Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Just bought the newest seventh gen iPad for $249 at Target. I saw the most recent keynote that Apple TV Plus is included form one year for free. Am
Wondering if this can extend to the rest of my family? Does family sharing need to be turned on?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think you can have 5 id's which they can use where ever. Check Apple or reviews on this board. Don't think you need family sharing turned on.

Reactions: jbachandouris

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I think you can have 5 id's which they can use where ever. Check Apple or reviews on this board. Don't think you need family sharing turned on.

I just set up the free year with my family sharing account and all 3 accounts can access Apple TV plus for free so far. but seeing as how there are two more family members that are not currently on my family sharing account, im wanting to find a way to get them access to the Apple TV plus service as well.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I just set up the free year with my family sharing account and all 3 accounts can access Apple TV plus for free so far. but seeing as how there are two more family members that are not currently on my family sharing account, im wanting to find a way to get them access to the Apple TV plus service as well.
they all have to be in your Family sharing account. No way about it.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
they all have to be in your Family sharing account. No way about it.
I just read that too. I get it. Very Apple. I don’t mind it actually that we have to be part of a Family Sharing. But I don’t like the Apple TV app. Seems purposely confusing to try to get accidental rental purchases and the like.

theartist123

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
UK
Sorry to jump on this thread, but:

I have purchased an iPhone using my Apple account for someone in my family group, iPhone will be in Family for subs etc, Does anyone know if the free year activates for all in the family if it activated by their Apple ID and not mine??

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Sorry to jump on this thread, but:

I have purchased an iPhone using my Apple account for someone in my family group, iPhone will be in Family for subs etc, Does anyone know if the free year activates for all in the family if it activated by their Apple ID and not mine??
I believe if anyone under family sharing activates it then it allows the rest of the family to take advantage of the free year of Apple TV. So presumably one person in the family could be an Apple product every year and continue to get the service for free. At least until Apple discontinued this promotion a year or two or three down the line.

Reactions: theartist123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.