Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I remember the old MacBooks that came with a white remote control for Front Row but now I’m wondering how I can control a keynote presentation that’s playing on my MacBook Pro (and connected to an HDMI flat screen tv) without this remote?

I recall many many many years ago there was a stand-alone Keynote presentation app and I believe you could control each slide even on the Apple Watch but am wondering what tool I can use now?

would I be able to control it with my iPhone? What would the requirements be if this does exist? Or must I buy some 3rd party remote control? Or must I stay nearby my MacBook Pro while giving the presentation?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
There is no independent remote control app. It has been bundled into Keynote on every platform. If you look in the help messages it should be easy to understand. I’ve mostly used the iPhone to control Keynote on my iPad or MacBook. Worked well.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I remember the old MacBooks that came with a white remote control for Front Row but now I’m wondering how I can control a keynote presentation that’s playing on my MacBook Pro (and connected to an HDMI flat screen tv) without this remote?

I recall many many many years ago there was a stand-alone Keynote presentation app and I believe you could control each slide even on the Apple Watch but am wondering what tool I can use now?

would I be able to control it with my iPhone? What would the requirements be if this does exist? Or must I buy some 3rd party remote control? Or must I stay nearby my MacBook Pro while giving the presentation?
As mentioned, Keynote for iOS can be used as a remote control for controlling a presentation on a Macbook Pro. How well it works depends upon your presentation style. I've tried it and I am not a fan... neither are the Apple presenters at their events... because they don't use an iPhone to present.

I think having to look down at a touchscreen to find the navigation hotspots is awkward... having physical buttons that can be navigated simply by feel is superior.

Ever since Apple dropped support for the IR remote, I've used the Targus presentation remote. $27 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Targus-2BH2854-AMP16US-Presentation-Pointer/dp/B002HXXN9I/
71keMeeMIgL._SL1500_.jpg
It works great on ANY device I've tried it on (except for iPads and iPhones). It even works on the Amazon Fire tablets. Yes, I've given presentations using a tablet that contains the slide deck.

(I haven't tried this one myself) There is also the BEBONCOOL presentation remote that looks like a knock-off of the Targus for $16:

https://www.amazon.com/BEBONCOOL-Wireless-Presenter-Presentation-PowerPoint/dp/B00WQFFZ9I/

61bdFTOxA2L._SL1003_.jpg

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The Apple TV remote doesn’t appear to be supported, which is a pity. It could work well. Does anyone know a way to get it to work?

Last edited:

gwjohnson

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Since Apple dropped the IR interface I've been using: https://twistedmelon.com/mira

You plug the tiny hardware dongle into a USB port, then you can use any of the previous Apple remotes as before. The only problem is that it is not 64 bit so won't work with Catalina.

Last edited:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I use Keynote on the iPhone to control Keynote on the iPad or MacBook. With a little practice it is easy, just swipe to advance.

Squadbuddy

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2020
I use my iPad Mini for this for a few reasons:

-You can view the keynote on the screen so no need to turn and look at the screen, keeping you engaged with the audience.
-You can still use a built in pointer (which doesn't trigger some people who don't respond well to laser pointers) as well as draw and point things out on the screen directly.
-You can view your presenter notes on the iPad and not have to refer to other notes or just wing it.
-it's built in functionality for the application and it just works. And if you already have an iPad, nothing else to buy.

You can also use your phone to do the same thing, I just like the slightly larger screen of my iPad mini. I found a case that has a handstrap on the back so I don't even have to worry about holding on to it. I can be animated and deliver quality keynotes at the same time.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

Smooch

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
You can control Keynote with the Siri Remote:
I know this thread is quite old, but this is REALLY useful.

I honestly don't understand why this is not a built-in feature of Keynote (or macOS for that matter), as Apple has always provided support for the their remotes in the past. I've used them all...

While I do get they removed the IR receiver on the macs, the newer remotes have been using bluetooth with the Apple TV for several years now...

pneves1975

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2018
Portugal
I use Logitech R500. it is Bluetooth enabled but can also be used with the integrated dongle. Uses one AA battery that lasts for ages and connection is very stable. Basic next/back buttons and red laser.

Smooch

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Yeah, I was personally looking at the Logitech Spotlight. It seems nice. Laser pointers are not suitable for my presentation style.

I use Logitech R500.
How well does it work with Keynote? With the OG Apple Remote you would be able to press the menu button and select a slide on the secondary screen for instance.

pneves1975

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2018
Portugal
Yeah, I was personally looking at the Logitech Spotlight. It seems nice. Laser pointers are not suitable for my presentation style.

How well does it work with Keynote? With the OG Apple Remote you would be able to press the menu button and select a slide on the secondary screen for instance.
Excellent with Keynote, great connection. No issues whatsoever on all the three Macs I used it with. All with Big Sur, but I also tried with Monterey when I had it and no issues too.

Reactions: Smooch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.