Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkaen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Searched the iOS 8 forum and didn't find any threads about this:

There's an item called "Keyboard Data (Chinese & Japanese)" in my iCloud backup on iOS 8. It's shown in the long list of all your apps where you can turn off / delete individual app data for your iCloud backup.

Is this normal? Haven't ever noticed this item before... I have the emoji keyboard enabled, but no Chinese keyboards. Basically I have no idea why it's there, and thought it might be at best unwanted, or at worst, malicious.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia

There's an item called "Keyboard Data (Chinese & Japanese)" in my iCloud backup on iOS 8. It's shown in the long list of all your apps where you can turn off / delete individual app data for your iCloud backup.

Is this normal? Haven't ever noticed this item before... I have the emoji keyboard enabled, but no Chinese keyboards. Basically I have no idea why it's there, and thought it might be at best unwanted, or at worst, malicious.

Technically the Emoji keyboard IS Japanese.

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011

Could this be the Emoji "Recently Used" tab information?
Maybe this carries over now if you do a reset/restore. Because I don't think it did previously.

mkaen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
It is probably just a list of saved words/words you use often/etc to help improve keyboard performance.

If that were the case, why not have one for my default English keyboard? I don't use Chinese/Japanese keyboards. (Emoji I do use...which is a Japanese word and may be considered a Japanese keyboard.)

----------

Could this be the Emoji "Recently Used" tab information?
Maybe this carries over now if you do a reset/restore. Because I don't think it did previously.
Good hypothesis! Haven't fully tested it, but it seems likely. More likely that than a Chinese key logger, surely...

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I turned them off and they dont get deleted.... wtf are those Chinese/Japanese keyboard data ?

IMG_0049.PNG

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah this kind of worried me... wish we could get a concrete answer on what this actually is.

Val-70

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
It's an iOS 8.1 related issue

I have the same issue on my device and found out that even freshly reset devices with iOS 8.1 have this glitch. Hopefully Apple will fix it with the next update. Admin at Macrumors, please verify and contact Apple. Thank you

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have the same issue on my device and found out that even freshly reset devices with iOS 8.1 have this glitch. Hopefully Apple will fix it with the next update. Admin at Macrumors, please verify and contact Apple. Thank you

I don't think its a glitch. Its been there since Beta of 8.0. Like others have stated in the thread its the recently used with emojis. I've never had emojis turned on on my iPhone and that data is 92KB. I have emojis turned on on my iPad with quite a few in recently used and the data is 500KB.

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
Well it's just for the words in quick type (I think)-suggestions. The Japanese may be from Emoji but the Chinese...are you sure you don't have the default Chinese iOS keyboard put in the list of used keyboards. Or some third party keyboard that is Chinese or developed by a Chinese developer or company? Check your keyboard list.

Lynhair03

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2015
I turned them off and they dont get deleted.... wtf are those Chinese/Japanese keyboard data ?

View attachment 498739

Hi , ever since I found that keyboard on my phone makes me think that this is the reason for all the problems I've all of a sudden I've recently encountered on my phone.... I'm sure it involves a 3rd party too....

Trumpaign:)

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016
Hi. I got my iphone about 5 months ago. I have been looking at the diagnostics and usage, which of course, I think many key words and phrases, surely are spyware, hackers ect. Inaddition, my phone was close to its storeage capacity. I tried to delete anything unwanted or unused and i seen the keyboard data chinese.

Did anyone have a confirmation on thier questions concerning the keyboard data? Also, how can i or can i delete the diagnostic logs? Any help is appreciated

Ngsims

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019

[doublepost=1563270543][/doublepost]It is 100% spyware. Trust me! Have questions please ask

Ngsims

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
Was looking for an answer myself. No one seemed to confirm but anywho dont be mad

a.l

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2020
Was looking for an answer myself. No one seemed to confirm but anywho dont be mad
Hi there,

Please could you explain further? Ive suspected my ex hacking my phone but wrote it off as paranoia and stopped being suspicious up until today where i finally want to back up my phone again and find said App.
Many Many Thanks for your reply!!!!

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Why are you digging up a thread from 2014?

So what? What's the problem?

I too have been seeing this for years now, no iOS big update has removed it. How can you be certain it's because of the emoji recently used keyboard?

Nothing wrong on wanting proof of something. Do you have the same line in your iCloud Backup? assuming you're right, it's a very weird label from Apple's part considering they don't even detail all of the other system parts that get's backed up even if you turn EVERY switch off (your backup will still be 200-400mb)

Sopo87

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
iOS 13.5 and still this weird issue is around. I have the same keyboard data (chinese & japanese) on my iPhone and iPad iCloud copies and I don't know what the hell this is. But it doesn't smell very well...

Kparks90

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2021
Redding
Just found this in my phone when I went to back up....Ik my ex is hacking it but it would be awesome if I could figure out how he did it n what he got n how to delete n permanently block him from any hacking on my phone please help

Kparks90

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2021
Redding
I phone 6s plus I have never noticed it before n I pay attention to stuff on my phone.... n this pops up in my backup files can’t delete n my phone is messing up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.