Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Have it running on three computers as we speak, my MacBook Air, Windows laptop, and a Windows Quad-Core desktop. Hope to add a lot of points to your (our) team! The two Windows machine run all the time because I hate Windows and use my Mac for basically everything.

Glad to join, my Grandmother just got diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinson's, so I chose that as my project, but will do others as time goes on.

Any tips, advice on f@h since I am brand new to this?

Once again, glad to be part of the team, and thank you to all of you who do this. We will truly make a difference. :)

:apple:

Reactions: mmomega

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Welcome to the team, SRLMJ23

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. A good reason to join the cause.

Tips ? Difficult to say. We would need to know more about your individual setup (e.g, post the first 200 lines of log file).

Are you going to fold mainly on CPU, GPU or a mix ? Specially the PC could host some dedicated GPU cards for folding yielding significant more point on your donor name. Depend on the GPU, though. NVidia with the current Maxwell cards have an amazing balance from performance and watt transformed in heat. But they also have some significant driver problem causing right now some restrictions.

But first at all: make sure to register a so called passkey. Once you returned 10 Workunits sucessfully you will receive higher points (as quick return bonus); don't miss that ;-)

Also keep in mind: folding cost money in the long run: hardware, Internet and energy bill need to get paid. Watch out how those develop.

If you have any specific question: just ask us :)

----------

Oh, and what is your donor ID ? we can a bit look after your :eek:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Thanks for the reply...

My donor name is SRL23.

I run the software on my Late 2010 MacBook Air, which even though it has an Nvidia GeForce 320M it appears that it cannot be used to fold. My Late 2010 Air has a 1.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4gb of RAM. It does pretty good and it does not get terribly hot at all.

My second laptop I run the software on is a Dell Studio 15 with a Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.20ghz, 4gb RAM, with an ATI Radeon 4500 series, which also sadly does not support use of the GPU. However, it is pretty speedy. Currently this laptop is using Windows 10 Technical Preview (64-bit.) No issues with the software and Windows 10.

My third machine is a desktop. A Dell Inspiron 546 with a AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad-Core at 2.40ghz, with 8GB RAM, onboard Radeon HD 3200 graphics. This machine is using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit edition. Just did a fresh install of it about an hour ago and am currently installing all the updates. Once that is finished, I will install the f@h software and see how it does. Should be pretty quick with the quad-core cpu? I know AMD is certainly not up to par with Intel, however, this particular cpu did get excellent reviews from the articles I have read. Obviously I would prefer a quad-core i7 but hey, it is what it is.

I plan on upgrading this system to 16GB of RAM, and putting some type of graphics card in it. I prefer Radeon cards, but if Nvidia cards are better for f@h I would get one of those as this desktop is basically going to be completely dedicated to f@h. My desktop has just sat there for a couple years now as I hate Windows, and just really never had any reason to use it. Same goes for my Dell laptop. I use my two MacBook Air's...my 2013 being my main system and my late 2010 my backup that I still use quite a bit though.

What matters the most, besides a good CPU? Does RAM matter much or no? I know a good graphics card matters so you can have the GPU do the work as well. Any recommendations for a good GPU? I do not need anything crazy as I do not game. It has only one PCI-e x16 slot.

I have Time Warners fastest internet package which is 100/down 15/up...I would imagine internet only factors in to download and upload your work? I thought I read somewhere that the faster the connection the better though, but I could be wrong?

Once I get the desktop setup and running the f@h software I will post my log information, since that will be the workhorse computer.

I did setup a passkey, so I am good there. I have completed two files so far, one on each laptop. The Dell is close to finishing another. Feel free to look me up, I am happy to be doing this for the science and medical fields. I hope OUR work eventually comes across a cure for these dreaded diseases!

Godspeed my friends, and any answers to my questions above would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

~Shawn

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I plan on upgrading this system to 16GB of RAM, and putting some type of graphics card in it. I prefer Radeon cards, but if Nvidia cards are better for f@h I would get one of those as this desktop is basically going to be completely dedicated to f@h. My desktop has just sat there for a couple years now as I hate Windows, and just really never had any reason to use it. Same goes for my Dell laptop. I use my two MacBook Air's...my 2013 being my main system and my late 2010 my backup that I still use quite a bit though.

What matters the most, besides a good CPU? Does RAM matter much or no? I know a good graphics card matters so you can have the GPU do the work as well. Any recommendations for a good GPU? I do not need anything crazy as I do not game. It has only one PCI-e x16 slot.

I have Time Warners fastest internet package which is 100/down 15/up...I would imagine internet only factors in to download and upload your work? I thought I read somewhere that the faster the connection the better though, but I could be wrong?

Once I get the desktop setup and running the f@h software I will post my log information, since that will be the workhorse computer.

RAM is not the most important parameter for folding, I have 8GB RAM and drive 3 GPU and one SMP slots. I would say no need for 16GB on a dedicated folding rig doing nothing else. Not hurting either.
A fast internet sure helps to return the WU faster. This is relevant for the quick return bonus as that count with the timestamp from Stanford on full receiving a result. A slow internet can cost some points.

As for GPU: the new Maxwells doing a great job with low power. I have two GTX 970 (and one GTX 780). The 970 makes me 260kPPD, the 780 around 155; with half the power draw. Also read good things about GTX 750ti. Amazing.

BUT: there is right now only one project supported due to a driver issue to be fixed by nVidia. Getting a Maxwell right now is a bit of a gamble. I would wait (ok, I'm lying here: I didn't wait :eek: ) to reduce risk of getting no work.

If you go with a GPu in your rig please keep in mind that each GPU also need one CPU core ; but the reduced points for CPU folding will be easy compensated by increased GPU contribution.

What you also could consider is to install Linux on the Dell instead of Windows; I have good experience with CentOS 7 right now; but also Ubuntu worked (except the latest 14.10; drove me crazy); no overclocking though; but I don't do anyway.

Keep folding !

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Thanks for the reply ChristianJapan!

I am looking at these two cards:

This is the GeForce GTX 750 Ti:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487025

This is the GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-487-024

For only $10.00 more, I should just go for the Superclocked version, no?

I am not sure the difference in clock speed will matter much with the Folding, however, for $10.00 more it just makes sense to get the better version for so cheap.

Here are the clock differences:

Normal 750Ti:

Core Clock: 1020mhz
Boost Clock: 1085mhz

Superclocked 750Ti:

Core Clock: 1176mhz
Boost Clock: 1255mhz

Since in my desktop I have a quad-core CPU, I will only lose one of my CPU cores from the GPU, so I will still have 3 cores to go for CPU, correct? If not, maybe I misunderstanding what you mean when you say I will lose a CPU core for points because of the GPU?

Otherwise, I am letting the two Windows computers Fold 24/7.

One quick question: Do different Work Units take longer to do? I noticed on my latest WU, my TPF increased dramatically and thought maybe something had happened to my computer, however, nothing is wrong with the computer so I *assume* different WU's take longer and are more complex etc. Just wanted to ask you to get a definitive answer. Looking forward to your responses! Thanks again.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Sometimes WU have problems with overclocking and fail. Also temperature and stress for the hardware increase (at least a bit). I personally don't be in overclocking and keep all hardware on stock speed; makes it easier in 24/7 mode. And also a bit less energy.
But if the factory overclocked card can be underclokced (back to spec) go for it.

That with the CPU count you understood correct: you would have one CPU a a lot with 3 and one GPU slot with a GTX 750Ti. and the GPU will produce much more points.

Regarding length of WU: Ohh yes, some of them are monster WU and run even more then a day; others or done in matter of few hours. Nothing wrong with you system.

But if you fold 24/7 that's perfectly fine; except you see nothing on the statistics with respect to PPD a during the day. But the a big jump in points come.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I just joined Folding@home as well (my Late 2014 Mac Mini i5). Are you worried about longevity on your air? I have the Macbook Air 11 (2015 i5). I'm thinking about adding my PC gaming rig @ home (i7 950 with an Nvidia gpu GTX 580) but electricity and additional heat in the house may just have to wait for winter.

I applied for a passkey about 30 mins ago but still haven't seen it in my email. Does it take awhile to get? Edit: Just got it. It took almost an hour. :D

Edit2: WOW.... doing a passkey I went from 1100 points per day to 6556 points per day...

Edit3: Windows gaming desktop with GPU says estimated 47,610+ points per day with gpu. Yehaw

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristianVirtual
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.