Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Ming Chi ‘Doesn’t Know’ Kuo

If you throw enough guess, you’re bound to get something right. Surprised no one has actually challenged him on camera on his past guesses.

Reactions: sakurarain

mineralwalker

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Utah
Oh for the love. I wish this thinking would stop, not everybody including myself have big enough hands for a phablet nor want a decrease in ability. I understood size was a must for optical stabilization but this will suck.

Are they just going to continue growing screens until it cannibalizes iPad Mini sales? Can’t but help wondering how many people Steve would fire for what they internally dealt with for iPad sizing ?

sakurarain

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
The iPhone line of this year is:
iPhone mini: 6 colors
iPhone 12: 6 colors
iPhone Pro: 6 colors
iPhone Pro Max: 6 colors
iPhone Edition: whatever color you can customize

Discussion is done.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
iPhones are solid, locked down, and typical predictable. Similar to Tim, who is very predictable and boring.

Pablo Escobar phone, now that is different!

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I may or may not be able to live with lesser features if I want to move to a smaller phone (still TBD), but I don’t think I can live with a 5.4” phone if it’s as thick and heavy as the iPhone 11 in comparison to the Pro. I’d welcome a smaller phone but I don’t want a thick and heavy phone as the 11 is. Still, I don’t think I could get used to a 6.1” phone. There are times when 5.8” is just a bit too large for me.

Another challenge for me: I’m on the iPhone Upgrade Program. If I do decide to go with the 5.4” phone, do I purchase the 5.4” 12 in September or wait for the SE2 Plus in Spring 2021? I appreciate Kuo sharing Apple’s future plans with us but it‘s making future purchase decisions harder for me.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
Great to see Apple finally phasing out crappy LCD.and going all OLED (as they should) (except the 4.7”)

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Someone should get fired for insisting on putting a notch in next year's iPhone 12.

People should start getting banned from forums for making inane comments. :rolleyes:

If they can't squeeze the necessary tech into a tiny bezel, there will be a notch.

Why don't you go show them how it's done?

Reactions: brucemr and pcd213

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Interesting people find this confusing. I thought it was very clear. You get two Screen Size for each Category.

iPhone Pro - ToF, Triple Camera, Pro Motion, 6GB RAM ( I think this will be needed for ToF and 5G mmWave ), 5G mmWave and Sub 6.

6.1" and 6.7"

iPhone - Dual Camera, OLED ( I doubt it is the XDR used in 11, most likely to be the one used in XS ), 4GB RAM, 5G Sub 6 ONLY.

6.1" and 5.4" ( I actually think it is 5.45"and should be 5.5")

iPhone SE - Single Camera, LCD, Basically iPhone 8 with A13

4.7" and possibly missing 5.4"/ 5.5"

So you this is exactly the same as all popular brands' line up. Three Tier to choose from. Pro, Normal / Mid Range / and Entry Level.

And just a reminder, Should iPhone SE replaces iPhone 8, Apple will have their Entry level phone faster than ALL current shipping Android Phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: reallynotnick

iJustines

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2019
People should start getting banned from forums for making inane comments. :rolleyes:

If they can't squeeze the necessary tech into a tiny bezel, there will be a notch.

Why don't you go show them how it's done?

There are numerous way the iPhone 12 can achieve full-screen display. So You need to refrain from denying or pretending the notch can not be removed.

benjo765

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
Los Angeles
Agreed. I just wish they'd make the 5.4" with the best CPU, cameras, etc. I don't want to have to choose between a 6.1" "Pro" and a 5.4" gimped model.

It's the same problem we've had for years: the Plus/Pro/bus-sized models get the good features and you have to either suffer with a device that's too big, or one that's years behind in capabilities.

I’m guessing fitting three lenses into a 5.4” device really squeezes the internals with relation to current battery capacities

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
There are numerous way iPhone 12 can achieve full-screen display. So You need to refrain from denying or pretending the notch can not be removed.

I didn't say it couldn't be removed so please stop putting words in my mouth.

Again, why don't you go show them how it's done? Or do you just like pretending that you know better than professionals that presumably have been working on this for several years?

Reactions: Steve121178

iJustines

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2019
I didn't say it couldn't be removed so please stop putting words in my mouth.

Again, why don't you go show them how it's done Einstein?

No one outside of Apple is going to help even if capable of doing it. Maybe because the Apple employees who work on iPhone hardware and design are too imbecile after 3 consecutive years of failing.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
No one outside of Apple is going to help even if capable of doing it. Maybe because the Apple employees who work on iPhone hardware and design are too imbecile after 3 consecutive years of failing.

Oh? And you're capable?

Please post your detailed schematics (including the tech-shrinking magic) for removing the notch while retaining the tech.

I'm waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It’s not the price I was getting at, OLED causes some people like myself migraines which if they went all OLED is basically saying we aren’t good enough for new iPhones. It seems pointless to have two 6.1” OLED’s when they already have the displays to make one of those LCD.

When I had my X it gave me terrible migraines, but soon as I switched to the XR and now the 11 the migraines went, and I don’t feel like I am missing out compared to the the OLED Pro models either. This lineup is basically saying those of us with PWM sensitivity won’t get any new phones from Apple and are stuck with older models for as long as they will keep selling them.

I'm on the same boat regarding Apples implementation of PWM and tweaks on Samsungs OLED. Looks like I've got to jump ship if I want a new flagship.

Reactions: Stuey3D

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
Instead of multiple models I wish 1,8m power cable that does not change consistency to jelly after one year :)

I always wonder what people do to their cables to break them so badly. I’ve been using iPhones for years and I’ve never (touch wood) had a charging cable break. Weird.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
I'm on the same boat regarding Apples implementation of PWM and tweaks on Samsungs OLED. Looks like I've got to jump ship if I want a new flagship.
Saying that though I’ve heard the Series 5 Apple Watch OLED doesn’t suffer from PWM flicker (not sure how true it is) due to the new OLED tech they are using in that. Maybe just maybe they might use that OLED tech to give the next iPhones always on and potentially flicker free screens.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Did you read?

The total power use is quite alarming here, as we’re exceeding 5W for many workloads.
I did read:
"Apple has gone and increased the peak power draw of the A13 SoC; and so in many cases we’re almost 1W above the A12"

My problem was that apparently my brain missed a comma when I originally read your statement and read it as "the A13 system uses up to 5-6W more power than any previous generation" vs "the A13 system uses up to 5-6W, more power than any previous generation". Sorry, my mistake.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Just give me a iPhone X style phone in the footprint/dimensions of the 5/5s/SE.

That's essentially what the new 5.4" iPhone 12 will be. As noted earlier in this thread, it won't be quite as small as the SE, no. However, depending on bezel width, it might be closer in size to an SE than an SE2. And even if it isn't, it's still going to be the smallest phone Apple has produced since the SE. This fact coupled with the switch back to the slab-like form factor of the SE is sure to make it a very attractive phone to most people who have been holding out for a small, modern iPhone. I suspect that Apple has done their homework here, and when this iPhone finally arrives in stores and people have a chance to hold it in hand, its going to win the vast majority of the SE-size-or-bust crowd over.

Here's the speculative rendering from the article I posted earlier. It's just an artists guess, sure, but it is probably not too far off.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fgordonkelly%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FNew-iPhone-5.4-inch-Edited-1200x855.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.