Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshroman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I have an iPod touch 4g and have been looking at some videos on YouTube lately about jailbreaking and now I really want to but I have some concerns about it. What do you think I should do? :confused:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Most concerns are misconceptions. If your a bit technically savvy (Not that you have to be to jailbreak, but it does help, thought honestly most issues if ANY, can be fixed with a simple restart), then go for it. Go for a 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak, and never look back. It's extremely easy to reverse, and does nothing detrimental to the factory performance and features of the device.

There are tons of apps that do alot of great things, from open source stuff that can't be downloaded on the App Store due to GPL issues, to apps that add so much functionality. There have been concerns about certain apps slowing down (especially older generation) devices, but you can simply remove those apps as well! (Hey, you don't have them without a jailbreak right? So It's silly not to jailbreak simply because you can't use all of the apps without detriminting performance.) I have yet to find an app that causes my devices to crash, slow down, or anything.

Joshroman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
What are your concerns, exactly?

Like it might really mess up my iPod and stuff like that.

Most concerns are misconceptions. If your a bit technically savvy (Not that you have to be to jailbreak, but it does help, thought honestly most issues if ANY, can be fixed with a simple restart), then go for it. Go for a 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak, and never look back. It's extremely easy to reverse, and does nothing detrimental to the factory performance and features of the device.

There are tons of apps that do alot of great things, from open source stuff that can't be downloaded on the App Store due to GPL issues, to apps that add so much functionality. There have been concerns about certain apps slowing down (especially older generation) devices, but you can simply remove those apps as well! (Hey, you don't have them without a jailbreak right? So It's silly not to jailbreak simply because you can't use all of the apps without detriminting performance.) I have yet to find an app that causes my devices to crash, slow down, or anything.

Thanks, another problem is that I updated my iPod to iOS 4.3 so if I would I would have to wait for the next jailbreak or go through all the trouble of downgrading. Also I have a lot of games on my iPod that I've gotten really far on, do you think I might loose my progress on them? And one more thing can you still sync your iPod to iTunes even though it's jailbroken?

Last edited by a moderator:

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks, another problem is that I updated my iPod to iOS 4.3 so if I would I would have to wait for the next jailbreak or go through all the trouble of downgrading. Also I have a lot of games on my iPod that I've gotten really far on, do you think I might loose my progress on them? And one more thing can you still sync your iPod to iTunes even though it's jailbroken?

Everything will still be normal. You'll be able to sync and do all that. And your scores will all be there. The only difference is, now you'll be able to install amazing tweaks that Apple would never let you even think of installing.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
You already have to be jailbroken in order to downgrade, so you won't be able to do anything until they release a jailbreak for 4.3 which then you wouldn't need to do a downgrade anyway.

Joshroman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
No worries. Just restore if something goes terrible wrong. Jailbreak 4.2.1 with Greenpois0n.

Yeah but I'm running iOS 4.3 on my iPod so should I just wait for the next jailbreak or go downgrade it?

You already have to be jailbroken in order to downgrade, so you won't be able to do anything until they release a jailbreak for 4.3 which then you wouldn't need to do a downgrade anyway.

Yeah I've heard that it's gonna come within the next two weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
Jailbreaking Pros and Cons

Jailbreaking is so awesome! It is 100% legal, and pretty simple to do.

You get access to fun hacks, themes, and cool enhancements for the iPod touch (or iPad, iPhone, or Apple TV!)

I prefer to use greenpois0n, as it is very simple and quick.

Any questions or good apps, just ask me!

:apple: Josh
Check out my site!

L I G H T I N G

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Will there be jailbreaking for 5th gen iTouch, I feel that Apple is going to ramp up their system and prevent jailbreaking alltogether , after all they lost a lawsuit for making jailbreaking illegal....

Joshroman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Will there be jailbreaking for 5th gen iTouch, I feel that Apple is going to ramp up their system and prevent jailbreaking alltogether , after all they lost a lawsuit for making jailbreaking illegal....

I don't know, they would probably do that more in iOS 5 than the iPod touch 5th gen.

Nickbnsf

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Arizona
No

I recently got an iPod touch 3rd generation so I didn't need my 1st gen touch anymore, so I decided to jailbreak. It was pretty easy to jailbreak it, it took 20 mins. But my iPod became slower and when I wanted to download something from Cydia(the jailbroken app store) most apps were sexual related and were simple and worthless. So I decided to unjailbreak it and become loyal to Apple again. ** It depends though why you would jailbreak it, most apps for jailbroken iPods are now in the App Store. The main benefit to jailbreaking I noticed was the amazing customization on everything, the screen, lock screen, background, and icons. My overall choice would have to be NO.

Last edited:

Joshroman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I recently got an iPod touch 3rd generation so I didn't need my 1st gen touch anymore, so I decided to jailbreak. It was pretty easy to jailbreak it, it took 20 mins. But my iPod became slower and when I wanted to download something from Cydia(the jailbroken app store) most apps were sexual related and were simple and worthless. So I decided to unjailbreak it and become loyal to Apple again. ** It depends though why you would jailbreak it, most apps for jailbroken iPods are now in the App Store. The main benefit to jailbreaking I noticed was the amazing customization on everything, the screen, lock screen, background, and icons. My overall choice would have to be NO.

The reason it was slow was mayby cause it was a 1st gen. iPod Touch

solgae

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
I'll have to throw a bone here......since I only saw responses that say jailbreaking is cool and you should do it.

By jailbreaking your iPhone, you're giving yourself control of the components Apple doesn't want you to control because it can potentially break your device. Deny all you want, but any decent unix system admin will tell you that working with "root" access to the system means a big responsibility is put onto your shoulders. So remember this: nobody, not even the jailbreak authors, will take responsibility if you jailbreak your iPhone and do anything that ended up breaking your phone. You're basically on your own after that point. Either you restore everything back to the factory state and lose all your data in the phone, or you got yourself a very heavy paperweight.

Some people downplay this risk, but this is a serious risk. I had a friend who jailbroke his iPhone, then ended up losing their purchased music after he broke something and was forced to restore the phone because he didn't made any backups to his music. Besides, did you saw any author who guaranteed that their jailbreak process will work 100% of the time? Of course not. Every author will tell you they won't take any blame for using their jailbreak tools. Finally, just because jailbreaking is legal, doesn't mean Apple needs to honor your warranty because you did something that's outside of Apple's warranty conditions. This is true not just for Apple, but for any device manufacturer.

So if you're prepared to take the risk and took precautionary steps (i.e. backing up your data on the phone regularly) against the risks, then by all means go for it. Jailbreaking can be a cool thing, but only after you understand the risk. Otherwise, don't get greedy. Oh, and if you do end up breaking your phone, don't come crying over at the forums blaming on anyone and expect sympathy.

Joshroman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I'll have to throw a bone here......since I only saw responses that say jailbreaking is cool and you should do it.

By jailbreaking your iPhone, you're giving yourself control of the components Apple doesn't want you to control because it can potentially break your device. Deny all you want, but any decent unix system admin will tell you that working with "root" access to the system means a big responsibility is put onto your shoulders. So remember this: nobody, not even the jailbreak authors, will take responsibility if you jailbreak your iPhone and do anything that ended up breaking your phone. You're basically on your own after that point. Either you restore everything back to the factory state and lose all your data in the phone, or you got yourself a very heavy paperweight.

Some people downplay this risk, but this is a serious risk. I had a friend who jailbroke his iPhone, then ended up losing their purchased music after he broke something and was forced to restore the phone because he didn't made any backups to his music. Besides, did you saw any author who guaranteed that their jailbreak process will work 100% of the time? Of course not. Every author will tell you they won't take any blame for using their jailbreak tools. Finally, just because jailbreaking is legal, doesn't mean Apple needs to honor your warranty because you did something that's outside of Apple's warranty conditions. This is true not just for Apple, but for any device manufacturer.

So if you're prepared to take the risk and took precautionary steps (i.e. backing up your data on the phone regularly) against the risks, then by all means go for it. Jailbreaking can be a cool thing, but only after you understand the risk. Otherwise, don't get greedy. Oh, and if you do end up breaking your phone, don't come crying over at the forums blaming on anyone and expect sympathy.

Sure but what if you made a back up?

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
been jailbreaking for over a year now... I don't see myself ever going back. :D It really is that much better (for me).

Kentochan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Virginia, USA
Go for it!

In my opinion, jailbreaking my iPod was the best thing I could've ever done to it. Makes the thing a lot more productive and enjoyable :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.