 store support dropped?

I SUDDENLY can no longer sign-in with v11 on Mac OSX Snow Leopard or Mavericks .

This page mentions payment only:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208104

To make a long story short: I couldn't log into iTunes Store in iTunes 11 and Genius stopped working either (so it did in iTunes 10 which I still use in Lion), so in the mid-December, I called Apple Support and had a lengthy conversation completed with all possible troubleshooting steps: I also sent them some additional data and, lo and behold, I launched iTunes 10 yesterday and saw Genius successfully updating the results. I tried several times before making sure it wasn't accidental. I then switched to Mavericks with iTunes 11 and was able to sign in to iTunes store (this is after 4 months of my auth being rejected) and launch Genius there too.
Try signing in again, should work.

Updated Genius results in iTunes 10.6.3 on macOS Lion.

genius-upd.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Partron22 and Slix

Clickme

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2020
The same problem happened to me a few days ago, I tried to turn home sharing on it asked me to log in to the store. When I tried to log in I got the message: “We could not complete your iTunes store request. An unknown error occurred (-50)”
this is happening with all the computers in my house, running iTunes 11 or iTunes 12.

I don't know if it was something Apple did or if theres a problem with my network though.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
You say iTunes 12 is affected too? What version specifically and on what macOS (iTunes 12.x.x is able to work with macOSes ranging from Lion to Mojave)?

As for Home Sharing I could turn it on and off all I want and so could I regarding iBooks on Mavericks where the iBook Store works perfectly (at least it did a few days ago). I believe iTunes Store and Home Sharing are using different connection routes. But I observe these drops since the rollout of Catalina.

To turn Home Sharing on fill out all the necessary login fields and append a verification code to your password. You can generate the code on your own by going to Preferences-->iCloud-->Security on your Mac running El Capitan and newer, or Settings-->Password & Security --> Generate a verification code on your iPhone (iOS 9& later or if you're running Yosemite and older).

Last edited:

Clickme

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2020
You say iTunes 12 is affected too? What version specifically and on what macOS (iTunes 12.x.x is able to work with macOSes ranging from Lion to Mojave)?
iTunes versions: 11.4, 12.8.2 OS: Mavericks, High Sierra. Today I tried on a computer running Windows 7 and ITunes v12.10.0.2, it was able to turn on home sharing.

As for Home Sharing I could turn it on and off all I want and so could I regarding iBooks on Mavericks where the iBook Store works perfectly (at least it did a few days ago). I believe iTunes Store and Home Sharing are using different connection routes. But I observe these drops since the rollout of Catalina.
Actually I forgot one step in the problem.
First I get the message "Home Sharing could not be activated because this computer is not authorized for the Apple ID “daniel@lorem.us”. Would you like to authorize now?" When I try to Authorize I get the error, “We could not complete your iTunes store request. An unknown error occurred (-50)”

To turn Home Sharing on fill out all the necessary login fields and append a verification code to your password. You can generate the code on your own by going to Preferences-->iCloud-->Security on your Mac running El Capitan and newer, or Settings-->Password & Security --> Generate a verification code on your iPhone (iOS 9& later or if you're running Yosemite and older).
There is nothing I see that says "Generate a verification code". Also I don't have an iPhone.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Actually, you can update iTunes to 12.6.2 in Mavericks. But I understand if you wouldn't wish to do that, the 12th version looks petty and is inconvenient to manage. For the same reason, I remained on 11.4 in Mavericks. I double-checked: since iTunes Store is non-functional now in v. 11 I turned it off in Parental Guide section of iTunes Preferences but I was able to turn off and on Home Sharing by entering my credentials. If you cannot make the verification code generate on an idevice at hand then activating Home Sharing without the code will be impossible. I also was getting the error about the failed authentication with the error -50 (although my Mac had been already authorized so there was no need of meddling with it) just because Apple rendered iTunes Store sign-in non-operational and I can't access my account from within iTunes.

As for High Sierra, I inadvertently skipped the step in my previous post, but now I'm posting this screenshot of how does one access the verification code generator. However, this is of little help as you don't have any option to append the code in a reasonable time - each bootable partition is treated as a separate Apple device.

Verification code-High Sierra.jpg

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
iTunes 11 store on latest version of Mavericks opens, but I cannot click any items, so it's unusable.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
iTunes 11 store on latest version of Mavericks opens, but I cannot click any items, so it's unusable.

You may want to take a look at this. Works with Mavericks and older.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
iTunes 10.4.1 won't let me buy anything on High Sierra. I can log in and search, just not purchase.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.