Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Hi all,

I have a 2008 MacPro 3,1 that I just installed sierra on. Everything works fine except the keyboard randomly stops working.. nothing will type, function buttons included. But the mouse, which is plugged into the keyboard continues to work fine. I don't even notice until I go to type lol
Yes it is plugged into a USB extension cable.
In order to get it to work all I have to do is unplug it and plug it back in. But this happens so random it could do it every 5min or 2 hours. It's a bit annoying.
It works normally in Lion, Mavericks, and Windows 10 which are all on the same machine. Only sierra does this.
Its an older white apple keyboard that came with my G5.

freqrider

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2019
My 3,1 does this too on High Sierra. I noticed it only seems to happen when my iPhone is plugged in via USB? Seems like the phone highjacks the USB or something?

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
My 3,1 does this too on High Sierra. I noticed it only seems to happen when my iPhone is plugged in via USB? Seems like the phone highjacks the USB or something?
I found out that it is some weird incompatibility with the Mac Pro 3,1 running any operating system and the white apple keyboard (the one that came with G5s). The fix is supposed to be using a USB extension cable however that did not work for me.
I just stopped using that keyboard on my 3,1. If that's the keyboard you're using, that's why it does it.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I took my 3,1 to HS and had too many little things get in the way of getting things done. Plus all the Reviewers that I read after I switched back to Sierra, and have been severely happy, all said that HS was wasted time and wondered why Apple even did it. If it were for prep for Mowjāv, they didn't need a whole rev update.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I took my 3,1 to HS and had too many little things get in the way of getting things done. Plus all the Reviewers that I read after I switched back to Sierra, and have been severely happy, all said that HS was wasted time and wondered why Apple even did it. If it were for prep for Mowjāv, they didn't need a whole rev update.
My 3,1 has been on Mojave since release. Going strong without any major issues today.

However, I agree with you. I hate yearly OS releases. The entire idea is an idiotic waste of time. Stability is down, useless things are added/helpful things removed for just the sake of change. They release an OS too fast, scramble to fix the obvious bugs while forgetting about it after 6 months and working on another disaster to waste our time with the next year.
Catalina is already on its first update, and I feel like Mojave just came out. I can't stand it. An OS needs to be out for at least three years before another one is even announced. That's why Tiger and Snow Leopard were so stable; really anything prior to 10.8 hasn't given me much grief though tbh. The same pattern is shown in Windows OSes, too. Windows XP, awesome. Windows 7, awesome. Windows 10 which is on a similar release pattern is horrid.

Reactions: FarmerBob

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
My 3,1 has been on Mojave since release. Going strong without any major issues today.

However, I agree with you. I hate yearly OS releases. The entire idea is an idiotic waste of time. Stability is down, useless things are added/helpful things removed for just the sake of change. They release an OS too fast, scramble to fix the obvious bugs while forgetting about it after 6 months and working on another disaster to waste our time with the next year.
Catalina is already on its first update, and I feel like Mojave just came out. I can't stand it. An OS needs to be out for at least three years before another one is even announced. That's why Tiger and Snow Leopard were so stable; really anything prior to 10.8 hasn't given me much grief though tbh. The same pattern is shown in Windows OSes, too. Windows XP, awesome. Windows 7, awesome. Windows 10 which is on a similar release pattern is horrid.

I hate the the whole yearly push, but it's to keep their "purchasing public" happy. And they caused this problem themselves. I have too many solid apps that just didn't function well in mōjāv, so I moved back. Well not really moved back . . . moved over to the previous partition that was still all set up with Sierra. Every so often I go play with mōjāv and am not really impressed. Except for Dark Mode. LONG PAST DUE on that one!!

Reactions: Project Alice
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.