Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shackss

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Here's the $5k computer Apple is selling with their "an improvement over Sierra" operating system.
https://imgur.com/a/25Gfefw

So it looks like they removed the post from r/apple and also got downvoted massively. I've uploaded the video to imgur.

Last edited:

Shackss

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Anything can be anything out of context.

Could it be an issue? Sure.

He could also be rendering several 8k videos in the background or have been screwing around with settings.

The internet is the internet.
This was a computer in a reputable Apple Reseller shop. It was just standing there doing nothing. It's not a hardware issue. I'm willing to bet $100 this is a problem with High Sierra.

esk

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2016
Yes it is high sierra. I'm experiencing the same on my imac 2017. Various animations in the os are really jerky and laggy.

I'm hoping that this is caused by the new metal 2 and that it will be fixed in 10.14

Bollockser

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2014
I have tried High Sierra twice now, and within 1-2 days gone back to El Capitan, precisely because of this kind of issue. It stutters and lags doing basic finder functions. When doing any kind of actual work it's even worse, beachball and borderline crashes. This is on a machine with maxed out RAM and brand new SSD.

Ive encountered issues with Apple software before, thinking maybe my machine at the time was just not up to snuff, but then only to find out that the current top of the line maxed out machines suffer the same issues due to Apple's crap QC.

Always keep your older software and OS installers! The versions you love may be replaced by "upgrades" which are complete crap.

Reactions: maverick28

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
This was a computer in a reputable Apple Reseller shop. It was just standing there doing nothing. It's not a hardware issue. I'm willing to bet $100 this is a problem with High Sierra.

reboot.

HS is great here, mostly (buggy in some places, but i AM on a beta. in my experience, every version of the OS has it's buggy moments. but am getting my work done (on 2 macs), and am happy (enough).

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
OS X always sucked when maximizing windows. This is the case since Tiger at least unless you use the built in fullscreen option.

The old one hasn't been updated ever since and is slow as hell on any Mac, it's not an iMac Pro issue per se but just a software issue that affects ALL macs.

Reactions: martyjmclean

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
OS X always sucked when maximizing windows. This is the case since Tiger at least unless you use the built in fullscreen option.

I kind of agree. Look at this: Mavericks OS X 10.9.5, resizing windows in different apps.

It should be noted that it's up to how the app was written and on what foundation its code-base rests. For example, Firefox 70 is better in all tasks than every version of Safari in both Mavericks and High Sierra, and its UI looks clever and nicer than that of post-Mavericks Safari, especially on non-Retina screens (that can be applied to other apps and the OS as a whole) – all colors either washed out or over-saturated, and the overall tonal rage instills depressing mood contributing to tiredness and inability to fully concentrate on my work as opposed to when I switch to Mavericks which feels like a native habitat and immediately sparks my energy.
High Sierra is the least liked macOS on my approval scale, though. Runs hotter, window transformations range from very quick ones to stuttering (full-screen – normal, going white before switching back to non-fullscreen). The only positive thing is I have newer versions of apps or just apps that were never made for older versions, otherwise HS is not of a very high value for me.

Last edited:

smokesletsgo

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
I kind of agree. Look at this: Mavericks OS X 10.9.5, resizing windows in different apps.

It should be noted that it's up to how the app was written and on what foundation its code-base rests. For example, Firefox 70 is better in all tasks than every version of Safari in both Mavericks and High Sierra, and its UI looks clever and nicer than that of post-Mavericks Safari, especially on non-Retina screens (that can be applied to other apps and the OS as a whole) – all colors either washed out or over-saturated, and the overall tonal rage instills depressing mood contributing to tiredness and inability to fully concentrate on my work as opposed to when I switch to Mavericks which feels like a native habitat and immediately sparks my energy.
High Sierra is the least liked macOS on my approval scale, though. Runs hotter, window transformations range from very quick ones to stuttering (full-screen – normal, going white before switching back to non-fullscreen). The only positive thing is I have newer versions of apps or just apps that were never made for older versions, otherwise HS is not of a very high value for me.

Very true, but I would add that the transition began since Mavericks. They stripped down the skeuomorphic details from application windows/backgrounds, the color over saturation began also on Mavericks, it's very noticeable and finally complete transition was Yosemite. I just installed Lion on my MacBook Air 2011 - the last Jobs era Mac OS and it really is a piece of art. Every detail is thought through, the typeface, the colors, it's like you got a new screen - even contrast is better, black isn't washed out anymore as it is on High Sierra and newer, even wallpaper is carefully picked that blends in beautifully with the dock and it's icons - you can just see that someone cared to make the OS stand out and I appreciate that. Just as you said 'native habitat and immediately sparks my energy'. Some might think it's pointless to work on such details but I believe this insightful attention to environment and it's details, which is apparent in OS X such as Lion, is what made Apple successfull. Today I do not care one bit for new macOS, I'd even rather use Windows. For the time being Lion works for me, but as time goes on I will probably move to Windows and keep my MBA as a piece of history of great work of somebody who cared about their product.

Last edited:
Reactions: maverick28

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
Very true, but I would add that the transition began since Mavericks. They stripped down the skeuomorphic details from application windows/backgrounds, the color over saturation began also on Mavericks, it's very noticeable and finally complete transition was Yosemite. I just installed Lion on my MacBook Air 2011 - the last Jobs era Mac OS and it really is a piece of art. Every detail is thought through, the typeface, the colors, it's like you got a new screen - even contrast is better, black isn't washed out anymore as it is on High Sierra and newer, even wallpaper is carefully picked that blends in beautifully with the dock and it's icons - you can just see that someone cared to make the OS stand out and I appreciate that. Just as you said 'native habitat and immediately sparks my energy'. Some might think it's pointless to work on such details but I believe this insightful attention to environment and it's details, which is apparent in OS X such as Lion, is what made Apple successfull. Today I do not care one bit for new macOS, I'd even rather use Windows. For the time being Lion works for me, but as time goes on I will probably move to Windows and keep my MBA as a piece of history of great work of somebody who cared about their product.

Have you read my posts about the subject in other threads or forums on the Internet without knowing that was me? ? Literally word for word! I'm not ditching one OS for a newer just for the same reason and have best of all worlds. Lion is very Jobshish, indeed, and I still using it actively, though my Mac (look up my signature) can run Catalina. As for Mavericks they toned down some skeuomorphic finish only in two apps – Calendar and Address Book (re-named to "Contacts") and some newly introduced apps such as Notes. However, even Reminders in Mavericks still bore leather-like visuals and actually resembled the embossment of physical notebooks, wallets, porte-monnaie. Overall, Mavericks look very artfully on my 1440 x 900 screen, but if you using MBA of the era then it may sport a lower resolution: I somehow noticed that the tonal range in Mavericks is wider than in Lion and it looks brighter on the surface. iTunes 11 marked the rebirth of some Snow-Leopard themes – coloured icons in the sidebar, for a short time before dying completely with Yosemite. iTunes 10 still rocks, and although it's monochrome, the shadows and colour transitions make for it adding to the ol' jukebox impression, invoking warmth.
Functionally, I found that some things work in Lion better than Mavericks, and in Mavericks better than in High Sierra, especially from the scripting perspective: added security hobbles my workflows, often standing in my way in a rather importunate way. On top of that, I run apps that make it still relevant today.
Going back to the main topic I noticed that stuttering happens here and there in all versions to a varying degree however HS broke the record. Ugly OS.

Reactions: smokesletsgo

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Have you read my posts about the subject in other threads or forums on the Internet without knowing that was me? ? Literally word for word! I'm not ditching one OS for a newer just for the same reason and have best of all worlds. Lion is very Jobshish, indeed, and I still using it actively, though my Mac (look up my signature) can run Catalina. As for Mavericks they toned down some skeuomorphic finish only in two apps – Calendar and Address Book (re-named to "Contacts") and some newly introduced apps such as Notes. However, even Reminders in Mavericks still bore leather-like visuals and actually resembled the embossment of physical notebooks, wallets, porte-monnaie. Overall, Mavericks look very artfully on my 1440 x 900 screen, but if you using MBA of the era then it may sport a lower resolution: I somehow noticed that the tonal range in Mavericks is wider than in Lion and it looks brighter on the surface. iTunes 11 marked the rebirth of some Snow-Leopard themes – coloured icons in the sidebar, for a short time before dying completely with Yosemite. iTunes 10 still rocks, and although it's monochrome, the shadows and colour transitions make for it adding to the ol' jukebox impression, invoking warmth.
Functionally, I found that some things work in Lion better than Mavericks, and in Mavericks better than in High Sierra, especially from the scripting perspective: added security hobbles my workflows, often standing in my way in a rather importunate way. On top of that, I run apps that make it still relevant today.
Going back to the main topic I noticed that stuttering happens here and there in all versions to a varying degree however HS broke the record. Ugly OS.
I find that Snow Leopard was the most functional desktop OS Apple has released. Best looking one too. Aesthetic of Lion-Mavericks was okay too, but I find the cleaner, easy to understand, and pleasant on the eyes look of Snow Leopard to be the best.

It's getting hard to use these old Ones though. At work I have been forced to upgrade, and at home I have partitions set up.

smokesletsgo

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013

I saw your other posts about older OS X and it was also as if i'm reading my own thoughts :D My screen is also 1440x900, it might be that fonts look bad on newer macOS because of such low resolution in today's standards but overall the design is just unappealing and not as detailed as it used to be. Mavericks didn't change completely but those brigher colors didn't fit for me. It also really weird - every year they played with colors: on Lion the colors are best (IMO), Mountain Lion wasn't bad but actually lacked color and was kind of dull but contrast was still decent, Mavericks started to brighten colors and Yosemite together with later versions are just a complete mess with broken contrast and oversaturated colors for my taste. I booted Windows to try out and it was great: ideal font rendering and colors, I will probably get a Windows machine because as much as I'd like to use Lion it is too abandoned, though with thinking outside the box :D you can manage and find different ways to achieve same tasks without getting the newest apps. I really love old iWork and Aperture.

Also regarding High Sierra's performance, from my experience on my MBA 13 2011 I can say that they did a good job, animations are smoother, Safari is fast and great (but a bit buggy), the fact that you can control how far you invoke mission control with three fingers is a great idea but the look of the UI is just unappealing and when thinking of upgrading I can't find one reason for choosing Apple device in 2019. Their hardware is still great I guess, but not as beautiful as it used to be and macOS is definitely not what it used to be, by far. So no point in paying more. You don't get the attention to detail anymore.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.