Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Possibly an ego second-to-none, or maybe just extremely sure of himself to the point of "feeling" 'No one could possibly not like all of the wonderful things I've created", and other such ego-related traits... I actually hate to see Mr. Ive leave. That means there are no Jobs-era employees left at Apple? And just when Apple needs some serious grounding once again.

Jony Ive knows a potentially sinking ship when he sees it. He sees most of the changes made by Jobs that brought Apple back from near extinction have been all but erased since Jobs' passing... and Apple, at least in regards to the Mac, is apparently headed back to the days of isolationism, proprietary systems not upgradable, inflexible customer relations... and the list goes on, IMHO.

Not saying Apple will "bite the dust" any time soon. But I'll guarantee Mr. Ive sees the potential given the boneheaded moves at Apple as of late.

PLEASE... I do not need Apple fanboys-at-any-cost coming at me to defend the company that makes their lives worth living... I have been one of those fanboys since 1995. But at least from my point of view Apple is making decisions, or rather mistakes, they were making back when I became a radical Apple fan and evangelist... fearing then the company that produced the OS I fell in love with was headed for, again, extinction.

I don't think Jony Ive leaving is a very good sign for Apple's future. I hope I'm wrong.
[automerge]1575028593[/automerge]
So that's why they released a new laptop with better cooling?

Yeah... so that's why they released a new Macbook "Pro"... complete with memory, processor and drive soldered to the motherboard!

Oh, excuse me, Apple... I meant to say "Logic Board." How neanderthal of me. I didn't mean to upset your technological sensitivities and academic prowess by using the term "motherboard". Those "Genius" Bar dudes will have coronaries if they see this post! :p

How silly and insensitive of me!

Last edited:

shadowmatt

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2005
Excellent news

We might now get laptops with working keyboards, enough ports to connect our devices and with enough height to allow both a decent battery size and cooling.

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011
I have never heard this before. But honestly I don't care who designed it, its better than the phone designs we have today.

It’s detailed in Jony Ive by Leander Kahney or whatever his name is. Ive contributed but he was a manager, evaluating other people’s work.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Breaking News: Former employee not listed with current employees.
[automerge]1575034500[/automerge]
The notch is necessary for FaceID, and at least Apple made it into a design statement that are being copied by everybody. (Unlike Google who made theirs worse into thick bezel).

So did Essential, who had the first notch, copy Apple as well?

Reactions: PC_tech

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
i wonder now what happens. There is no star running the product show anymore. When this happened in late 1980s and 1990 Apple went into the toilet
APPL is screwed. Tim Cook is operations, it's not hard to optimize supply chain and rehash a +1 device each year. But APPL has no vision and it's because of Tim Cook. He is the type of person that wants to maintain a "positive space" over create the best products. The removal of Scott Forstall was a sign that the new APPL would not fight for the best ideas. Cook's vision is social justice + finance, awful. Expect APPL to fall behind Google and Microsoft in the 2020s.
[automerge]1575035360[/automerge]
That would be the day I divest myself of all AAPL stock & start weaning myself off the ecosystem.
That kind of toxicity being reintroduced would eat Apple from the inside, out.
that toxicity is what breeds great ideas m8. your safe space is stagnation.
[automerge]1575035455[/automerge]
Irrelevant. (Scott Forstall, Apple’s highly toxic SVP who headed up iOS software engineering, was the head to roll after Apple Maps flopped initially in 2012 and he refused to sign an apology letter, and has since only managed to find work producing a Broadway show and as an “advisor” to Snap, which says a lot about how badly other companies want him.)
1. clearly apple maps was an excuse to get rid of him. 2. steve jobs was considered toxic by many people too.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
The notch is necessary for FaceID, and at least Apple made it into a design statement that are being copied by everybody. (Unlike Google who made theirs worse into thick bezel).
I would prefer a slightly larger bezel to the notch - that was an Apple design decision which was one of several options. As to other brands copying Apple, you are unfortunately correct. If they only copied Apple's best innovative decisions that would be okay, but they tend to copy Apple in the not-so-good categories as well, such as the notch, dropping the headphone jack, dropping ports, and gluing in non-user replaceable batteries.

A writeup on the notch:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/14/16306298/apple-iphone-x-screen-notch

Luis Rossmann on companies copying Apple indiscriminately:

Reactions: decafjava

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Maybe because Scott doesn’t WANT to work at another tech company? Scott stumbled into computer science. He wasn’t some computer geek before he got into CS, his original passion was for theatre.

Scott was a true Steve Jobs lieutenant. I can’t imagine he would want to work at any tech company other than Apple. Anyone in the industry who knows him all say he is a brilliant system architect and platform leader. So let’s not trash the guy who led a project in 2005 that literally seemed impossible at the time, and made the groundbreaking software platform that literally changed software platforms forever. The level of latency and responsiveness to multitouch input that allowed you to just flick the screen and have it scroll with physics and momentum, running on wimpy handheld ARM hardware, genuinely seemed impossible in 2007. Even in 2019, other platforms still haven’t been able to match UIKit. Truly masterful work in system level architecture.

Federighi is a very capable leader in his own right, but nothing on his resume comes close to matching Forstalls work from iPhone OS 1+2
A person can have done amazing work and still be a terrible person. Don’t get why it’s so hard to separate the two, but you can certainly give due credit to one and criticize the other.

Seriously, when Apple Maps launched, it was a disaster. Sure, the media and tech blogs probably blew it out of proportion as he claimed, but regardless, it was a massive and very public humiliation for Apple. No one had to be fired for it necessarily — if Scott Forstall had swallowed his pride and signed the apology letter, he may well still have been working at Apple today, but he forced Tim Cook to sign it instead and forced the best person to help him keep his job against him. In fact, nothing would have underscored Apple’s commitment at the time to improving Maps than standing by Forstall, but they didn’t. And while he had plenty of foes, he didn’t really have any allies to take up for him in that mess, either. So, his head really didn’t have to roll for Maps, but no one shed a tear when it did.

Also, I don’t buy for a second that he’d refuse to work at any tech company that’s not Apple. Even Steve Jobs did that by founding NeXT so that he could “win” (and he did). You’re going to claim that Forstall suddenly lost the drive that delivered his brilliant work (even though it also delivered a toxic working environment for his colleagues and subordinates)?

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Wow again so much lack of nuance in these posts. Thank you Scott Forstall AND Jony Ive for all your contributions to Apple and tech. Mistakes were made by both and surely there is different perception of on the directions both took in regard to skeumorhpism and "thiness". There are also still talented people at Apple in my view anyway, but never will everyone be happy.

Best of luck to both.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Better battery life with larger batteries in thicker enclosures.
The iPhone 6 is thinner and lighter than every iPhone that succeeded it. The 6s, 7, and 8 were the same form but thicker and heavier for some reason. Everything after was different, but they're all heavier and often larger.

src: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/
[automerge]1575055482[/automerge]
The iPhone 4 was his best work. Period.
The 4 is the prettiest design. The 5 is slightly more practical, just small enough to use with one hand. Would rather have a 5S/SE over anything newer if it weren't for the fact that they're too outdated to run new apps, and that is totally artificial.

Last edited:
Reactions: dysamoria and Feyl

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
Lol I can’t believe wasted the manpower to either create a script to see who in Apple’s leadership changed daily or someone actually checks everyday manually.

Either way, there are plenty of other things people could have used their time better for.

With ALL due respect, and yes, I know this is an open forum, so excuse me as I ask the question:

With ALL of the problems going on at Apple (especially as it relates to the Mac) why are so many STILL going on about the stupid iPhone "NOTCH"?

The (clears throat) NOTCH is the least of Apple's problems. I don't care for the notch either. However, they did make the phone/screen larger in order to accommodate the dreaded notch. And unlike their MAC offerings as of late, there is nothing better in the phone market. So again, why all of this fuss about the notch when Apple's only products worth considering in the future may well be the iPhone and iPad, and ONLY the iPhone and iPad?

I mean, post about whatever suits one's fancy... but Apple has larger problems. Maybe Apple needs to become a phone/pad-only company. They sure aren't thrilling this long-time Apple "Pro" consumer any longer. All of those leaving the company who had anything to do with Apple's success prior to Jobs' unfortunate and untimely departure is NOT a good thing... in any way, shape, or form.

BTW... whoever the moron is at Apple that decided to go back to soldering drives, processors and now even memory to the "Logic Board" is anything but logical... and needs to be directed out of the front door... immediately!

Reactions: PC_tech
APPL is screwed. Tim Cook is operations, it's not hard to optimize supply chain and rehash a +1 device each year. But APPL has no vision and it's because of Tim Cook. He is the type of person that wants to maintain a "positive space" over create the best products. The removal of Scott Forstall was a sign that the new APPL would not fight for the best ideas. Cook's vision is social justice + finance, awful. Expect APPL to fall behind Google and Microsoft in the 2020s.

I absolutely agree. I get so tired of Cook's never-ending social engineering when he's supposed to be continuing Apple's legacy of "Insanely Great Products." Absolutely nothing against Tim Cook as a person, or his social justice endeavors. But Apple needs to concentrate on what it's always done best.

I know of at least 7 long-time Apple customers who have gone back to full-time Windows usage. They, like me, love the Mac OS, but cannot justify what Apple is doing and where they seem to be heading with their Mac products.

I hope Apple as a whole reconsiders recent moves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feyl

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I absolutely agree. I get so tired of Cook's never-ending social engineering when he's supposed to be continuing Apple's legacy of "Insanely Great Products." Absolutely nothing against Tim Cook as a person, or his social justice endeavors. But Apple needs to concentrate on what it's always done best.

I know of at least 7 long-time Apple customers who have gone back to full-time Windows usage. They, like me, love the Mac OS, but cannot justify what Apple is doing and where they seem to be heading with their Mac products.

I hope Apple as a whole reconsiders recent moves.

social engineering?

Reactions: dysamoria

Pootie Tang

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2017
San Diego
I feel bad for the folks who appear to be really angry with Tim Cook as Apple's CEO. Most likely he has six more years on the job if he retires at age 65 and the only people who really matter concerning Tim Cook's job performance, the Apple Board of Directors, awarded him his largest ever bonus for his job performance in 2018: $12 million (a 22% pay raise) and in August he was awarded an additional $115 million worth of vested Apple stock for meeting pre-set job performance metrics. Obviously Apple's Board of Directors considers their Chief Executive Officer to be a superstar.

Reactions: I7guy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
With ALL due respect, and yes, I know this is an open forum, so excuse me as I ask the question:

With ALL of the problems going on at Apple (especially as it relates to the Mac) why are so many STILL going on about the stupid iPhone "NOTCH"?

The (clears throat) NOTCH is the least of Apple's problems. I don't care for the notch either. However, they did make the phone/screen larger in order to accommodate the dreaded notch. And unlike their MAC offerings as of late, there is nothing better in the phone market. So again, why all of this fuss about the notch when Apple's only products worth considering in the future may well be the iPhone and iPad, and ONLY the iPhone and iPad?

I mean, post about whatever suits one's fancy... but Apple has larger problems. Maybe Apple needs to become a phone/pad-only company. They sure aren't thrilling this long-time Apple "Pro" consumer any longer. All of those leaving the company who had anything to do with Apple's success prior to Jobs' unfortunate and untimely departure is NOT a good thing... in any way, shape, or form.

BTW... whoever the moron is at Apple that decided to go back to soldering drives, processors and now even memory to the "Logic Board" is anything but logical... and needs to be directed out of the front door... immediately!

Apple’s problem is having to support the 20-30% of pro mac users whose needs cannot be met by entry level macs and iPads. And I am not sure what solution there is besides continuing to sell them familiarity.

To me, this is an issue because I feel that Apple’s long term success hinges on them making technology more personal, and anything that takes away from that goal ends up being a hurdle.

I wonder if Apple is supporting legacy workflows to the detriment of their long-standing mission of making technology more personal and relevant? However, Apple not have much of a choice in this matter, if they don’t want to risk losing the ~1% of users responsible for creating much of the content that is consumed by the other 99% of users.

Apple may have to take one step back here in order to move two steps forward elsewhere, it seems.

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Good riddance prick

now let’s get devices that actually don’t screw over the customer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.