Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benyben123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Hi.

The question first:

Got this error message when my MBA turned on:

https://pastebin.com/YsfCtePy

Here is a Screenshot of the folder I found relating to crashes:

Screenshot.jpg

This happened when the Mac was "asleep".

I did not get this error while working on the Mac.

Can anyone help me figure out what's this about?

The explanation second:

I am using MBA 2015 for school.

Believe it or don't we have solid WiFi, so I use Google Drive Offline Mode for writing. I am absolutely counting on my MBA to work when I get home so I can sync the docs i have written after a full day (I have nightmares from my Windows and Word days where my work would die in case of a failure - but nvm now).

THANK YOU!!!

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Try going into the Console app and looking at the panic log. I presume you'll find it in System Reports.

benyben123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Try going into the Console app and looking at the panic log. I presume you'll find it in System Reports.

Thank you.
Mind telling me how I do that. I wish I was knowledgeable enough but I'm coming from windows.

benyben123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Search for "console" in Spotlight (magnifying glass in the upper right corner of your screen). Click on that. It's an app in the Utilities folder by the way.

Look for System Reports in the menu on the left side. Click the arrow to expand it and look for a panic report. Post the contents of that for auxbuss (and others) to review.

I hope I did it right.

Attached is the log?

PS - there's no such thing as Panic report specifically. There's Crash Report (which is what you meant I assume):

OOPS - I can't attache the files here.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-12-04 215026.png
    Annotation 2019-12-04 215026.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 178

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
The file you want to look at is the one at the top of the list you posted earlier – the image above. Its name starts with Kernel_2019_12_02... If you look in Kind column, you'll see it's listed as Panic Report.

benyben123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
just to update this thread (in case someone ever comes across this issue), i found this reddit post ( https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dr1b0v ) and followed their directions.

I have no idea what it is that this command does, but i ran it (of course, I am assuming this command is meant to disable the card reader drivers (?), which may have caused the crash).

here is a screenshot:

of course, if anyone has more information or could offer more advice, that's appreciated.

for now, i will keep testing the mac to see if the problem has stopped.

sudo kextunload -b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBCardReader.jpg

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Indeed, I pasted the content of that file here:
Ah sorry. I missed it, obviously.

It seems to have failed while trying to change its power state within the USB Card Reader driver – while sleeping, per your notes above.

So, that's the culprit. Now why is another question. I can see you're on Catalina 10.15.1, so likely a bug there, or perhaps something to do with the new "protections" Apple have put in place in macOS. If the USB device you're using installed some drivers or kernel extensions, then it could be they're incompatible; but I'm guessing now.

Reactions: benyben123

benyben123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Ah sorry. I missed it, obviously.

It seems to have failed while trying to change its power state within the USB Card Reader driver – while sleeping, per your notes above.

So, that's the culprit. Now why is another question. I can see you're on Catalina 10.15.1, so likely a bug there, or perhaps something to do with the new "protections" Apple have put in place in macOS. If the USB device you're using installed some drivers or kernel extensions, then it could be they're incompatible; but I'm guessing now.

Really appreciate your time!

The weird thing about this is that the Mac has been completly formatted and started fresh. No USB ever connected (I use it only for note taking in class).

Perhaps a hardware failure or a Catalina bug as you have suggested.

I guess I should have kept it on Mojave and tested it. For now, I hope you've seen the command I have typed in (what do you think? looks like the right solution?)... might work. I'll keep an eye on this.

Thanks again!

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Yes, I agree. The problem is consistent, so even if it can't be fixed immediately, there's enough info in the logs for the devs to get their teeth into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.