Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah. Can't wait to see how that works with wired headphones on-the-go. Just lay your phone flat on the wireless connector (which is, I assume, in your pocket) with said wireless connector featuring a headphone jack.
It's lucky the commenters on MacRumors forums aren't running Apple - - it'd still be back in the stone age.

Reactions: JBGoode

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
  • Audi A6 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi A7 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi A8 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi Q8 (2019 and newer)
  • Audi e-tron SUV (2020 and newer)
  • BMW 5 Series (2017 and newer)
  • BMW 3 Series (2018 and newer)
  • 2019 BMW range
  • Lamborghini Urus (2017 and newer)
  • Mercedes A-Class (2018 and newer)
  • Mercedes GLE (2019 and newer)
  • 2019 Mini range
  • Toyota Supra (2020 and newer)

That's not that many cars, by either models available or units sold. Ford sells more F trucks alone than BMW does their entire lineup. About three times as many actually.

Defmetal

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
So a problem with this, is that wireless charging isn't as fast. It's just not, and it won't be. When you buy the usb-c based super charges its going about 7x faster than wireless charging. Lets say they cut it in half, being generous here.... thats still way slower than a cord.

I use a wireless charger, I like wireless charging, I'm on board with it, but what about 5 hour car rides using your phone as a GPS? What about CarPlay when MOST cars require a cord? (Some do wireless, like my bmw, but many don't, like a kia)

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
It's lucky the commenters on MacRumors forums aren't running Apple - - it'd still be back in the stone age.
Seriously, how is having connectors the equivalent to the stone age? I get that things become obsolute. I get that for progress, you sometimes need to make the second step before the first. But getting rid of things with a specific function that is NOT easily replaced by something else, is not progress, but mania. When they moved beyond the stone age, it‘s not like they got rid of stone entirely. Try building a house from bronze.

chadthemac

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
This is click bait crap. It is not courage to possibly screw over so many of your users and power-users that do rely on wired connections of some type. There are very important use cases for the wired option that Apple would be crazy to fully remove that option on a device they intend to be purchased by the mass market. CarPlay is an obvious problem and key connectivity experience in their ecosystem that is not near saturation to make the change on their top end devices. UNLESS, they have some special dongle that will work well for connecting to non-wireless devices or for the use cases that even their support engineers rely on. Maybe in 2030 this could be a thing or I guess I'll be buying another dongle to support the now wireless courageous Apple move.

PaulRustad007

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
I can see this happening.
We have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for connectivity along with wireless charging.
There really isn't much need for any kind of port.
Except for CarPlay. Mine requires a hard cable connection.
[automerge]1575659235[/automerge]
I hope this is not true. I can't imagine that I am an extreme minority here, but does no one else use magnets inside a phone case for mounting in the car? I have an XS, but the magnet is what prevents me from wireless charging my phone now.
Same here. I feel your pain.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
How quickly can the smart connector throughput data? A keyboard requires minuscule amounts of data transfer. Is it capable of the throughput needed for CarPlay?
I have no idea. But that doesn’t mean they can continue developing it that it can transmit higher throughput.

There are magnetic connectors that work with usb-c that you can buy today that can do 480mb/s. (Even Kickstarter has some). So even if it's not perfect today, I think maybe Apple and with some imagination and unlimited funding can do better given a few years of research.

For CarPlay I’d assume that would probably be better off using Bluetooth (which also exists, I think)

Last edited:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I have no idea. But that doesn’t mean they can continue developing it that it can transmit higher throughput.

There are magnetic connectors that work with usb-c that you can buy today that can do 480mb/s. (Even Kickstarter has some). So even if it's not perfect today, I think maybe Apple and with some imagination and unlimited funding can do better given a few years of research.

For CarPlay I’d assume that would probably be better off using Bluetooth (which also exists, I think)

Well we know how imagination and unlimited funding turned out with AirPower..

• Haha
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I will not update my phone if I cannot hook into CarPlay into my car... not a single chance.. and people hold onto Cars MUCH longer then phones... so..
[automerge]1575644384[/automerge]

I'd see USB C before killing a port entirely.. and why kill a port? What gain do they have here...? More space in the chassis of the phone?

I can’t honestly seeing them kill the port, but Tim is an idiot...

bluetooth audio quality is low, and I like being able to plug my phone into other devices (even though I have to use a Tim dongle)

personally, removing the port isn’t innovation. These foldable screens are interesting.

Wish someone would remove Tim as ceo!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Seriously, how is having connectors the equivalent to the stone age? I get that things become obsolute. I get that for progress, you sometimes need to make the second step before the first. But getting rid of things with a specific function that is NOT easily replaced by something else, is not progress, but mania. When they moved beyond the stone age, it‘s not like they got rid of stone entirely. Try building a house from bronze.

I won’t say using wired connections is the equivalent of staying in the Stone Age, but I think it’s also saying a lot that just about every comment here has revolved around knee-jerk statements about what people potentially stand to lose. In short, people are too fixated on the past, and not enough on the future. Which is ironic when you also consider that these people claim to know what is best for Apple’s future.

As a general rule of thumb, many of the decisions that Apple makes in terms of product features reflect future roadmaps. If a major change is included in one iPhone model, it is best to think of that change in context of the next few iPhone reiterations. This ends up being one of the more critical aspects of iPhone development, where some features need to be rolled out gradually over time. Another way of describing this strategy is that Apple often needs to sow the seeds with one iPhone model in order to introduce future features and capabilities in subsequent iPhones.

For instance, just think of how every change prior to the iPhone X has been about enabling the bezel-less form factor, and it all makes perfect sense in hindsight. Of course, I am not expecting anyone here to possibly know what the future iPhone will be like, but the point is that Apple has a proven track record (for deliberate, purposeful iteration) and they deserve the benefit of a doubt in the very least.

We also know that Apple has a vested interest in moving away from cords. We have seen the company betting big on truly wireless headphones. AirPods have no equal and may eventually go on to anchor their own wearables platform.

IMO, it’s really only a matter of time before acceptable wireless charging becomes a reality. Much of this anti-cord stance is due to the fact that Apple's future is found with wearables and there isn't a place for cords in a wearables world.

When you look at how the Apple Watch is practically a portless device that charges wirelessly, I can see it as being the inspiration for pulling the design of the iPhone forward.

In summary, I believe Apple will sooner remove the lightning port from the iPhone than switch to usb C, knowing Apple's long-term goal of eventually removing all ports from its devices.

I would also interested to see Apple go down this route, not because I feel there is anything wrong with wires per se, but because I for one would be most interested to know what Apple’s answer here is.

What shall we call this brave new world that Apple (reportedly) seems to usher in?

germinator

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
There are many reasons why a wired connection is useful, even if not required every day. Fast backups come to mind.

Let me be very clear. I will not buy a new iPhone until:
1. It has no notch
2. It has USB-C

If Apple doesn't make one before I need one, I will switch to Android.

hrpanjwani

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
It would be interesting if “no ports” meant replacing lightning with the smart connector and the charging cable would have MagSafe technology that was previously used in the Mac charging adaptor. That would be really awesome.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I see no purpose in cables/cords, if that's what you're asking.

Because wireless charging is inefficient compare with charging with cables? Even with wireless fast charging, it is still no comparisons

Apple love to talk how they care about environment, but all they do is making product lesser environmental friendly. As far as I know, world is still relying on fossil fuel for generating electricity. Why is Apple giving up higher efficient way of charging and adopting less efficient way? Why is Apple making their computer less upgradable?

Reactions: Breezygirl

Detnator

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2011
I won’t say using wired connections is the equivalent of staying in the Stone Age, but I think it’s also saying a lot that just about every comment here has revolved around knee-jerk statements about what people potentially stand to lose. In short, people are too fixated on the past, and not enough on the future. Which is ironic when you also consider that these people claim to know what is best for Apple’s future.

As a general rule of thumb, many of the decisions that Apple makes in terms of product features reflect future roadmaps. If a major change is included in one iPhone model, it is best to think of that change in context of the next few iPhone reiterations. This ends up being one of the more critical aspects of iPhone development, where some features need to be rolled out gradually over time. Another way of describing this strategy is that Apple often needs to sow the seeds with one iPhone model in order to introduce future features and capabilities in subsequent iPhones.

For instance, just think of how every change prior to the iPhone X has been about enabling the bezel-less form factor, and it all makes perfect sense in hindsight. Of course, I am not expecting anyone here to possibly know what the future iPhone will be like, but the point is that Apple has a proven track record (for deliberate, purposeful iteration) and they deserve the benefit of a doubt in the very least.

We also know that Apple has a vested interest in moving away from cords. We have seen the company betting big on truly wireless headphones. AirPods have no equal and may eventually go on to anchor their own wearables platform.

IMO, it’s really only a matter of time before acceptable wireless charging becomes a reality. Much of this anti-cord stance is due to the fact that Apple's future is found with wearables and there isn't a place for cords in a wearables world.

When you look at how the Apple Watch is practically a portless device that charges wirelessly, I can see it as being the inspiration for pulling the design of the iPhone forward.

In summary, I believe Apple will sooner remove the lightning port from the iPhone than switch to usb C, knowing Apple's long-term goal of eventually removing all ports from its devices.

I would also interested to see Apple go down this route, not because I feel there is anything wrong with wires per se, but because I for one would be most interested to know what Apple’s answer here is.

What shall we call this brave new world that Apple (reportedly) seems to usher in?

Nice analysis and I agree entirely.

Apple has always moved things forward by removing stuff. Sometimes the world catches up more quickly (no floppy drive in original iMac, no physical keyboard or stylus on iPhone, tablets without styluses, etc) than other times (mac laptop ports striving for ubiquitous USB-C), but Apple is relentless usually if nothing else. The end results are (nearly) always better.

Remember all the fuss and mocking of Apple when the original iPhone didn’t have a physical keyboard. Loud voices said it was a terrible idea and it would fail dismally. But within a couple of years everyone had followed suit and a phone with a physical keyboard with any decent market share was nowhere to be seen. This is the “courage” thing. Sometimes (more often than not) it works. (Sometimes it doesn’t: the MBP Touch Bar still sucks. Lol).

We’re skeptical about moving everything to wireless because we’re afraid it will suck compared to the wired alternatives but what if...

Imagine a world where all wireless technology really is as good as the wired alternatives. Wireless audio with no loss, wireless data transfer as fast as wired, wireless charging - from a distance even, not just on a mat - faster than today’s wired charging. Assuming it’s all done right and it all works it will be a better world - just as it’s a better world today (or even by ~2002) because floppy drives have gone the way of the dodo.

We’re not there yet (we’re almost there with some of it - gigabit WiFi when it works), but it’s all coming, and it’ll come sooner than otherwise because Apple will push it. And they will only push it successfully by removing the alternative options. That’s the key. The removal is painful at first because of the transition but when the transition is over the world is better.

It’s a world I look forward to and if it’s a bit painful to get there sooner than otherwise it’s worth it.
[automerge]1575733798[/automerge]
Because wireless charging is inefficient compare with charging with cables? Even with wireless fast charging, it is still no comparisons

Apple love to talk how they care about environment, but all they do is making product lesser environmental friendly. As far as I know, world is still relying on fossil fuel for generating electricity. Why is Apple giving up higher efficient way of charging and adopting less efficient way? Why is Apple making their computer less upgradable?

I think this comment is a bit disingenuous when Apple has invested billions in having their entire chain of operations everywhere have a zero carbon foot print or as close to that as humanly possible.

Aside from which, what evidence do you have other than speculation, that wireless charging through a mat is any less electricity efficient than wired? Have you tested this or at you just assuming.

If it’s as inefficient as you’re proposing, Apple will solve these efficiency problems before “forcing” it on everyone. Maybe that tech doesn’t exist yet but you can be sure if that’s the case then they’re working on it and it’ll be there by the time they “force” it on us.
[automerge]1575733844[/automerge]
There are many reasons why a wired connection is useful, even if not required every day. Fast backups come to mind.

Let me be very clear. I will not buy a new iPhone until:
1. It has no notch
2. It has USB-C

If Apple doesn't make one before I need one, I will switch to Android.

Suit yourself. Enjoy that.
[automerge]1575733938[/automerge]
I hope this is not true. I can't imagine that I am an extreme minority here, but does no one else use magnets inside a phone case for mounting in the car? I have an XS, but the magnet is what prevents me from wireless charging my phone now.

https://www.ipitaka.com/ solves that problem very very nicely.

Eg. Specifically:

https://www.ipitaka.com/collections/magez-case-for-iphone-11

Last edited:
Reactions: paul4339 and bobob

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Here is a thoughtful response to a similar discussion thread over at 9to5mac.com:

"What's a port? That's the question future young device users will be asking in five years. Guess what? It won't be worth the time explaining.
I started personal computing in the late 1970/early 1980 period. I've seen all sorts of ports come and go. After a brief adjustment to the change, I simply forgot about the older stuff and I'm still happily using computers. It really just doesn't matter about what changes take place over time. You just get used to it or give it up. There were plenty of things I thought I needed on computers, but over time, I didn't seem to need them anymore. I still have lots of CDs and DVDs around with stuff on them and a DVD player in case I ever decide to use them. It's not going to happen because all the old programs are useless and I can stream practically any movie I ever wanted to see. I had stacks of 5.25" floppies that turned bad over time and I just chucked them into the garbage. I still have over a dozen smallish hard drives with odds and ends of data but I've already transferred the data to newer and larger hard drives and so I guess I'll be chucking those older drives soon. I tossed all my various dial-up modems in the garbage as soon as I got cable back in 2000 or so. I threw away all my older Apple computers and don't even miss them because I'm too busy enjoying using the newer ones.
I've learned that nothing lasts forever and always trying to hold on to some older tech is usually just a waste of time and energy. Maybe if you're a nostalgia buff, you can hold onto old stuff forever, but the average person simply doesn't have the time or patience to be using old tech. So, you people keep talking about how you're going to curse Apple for removing this or that, but in the end it's going to happen everywhere in the tech industry. If you don't want to move forward when it comes to tech then give it up right now. Stop arguing about changes because it's not going to matter in the long run. Learn to adjust to those changes and you'll be happier in the end. Let all that old tech go. It'll only hurt for a minute or two. I'm 70-something now and will continue using computers as long as I can and I hope I don't get to the point where I fear change when it comes to tech."

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Alright bois. Time to tape your phone on that wireless charger and charge your iPhone on the go! EMBRACE 2021! EMBRACE THE FUTURE!

I am pretty sure 2021 iPhone will NOT have 24 hour battery life under maximum load.
Why not release an even higher-end model with no display?
Which only costs $599.99.
[automerge]1575802391[/automerge]
try to send large 4K videos over wifi to your mac...
Nah, never expect those folks understanding the weakness of wireless transmission.

Better appreciate our convenient wired connection while it lasts.

Reactions: ThomasJL

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
So, how would users get around the fast charging issue then? What happens if the iPhone is at 10% battery and you need a quick charge before you leave for a flight or something?

Wireless charging is not fast charging.

Plus heats up the phone. If you have the screen on with it charging, even worse. I’m not a fan of wireless charging. Charging cables are just fine for me.

How would people do a restore via iTunes? Even DFU mode? Yeahhhh... no.

Reactions: ThomasJL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.