Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Try this script in Mojave
Code:
iTunes 12.9 will remain in place for Apple to update, start iTunes12.6.app from /Applications/ and create a new library.

What is going to happen when you use iTunes 12.9 for the same iPhone and then the 12.6? I can keep one of the libraries on a external disk, no problem. But will you get : this iPhone has already been sync with another computer, each time you switch between iTunes ?

Doug828

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Here’s my question. I installed iTunes on Catalina about 2 weeks after using the dreadful Music app. However, when I open iTunes, it opens up a 2 year old version of my library (of course I didn’t make a copy right before installing Catalina). I know they changed the format of the music database and it’s no longer an itl file. Does anyone know how to import my Music library and Playlists over to iTunes? I know I can just add all my songs back to iTunes but I don’t want to lose all my playlists, etc. Thanks in advance.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Here’s my question. I installed iTunes on Catalina about 2 weeks after using the dreadful Music app. However, when I open iTunes, it opens up a 2 year old version of my library (of course I didn’t make a copy right before installing Catalina). I know they changed the format of the music database and it’s no longer an itl file. Does anyone know how to import my Music library and Playlists over to iTunes? I know I can just add all my songs back to iTunes but I don’t want to lose all my playlists, etc. Thanks in advance.
Hold option while starting iTunes, and select the most recent .itl file in your ~/Music/iTunes folder

Doug828

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Unfortunately, that still brings up the same library from 2017. This new file structure is so confusing.

YoungLostTech

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
can anyone get "remote" app on an iOS device to work with this?

I installed by using the shortcut, it was just an installation app called shortcut
link can be found here but once everything was installed and setup for itunes, the 12.9xx version, I was able to open the remote app on my iphone and input the code into the itunes app on my catalina based mac, but that was it. It would never actually connect to the library, although I can see the icon for the library, where I would click on it, once clicking on it, it just wont connect.

YoungLostTech

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
It's working with iTunes 12.6. Install iTunesAccess (see above) and try again.
to my knowledge, I dont have an iTunesaccess and never dealt with a sip. My Itunes installation was a simply install using the tool mentioned above. not sure if that changes anything, but I never had to reboot or do anything in terminal to install it

Update: Since my original iTunes installation process was different than this thread, I just used sudo and did the command in post 14 without restarting or anything, just using regular terrminal, and remote now works for me on iTunes 12.9.5.5 on Catalina

Last edited:

PenGates

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Re iTunes 12.9.5.5 and Catalina - iTunes is not recognizing my iPods when I connect them and I have not been able to find a fix. Anyone know how to do this?

Also, I cannot add my Audible books to iPods, the message says "you are not authorized ..." I have Deauthorized and Authorized, but that move appears to be irrelevant. Any ideas?

Last edited:

count0x30

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
Have you tried to install iTunesAccess?
I'm on macOS 10.15.1 and installed iTunes 12.9.5.5 with Retroactive 1.3. Everything works perfectly, except the one thing that's most important to me: syncing a podcast playlist with my 4th gen iPod shuffle. I installed iTunesAccess following your instructions, and everything went smoothly, but nothing changed. When I plug in the shuffle, iTunes still gives me the message:
>iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPod "IPOD". Go to the Summary tab in iPod preferences and click Restore to restore this iPod to factory settings.

And after I do just that:
>The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1433).

This process seems to have worked for others. How can I verify that iTunesAccess is installed correctly?

Anyway, thanks for helping everyone out with this!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
This process seems to have worked for others. How can I verify that iTunesAccess is installed correctly?

iTunesAccess should appear in System information - Frameworks

You can also try to:
- install MobileDeviceOnDemand.pkg from Apple and reboot
Code:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/40/50/061-28466-A_MBGQFDMXV7/jnkn9uhodyqlzzvz3w19mz3dss1d5rq15i/MobileDeviceOnDemand.pkg

This update should be delivered when you connect an iOS device, but might not be triggered by older devices.

- use the script from post 148 to install iTunes 12.6 alongside 12.9, maybe iTunes 12.6 will work with your iPod.

bacardi198

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2019
Is there any way to convert a Music.app library to an iTunes library? I added a few songs to Music before finding out how to go back to using iTunes, and would like to keep my play counts...if not, no biggie! Thanks all!

Doug828

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
Is there any way to convert a Music.app library to an iTunes library? I added a few songs to Music before finding out how to go back to using iTunes, and would like to keep my play counts...if not, no biggie! Thanks all!
I was in a similar situation and I was able to convert my Music library back into iTunes. Not sure if I remember exactly how I did it. I right clicked on the Music dB file. There was some file in there called something like library. I copied it to desktop and renamed it iTunesLibrary.itl and dragged it into my iTunes folder (and removed the itl file that was in there). When I restarted iTunes, I held option and selected my iTunes library. It loaded the new library but said something was broken. I noticed it was my library as of four days earlier. But I wasn’t complaining.

just be careful. I’d hate for you to lose your current iTunes library.

hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.