Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Hello,

My wife's Macbook Air 2015 recently got its charger cable broken. Since then we've got a new original 60W one... this wattage seemed a better idea than the original 45W for charging an iPad while using the laptop, but really don't know if that makes sense.

A couple of years ago, I used to charge my Retina Macbook Pro 15" on her 45W charger. It worked pretty well if I was just browsing or doing something that didn't require more system resources. So I've decided soldering a new generic cable to her MBA's original charger. It seems to be working on her Macbook Air, but on my rMBP the green/orange lights from the new connector turn off after seconds connected. I wonder if it has something to do with the generic cable or with a macOS update. On her Macbook, the fixed charger is even able to charge a tablet and the battery simultaneously.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
The problem was the connector from the replacement cable. Appearantly it lacks an IC that negotiates something with the Mac. Now I'll need to make some aesthetically ugly fix with Sugru for preventing it to break near the original connector.

IMG_6506.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.