Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urnotl33t

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2017
Cary, NC, USA
As of now, the 6S is still the most popular single iPhone model in use. That updated iPhone 8 that's supposedly coming early next year is designed to entice those users to upgrade.

I guess they didn't include the iPhone 6 I traded back to them to get the 4" iPhone SE.

Reactions: jpn

PEVO

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2019
Which will be the prices of this lineup and the old iPhones remaining in the lineup? It seems a little bit confusing

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
No, I was not really complaining at all. Go back and read my original post, #19, and then I think you will understand that this guy either read the article wrong, or my post wrong, or truly has math issues.

All I said was that I think the 11 Pro Max is slightly too big, and really it only bothers me when I put it in certain pant or short pockets, especially jeans, and especially when you sit down.

I love the screen when I am using it, and I will love the 6.7" screen, it will just be a slightly bigger pain in the ass to put it in certain pant or short pockets and sit down, haha.

:apple:
Hmm well I think the guy thought that if 6.5” was slightly too big for you, 6.1” would be perfect. That’s what I was thinking anyway. If you think 6.5” is too big, why in the world would you even think about going bigger to 6.7”?

6.1” would seem to be what you were asking for, which is why your post is so confusing. Unless you want a 6.2” or 6.3”, it seems like Apple is offering you what you want ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Reactions: edstyler

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
You can't fit a modern processor plus the room needed to dissipate heat plus the room needed for a battery that can run the thing in an enclosure that small. Sorry but end of discussion. Time to move on.
lol, cpu put off less heat then they ever have and are more efficent then ever. I don't buy that for a second.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
My iPhone 11 Pro is already slightly too big, now they want me to buy something even bigger to get the best camera?!

I agree with this. The X/XS/11 Pro is honestly the biggest phone I will accept.

I got a 6.1" iPhone 11 from work and it feels too big. Throw on a case, and it becomes a brick. (All in my opinion of course).

Looks like I will have to settle with the 5.4" model?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I want to see people making calls holding a 12.9 iPad Pro to their heads.

While I didn't put it up to my head, I used my First gen iPad as a phone after breaking screen on my original iPhone a few months before the 4s was announced.

I usually used the headset and very rarely chatted on it without a headset, but it worked great as a phone for the few months until the 4s came out.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
They dont have Shaq hands either
From what I’ve observed most people who have big phones tend to use both hands.

If iPhone 6/7/8-sized phones are too big for you, you’ll have to settle for an older iPhone or try to find a small Android phone. The 5.4” will be a little less wide and tall than the 6/7/8, but not much.

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
iPhones: 4", 6“
iPads: 8", 10", 12"
Macbooks 14", 16"
iMacs 22", 28"
Pro Display 32"

I'm just dreaming of simplification.

Reactions: sakurarain

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
So they realise they can’t bump the price up anymore in the top end model, currently the iPhone 11 Pro Max, so they plan to add a 4th model to the line up and call that the ‘new’ high end model to add a price premium and increase prices again.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
I like the increased choice, but it would make more sense to make a 6.1 lcd iPhone in a similar style to the iPhone SE, maybe call it the SE Max or Medium. Then add a third camera on the new smallest iPhone and give it the pro moniker. This then simplifies everything:

iPhone SE with LTE only, 1 camera, LCD
iPhone SE M(edium) with LTE only, 1 camera, LCD
iPhone Pro 11 S(mall) with 5G, 3 cameras, OLED
iPhone Pro 11 M(edium) with 5G, 3 cameras, OLED
iPhone Pro 11 L(arge) with 5G, 3 cameras, OLED

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
So the 90's is back again with skeuomorphic design for illustrations with reflections and stuff. At least it makes Ming's drivel with nothing more than assumptions and conjecture more interesting.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
It will be disappointing if the 5.4" isn't a Pro phone for those of us who feel the X, Xs and 11 Pro 5.8" were already too big. Not going to get smaller if it becomes 6.1".

CPL593H

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2018
It will be disappointing if the 5.4" isn't a Pro phone for those of us who feel the X, Xs and 11 Pro 5.8" were already too big. Not going to get smaller if it becomes 6.1".
I don’t disagree, but at this point I’m thrilled to get a modern small phone that’ll last me a good few years. Pro would be nice, but I’ve survived this long on an SE and 5S before, so it’s still an improvement for me.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I’m using the 6.5 11 Pro Max and I can’t see going back down to a 6.1 Pro model. I guess I have to try 6.7 or sacrifice some screen space. Leaves us Max users in a precarious place.

I’m glad I won’t have to decide until 2021, no need to upgrade mine until then.
Leaves us normal sized screen users in an even worst position, i’m being forced to get a bigger phone I don’t want!

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I wonder what differences there will be between the 6.1" 12 and the 6.1" 12 Pro. Extra camera lens & time of flight sensor is obvious, but I'm assuming the Pro will also have a better OLED panel (Maybe 1080p for the regular 12 and a higher resolution, possibly even Pro Motion panel for the 12 Pro), difference in build materials (aluminum frame for the 12 vs stainless steel for the 12 Pro). Anything else that might differentiate them??

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Way too much overlap between models. This would be a very 90s Apple thing to do.

Companies use strategies such as these to price offset. For example an SE type phone or a any device with TouchID does not cost much to produce as the R&D has paid for itself years ago and the components are reliable to produce in mass while component costs drop.

FaceID though initially expensive as it was new tech was very expensive, it is getting cheaper to produce however by releasing overlapping devices that use it with competitive pricing between models it steers the consumer to an up sell for a better experience. This is done through marketing, while device manufacturers know that people usually upgrade every 2-4 years and a minority every year. Apple in this context recoups the cost of FaceID and OLED (purchased in bulk) by sharing the cost to TouchID devices. Ever wonder why the bump in Storage for an iOS device is steep or Cellular models, it is not certain if Apple uses this same strategy to spill over to the Mac hardware lineup for shared costs.

I am more curious and interested in the 2021 truly wireless iPhone. Chances are it may use induction charging on the flat frame/rim similar to to iPad Pro and Apple Pencil 2. Imagine bi-lateral charging via the frame in any direction. Attach an Apple Pencil 2 to charge and couple, AirPods, a strip charging similar to MagSafe all around the device. Squeeze or slide gestures for Volume UP/Down/Mute. You get the point while iFixit will give it a score of 0. ;) :D

I really want Apple to use LiquidMetal on these devices it is a long time baking.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Damn, I thought I’d have a hard time choosing between a lesser spec’d 5.4” iPhone and a 6.1” iPhone Pro. Now, if I want a smaller phone, I need to chose between the Sept 2020 5.4” iPhone and the 1H2021 iPhone SE2 Plus. :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.