Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I have a few apps that require the apple legacy version of Java runtime

I tried to install the most recent link I could find for the "legacy Java 6 runtime for macOS 10.13 High Sierra"

This link / download worked for Mojave but won't install for Catalina

Has anybody found a new link or workaround for this?

Edit 22 Nov 2019 - this thread is getting long and I thought it might help new members or others searching for this solution to go directly to the pertinent part of the the thread - post # 12 by bogdanw - at this link

Edit 28 March 2021 update - here is another part of the thread updated by bogdanw - see post 115

Last edited:

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
This may be tough as Java 6 on the Mac was only provided by Apple. Oracle/Open JDK didn't take over to providing binaries until Java 7.

Do you specifically need Java 6 or can you run it with a later version of Java?

Reactions: mikzn

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Has anybody found a new link or workaround for this?
1. Disable SIP (csrutil disable in Recovery)
2. Mount system as writable with
Code:
sudo mount -wu /
3. Download and install
Code:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/21/49/091-7363/o9veiecea89qkdmk94met1af4wu2fuwn2j/JavaForOSX.pkg

Here is an old version of Angry IP running in Catalina
angry.jpg

Reactions: adib and mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
1. Disable SIP (csrutil disable in Recovery)
2. Mount system as writable with
Code:
sudo mount -wu /
3. Download and install
Code:
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/21/49/091-7363/o9veiecea89qkdmk94met1af4wu2fuwn2j/JavaForOSX.pkg

Here is an old version of Angry IP running in Catalina
View attachment 855922

Cool and thanks

do you think I should try and point the app to the newer version of Java ? I tried it on El Cap and wasted a lot of time with no success.

here is info on the most important app - For Me

<<<<<<<<<<<<
iBackup download links
Download the appropriate version of the iBackup installer for your operating system of choice from the links below:

iBackup Installer for MacOS

The above links will download a zip file containing the installer and installation instructions. You may need to authorize software installation from unknown third parties in order to proceed, depending on the version of your operating system. Please refer to the corresponding widget in the Control Panel of your Windows PC or System Preferences of your Mac.

iBackup requires Java to operate, the 32-bit version is recommended to avoid issues with most recent multithreaded versions of the Java Runtime Environment. Make sure Java is installed and fully working.

<<<<<<<<

Last edited:

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
thanks - again - I thought disabling SIP might do the trick but it still will not install :(

java6-high-sierra.png

java6-required.png

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
thanks - again - I thought disabling SIP might do the trick but it still will not install :(
If you installed JavaForOSX.pkg from above, you don't need to install Java for OS X 2017-001. They are almost the same. JavaForOSX.pkg is JVMVersion 1.6.0_65-b14-462 and Java for OS X 2017-001 is VMVersion 1.6.0_65-b14-468.
Anyway, iBackup doesn't work in my VMware vm. It crashes with this message:
Process: JavaApplicationStub [784]
Path: /Applications/iBackup.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
Identifier: iBackup
Version: 3.1
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: JavaApplicationStub [784]

Crashed Thread: 24 Java: AWT-EventQueue-0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _CGContextSetAllowsAcceleration
Referenced from: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries/libawt.jnilib
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices
Sorry, it might be the end for iBackup.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Hey thanks for the info and trying it

when I tried to install java with your link I also got an error - see below - using Beta 7

java-link.png

[doublepost=1567586732][/doublepost]
Sorry, it might be the end for iBackup.

at least it still works on Mojave :D

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Hey thanks for the info and trying it
when I tried to install java with your link I also got an error - see below - using Beta 7
at least it still works on Mojave :D
That message should not be displayed if you run sudo mount -wu / in Terminal.
After that, you will get this message and the installation continues if you click on Install Anyway.
anyway.jpg

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
you were right I must have messed up - tried again and your link installed Java

but like you said iBackup crashed :(

Process: JavaApplicationStub [784]
Path: /Applications/iBackup.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
Identifier: iBackup
Version: 3.1
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: JavaApplicationStub [784]
User ID: 501

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15 (19A546d)
Report Version: 12

System Integrity Protection: disabled

Crashed Thread: 34 Java: AWT-EventQueue-0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _CGContextSetAllowsAcceleration
Referenced from: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries/libawt.jnilib
Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
you were right
I was wrong :) 1.6.0_65-b14-462 and 1.6.0_65-b14-468 are not the same; and iBackup works with the latter installed.
You can use Pacifist https://www.charlessoft.com to force install Java for OS X 2017-001. Open the JavaForOSX.pkg from the dmg with Pacifist, select Install to Default Location, leave the check on Use Administrator Privileges and you will be asked for your password twice. If some errors occur, just click on continue.
javaf.jpg

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
^^^^^^ thanks again

I thought it might have been the java version but kinda thew in the towel

I really like iBackup - so thanks once again for your help - will definitely try it later

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
will definitely try it later
Here is a simpler way, an AppleScript that removes the installation limits from Java for macOS 2017-001.
Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select javaforosx.dmg:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "hdiutil mount " & quoted form of POSIX path of theDMG
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Java\\ for\\ macOS\\ 2017-001/JavaForOSX.pkg ~/tmp"
do shell script "hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Java\\ for\\ macOS\\ 2017-001/"
do shell script "sed -i '' 's/return false/return true/g' ~/tmp/Distribution"
do shell script "pkgutil --flatten ~/tmp ~/Desktop/Java.pkg"
do shell script "rm -rf ~/tmp"
display dialog "Modified Java.pkg saved on desktop" buttons {"Ok"}
The script asks you to select the dmg file, opens the file, unpacks JavaForOSX.pkg, modifies the Distribution file and saves a new pkg file on Desktop, Java.pkg, that can be installed on Catalina.

peteski0007

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2019
Australia
Here is a simpler way, an AppleScript that removes the installation limits from Java for macOS 2017-001.
Code:
set theDMG to choose file with prompt "Please select javaforosx.dmg:" of type {"dmg"}
do shell script "pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Java\\ for\\ macOS\\ 2017-001/JavaForOSX.pkg ~/tmp"
The script asks you to select the dmg file, opens the file, unpacks JavaForOSX.pkg, modifies the Distribution file and saves a new pkg file on Desktop, Java.pkg, that can be installed on Catalina.

Works like a charm! you are a life saver my friend, cheers!

Reactions: Diacher and mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

wow - it works - very easy - this will save a lot of legacy software (Java 6 related) users a lot of time and money - very cool and thanks for your efforts - awesome

FWIW - I was able to launch iBackup App and sync my iPad Pro passwords and serials etc. to Catalina

Reactions: adib and bogdanw

Bisham Singh

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Code:

Thanks! I used vi to edit Distribution and it worked like a charm.

jgjg

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
Thanks! I used vi to edit Distribution and it worked like a charm.
Hi, I'm not very experienced when it comes to using terminal commands. So I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Could you please tell me exactly what to type in the terminal to allow Java SE 6 to work? I see the code above, but I don't know what I should cut and paste from above. Could you walk me through it as if I were a third grader? Thanks so much in advance. I upgraded to Catalina and I'm having the same problem you had. Can't get Java SE 6 to install. Get the message: can't install newer version already exist.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Could you walk me through
Download Java for OS X 2017-001 https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572
Open AppleScript (/Applications/Utilities/Script Editor.app) and copy-paste the code
Code:
Run the script (⌘+R), select the javaforosx.dmg, wait for the script to finish and install the Java.pkg saved on your desktop.

angaven

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2019
Code:

¡¡Awesome!!

ropsten

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Download Java for OS X 2017-001 https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572
Open AppleScript (/Applications/Utilities/Script Editor.app) and copy-paste the code
Code:
Run the script (⌘+R), select the javaforosx.dmg, wait for the script to finish and install the Java.pkg saved on your desktop.

It worked for me as well. Thank you!!!

carinco

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
Spain
I have tried this but with no luck. When I the script, (⌘+R), it just keeps running, I even left it overnight with no luck. Am I doing something wrong?? All help really appreciated.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I have tried this but with no luck. When I the script, (⌘+R), it just keeps running, I even left it overnight with no luck. Am I doing something wrong?? All help really appreciated.
Open javaforosx.dmg, open the Terminal and run the following commands one by one:
Code:
pkgutil --expand /Volumes/Java\ for\ macOS\ 2017-001/JavaForOSX.pkg ~/tmp

sed -i '' 's/return false/return true/g' ~/tmp/Distribution

pkgutil --flatten ~/tmp ~/Desktop/Java.pkg

carinco

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
Spain
I think I have found the problem I cannot find javaforosx.dmg I can only find javaforosx.pkg

Not sure where the .dmg file will be???

Forsooth

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
Code:

That worked for me and I got the application I was trying to run opened easily! The problem I'm having now is that the application requires finding a file and opening it, and for some reason when I try to open files from within the application now, it tells me all my folders are empty. Any idea why that would be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.