Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I gotta come out just to say this Zugu case is really holding up well for me. Fits perfect and has good protection but extra thin! The stand is so strong it amazes me. I love the pencil holder because you have room for an ink pen!. I wasn't a fan at fist and kinda defaulted to this one. it's a really smart and practical folio cases.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have one for my 10.5 and it is a great case. I like the multiple stand angles that are rock solid. Also, that the cover faces to the back of the iPad when opened as a stand - let's me put a Bluetooth keyboard closer to the screen than with a cover that faces forward. A very nice case, well made.

Reactions: Javabird

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I gotta come out just to say this Zugu case is really holding up well for me. Fits perfect and has good protection but extra thin! The stand is so strong it amazes me. I love the pencil holder because you have room for an ink pen!. I wasn't a fan at fist and kinda defaulted to this one. it's a really smart and practical folio cases.

It's an interesting case. The thing that would worry me is that the side of the cover that folds back onto a surface is the same side that is against your display. I would be concerned it could pick up debris and then cause a scratch on your screen.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It's an interesting case. The thing that would worry me is that the side of the cover that folds back onto a surface is the same side that is against your display. I would be concerned it could pick up debris and then cause a scratch on your screen.
Isn't that true of all cases and covers that fold back?

I'm not a fan of cases in general. They add too much bulk and weight. I love smart covers but Apple chose not to make one for the 2018 iPad Pros.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Isn't that true of all cases and covers that fold back?

I'm not a fan of cases in general. They add too much bulk and weight. I love smart covers but Apple chose not to make one for the 2018 iPad Pros.

IDD.

I'm waiting for this to come back into stock https://www.speckproducts.co.uk/app...-11-inch-ipad-pro-cases/IPP11-BF.html#start=1

I had Speck's case for the 10.5. I like the fact it has a catch, so there is no chance it can fly open on its own. I don't know if it will last years without breaking, I didn't have my 10.5 long enough to find out.

I also appreciate the little burs it has on the bottom edge so when you have it open they dig into the case so it doesn't slide and collapse. A major problem with my current ESR case.

I will never user an Apple Pencil so that's not a factor.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I am returning mine to Amazon for this very reason.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Yeah it's a pretty good game on fit and form. I only wish it had a hand strap because I love reading folio style.

A hand strap would be nice. But I'm happy with being able to rest the whole thing on my lap at the right angle. I really like it so far. Thanks for the recommendation!

rouggie

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
I'm not a fan of rugged cases, usually prefer slimmer ones since I dont really need the extra protection. But this one got me curious...the kickstand looks so convenient for working on a desk or on your lap.

My only concern is, is it comfortable to use in portrait mode holding it with one hand while standing? Feel like the added weight + front cover flapping around would make it tiresome after a while.

Also I hate those huge bumpers on the edges, I like my front to be flush or with minimal bezels. Also think those might get on the way while drawing or taking notes since my hand will be resting over them at times, unevenly..even considered the possibility of trimming them with an exacto knife lol but that will most like end in a disaster

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I rarely use my iPad in portrait. The cover does make it uncomfortable and difficult to hold in portrait. OTOH, you can easily hold it in landscape with one hand, just leaving the kickstand up and putting the case on three Palm of your hand.

Reactions: Javabird

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I'm not a fan of rugged cases, usually prefer slimmer ones since I dont really need the extra protection. But this one got me curious...the kickstand looks so convenient for working on a desk or on your lap.

My only concern is, is it comfortable to use in portrait mode holding it with one hand while standing? Feel like the added weight + front cover flapping around would make it tiresome after a while.

Also I hate those huge bumpers on the edges, I like my front to be flush or with minimal bezels. Also think those might get on the way while drawing or taking notes since my hand will be resting over them at times, unevenly..even considered the possibility of trimming them with an exacto knife lol but that will most like end in a disaster

Cover sits flat and magneticly attached to the back. There are no bumpers on it and the case is very slim for what you get I.e. screen protection, and a very solid stand. Plus a pen holder.

rouggie

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2017
Cover sits flat and magneticly attached to the back. There are no bumpers on it and the case is very slim for what you get I.e. screen protection, and a very solid stand. Plus a pen holder.

Really? In all the reviews I saw they claim the front doesnt doesnt magneticly attaches to the back while open, but rather flaps around.
And by bumpers I mean this:
ZUGU-CASE-9-7-iPad-2018-2017-5th-6th-Gen-iPad-Air-1-Prodigy-X-Case-Very-Protective-But-Thin-Convenient-Magnetic-Stand-Sleep-Wake-Cover-Black-v-2861727574.jpg

Not only I find those ulgy, but I feel like they might get in the way while drawing since my hand would be resting over them in times

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Well all I can attest to is that My case screen cover does lay flat. And as to the “Raised” edge which I like so much. If it’s too much for your writing, well this case isn’t for you. Cases are an extremely personal thing, give and take for protection, weight and utility. I mostly use my iPad in portrait mode. It’s nice to have a pocket on the case that can hold the apple pen and an ink pen. In landscape mode the case is extremely solid and stable. This case works for me and my personal profile. No harm, no foul if it doesn’t meet your needs.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
So I have heard that this is a thin case? Or is it thin and rugged? Right now I have a UAG, I am working on getting it replaced with a newer one - having issues with it. I do have the 12.9". I do use it some in portrait, when I am working in procreate. So I do want something that is not too bulky.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
This is a thin case with bumpers. The key feature is of course the screen protection from a thin but solid cover. The Rear pen holder which can hold the apple pen and a writing pen. The side apple pen User holder which give easy access and charging on the Side of the case. And then there is the strong stand in horizontal mode. This has strong magnets that really locks things in. They are so strong that I flip it over so it will stand on uneven surfaces like your lap, crossed legged. Best to check the YouTube reviews to see it in action. I’m a portrait guy and love the thinnest and lightness while keep a good amount of drop protection. Automatic wake up works and that magnet is strong also. This leads to the downside which is it can be hard to open. But this is also good cause you don’t want that screen cover to flop off and get your screen scratched. Yes it could be better and more protective but then it wouldn’t be Thin. It’s all up to your preferences, keep in mind Amazon’s has a great return policy.

Last edited:

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Bought the case due to this thread for my new 12.9” iPad Pro. It’s absolutely incredible! I previously had the smart folio for the 10.5” but found this to be a perfect fit after wanting to transition to the magic keyboard. Very impressed with the Apple pencil integration as well.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
My first gen iPad Pro took a tumble with a smart cover on and unfortunately the screen shattered completely. So I got the latest 12.9" and the Zugu case since I don't want history to repeat and it is by far the best iPad case I've ever used. The stand is really sturdy, the case seems pretty protective, but it's still thin and light.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Does this have a good angle for writing?

I have the UAG case for my mini, and it has the perfect angle if I fold the flap under itself.

From the pictures I’ve seen, it seems like even the furthest angle would be too steep, and I don’t want to lay it flat.

Last edited:

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
Does this have a good angle for writing?

I have the UAG case for my mini, and it has the perfect angle if I fold the flap under itself.

From the pictures I’ve seen, it seems like even the furthest angle would be too steep, and I don’t want to lay it flat.
I’m really happy with this case for its various angles. Ymmv with regard to whether the lowest angle is right for writing. It works for me (I spend a lot of time on an online whiteboard for my students), but honestly I would prefer one more notch lower. It’s very minor though. Overall it’s really good.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i plan on ordering iPad Pro 12" and was looking at this case. Hows strong/secure is the pencil holder while on top/charging position? Will I find my pencil on the bottom of my bag?

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
i plan on ordering iPad Pro 12" and was looking at this case. Hows strong/secure is the pencil holder while on top/charging position? Will I find my pencil on the bottom of my bag?

The pencil is very secure while docked in the charging position. I haven’t had any issues with it falling off while in a bag or carrying the iPad around. In case you anticipate extreme G loads :) you can always insert the pencil in the elastic pouch on the back.

I wanted to confirm what most here are saying about the Zugu. It is an excellent case and I would highly recommend it. The fit and finish, thoughtful design touches, and functionality make it the base case I own for my 2018 12.9” iPP. I own several of the popular cases from Apple and third parties. The Zugu is the only one I use now.

Last edited:

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I assume this is a yes since people are saying it can hold the Apple Pencil AND a pen, but I'm looking at getting this case w/ a Logitech Crayon, shouldn't be any issues fitting that in the pencil holder, right?

jahobie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
I jus repurchased this case. Frankly, I am quite disappointed in it. Unfortunately I haven’t found anything better. Some of the concerns I have after using it a few days.
  1. I like to write hand notes, and the lowest angle level is just two high for my preference.
  2. Without the pencil on the side of the case in the charging slot, the side of the case is flexible and pushes out of the way when you try to hold it.
  3. It takes more effort to flip open, pull out the kickstand than the typical trifold cases. Just takes longer and a bit more frustrating.
  4. It’s heavy.
  5. The top cover doesn’t always close properly.
I just haven’t been able to find the perfect case for me.

The items I really like about the case:
  1. The slot on the side to charge the pencil when the pencil is in it, it really protects the pencil and easy to carry without worrying about the pencil falling out.
  2. The extra pencil slot on the back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.