Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldTimeOS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
SJC
I was notified that a new version of iTunes was available and downloaded it. Safari froze dead. Killed it. Relaunched. Instant error message that my version of Safari will not run on my OS. My OS is 10.10.5. on a 2,1 MacPro. Rebooted, fixed permissions. All the same, error message instantly on launch attempt.

Is this a bizarre coincidence or what? Can I downgrade iTunes to fix this? If so how? I found some instructions, but the first step was to put iTunes into the trash, but that is forbidden.)

I would appreciate any help (or k$ for a 6,1.)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Ran into this on some other person's machine.

Quick search turned up others having the issue as well and renaming the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework folder to something else (aka. add a ".bad" to the end of the name) got Safari working. This person I know does not use iTunes, so, not concerned about that. Everything seems to be running ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldTimeOS

OldTimeOS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2018
SJC
Can any version of Safari be downloaded from there and how do you find the .pkg name?

Did that, nothihg changed. Until I renamed that moble file, but now I have Safari 10.
[doublepost=1544886761][/doublepost]

Quick search turned up others having the issue as well and renaming the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework folder to something else (aka. add a ".bad" to the end of the name) got Safari working. This person I know does not use iTunes, so, not concerned about that. Everything seems to be running ok.
That worked.

I have to ask, how did he ever figure that out? Just going through all the items changed by the install?

Last edited:

Rileyh

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018

Can any version of Safari be downloaded from there and how do you find the .pkg name?

Did that, nothihg changed. Until I renamed that moble file, but now I have Safari 10.
[doublepost=1544886761][/doublepost]
That worked.

I have to ask, how did he ever figure that out? Just going through all the items changed by the install?

Yes this fix worked for me - Safari 10.1.2 back working, thanks! BUT - is there a fix to get iPhoto (old version) up and running please?

edmoncu

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
I am on the following
  • Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F2511)
  • iTunes 12.1.8.3
  • posting this on Safari 10.1.2
So far, nothing seems to be 'broken' as I can browse with Safari (typing using this) and can open iTunes as well and recognise my iPhoneSE. Can it be rule out that this issue is fixed?

FYI: I have not deleted any file like this: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

Although my setup is from a fresh install Yosemite 10.10.5, then ran update twice (first all got updated except iTunes, then second update only with iTunes).

nUyNxM4.jpg

For my other apps (if you need details). All are working fine.
  • Adobe CS 5.5 Master Collection (fully updated)
  • Microsoft Office 2016 (fully updated)
  • Latest Chrome (74.0.3729.108)
  • Latest VLC (3.0.6)
  • Latest Avast Security (free) 13.12
Specs were derived from here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.