Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
For Christmas I got a PS4. I've never had a PlayStation or any non-Nintendo console before. :)

I've only played around for a few minutes, but so far I'm very impressed by the controller! Entering text with motion controls and/or the touchpad felt really cool.

What advice or suggestions can you give a complete PS4 newb?

• I was surprised when I popped a game disc in that it needed a 25GB download. Two games and my hard-drive was already 1/10th full. How do you guys manage your space, delete games when you beat them?

• It's a little daunting seeing the different online options; PS+, PS Now, Instant Game Collection, etc.? What do you recommend as far as the services you can subscribe to?

• Are there demos for games? Most/some/all? I tried finding a demo for Tetris Effect and wasn't able to.

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
For Christmas I got a PS4. I've never had a PlayStation or any non-Nintendo console before. :)

I've only played around for a few minutes, but so far I'm very impressed by the controller! Entering text with motion controls and/or the touchpad felt really cool.

What advice or suggestions can you give a complete PS4 newb?

• I was surprised when I popped a game disc in that it needed a 25GB download. Two games and my hard-drive was already 1/10th full. How do you guys manage your space, delete games when you beat them?

• It's a little daunting seeing the different online options; PS+, PS Now, Instant Game Collection, etc.? What do you recommend as far as the services you can subscribe to?

• Are there demos for games? Most/some/all? I tried finding a demo for Tetris Effect and wasn't able to.

Welcome to the family!

-Yeah I just got the physical for Red Dead and it had the same process, it's a normal thing for the bigger worlds it seems. I have around 10 games that already took half of my 1TB when I got my Pro yesterday. If your worried about spacing (especially if you have 500GB) you can do the norm and get a bigger drive on Amazon. It's up to how much you like the game. I tend to keep the ones I play most often so don't sweat it that much. Just don't micro delete things! If you run out of space and do NOT want to delete your games find a bigger drive - you'll be fine

-You'll get mixed reviews, but PS+ is something i've always had. I, personally, can't pass up deals (it's a flaw) so I buy a ******** of games with the discounts. However, they have free games you can literally just add to your library and it makes its worth, in my opinion. For example, they just gave us Onrush (reg $60) for free and it was a blast watching my family play that last night. Lucky for you, Sony offers a 14 day trial and you can see if you like it!

PS Now is a streaming service for gaming. I don't like it but you might if you like the streaming thing. Still, they offer a 7 day trial so try away!

I had to look up IGC but it looks like a component for PS+ so just refer back to that pack's benefits - sorry.

-There are definitely demos for games: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-ALLDEMOS/1
Unfortunately, the Tetris demo ended on 11/5/18. Sorry bud.

(Hopefully) that answered some questions. I recommend getting PS+ and maybe try the trial for PS Now if your into that sort of thing. Game on.

Reactions: scottcampbell

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Hey, I got one for X-mas also. Been playing spider-man and Fallout 4. Still getting used to dual sticks instead of mouse/keyboard. Ah well, I had to learn sometime.

Reactions: scottcampbell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.