Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I'm not against more choices. If you think of other markets (cars, cameras, TVs, what have you), the choices that one company offers are much greater. What I don't like is when a line up is not coherent. So 5.4 and 6.1 inches for the lower end, but 6.1 and 6.7 inches for the higher end. Why? WHY? Why would anyone interested in a smaller phone more likely be interested in a phone with less features? And vice versa: Why would anyone interested in a very big phone also be willing to pay extra for the triple camera and everything? A reasonable line up looks like this: 1) 5.4, 6.1, 6.7 low end 2) 5.4, 6.1, 6.7 high end.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
No, I was not really complaining at all. Go back and read my original post, #19, and then I think you will understand that this guy either read the article wrong, or my post wrong, or truly has math issues.

All I said was that I think the 11 Pro Max is slightly too big, and really it only bothers me when I put it in certain pant or short pockets, especially jeans, and especially when you sit down.

I love the screen when I am using it, and I will love the 6.7" screen, it will just be a slightly bigger pain in the ass to put it in certain pant or short pockets and sit down, haha.

:apple:
Lol, what you ACTUALLY said was:
Wow, people that thought 6.5” was a bit too big sure are going to be pissed off about a new even larger size!!
COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that a 2nd slightly smaller phone is going to be offered at the same time... that would placate the people that you made up in your head & imbued with faux rage to portray the misery you’re trying to suggest is impending.

With regards to the acerbic nature of your posts, the insults, & accusations of others being “unable to do math” (relevancy unclear to me), I paraphrase Samuel Johnson... “Skirting the conversation you started & devolving to personal attacks is the last refuge of a scoundrel”.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
There are numerous way the iPhone 12 can achieve full-screen display. So You need to refrain from denying or pretending the notch can not be removed.
All that needs to be done is to figure out how to violate the laws of physics. No prob.

F42F23A9-5E51-471D-BBC3-BE417548F282.jpeg

734EFEDB-8D86-4E3A-B4BE-B21730D661EC.jpeg

iJustines

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2019
Oh? And you're capable?

Please post your detailed schematics (including the tech-shrinking magic) for removing the notch while retaining the tech.

I'm waiting.

Maybe someone should stop blatantly defends about the notch screen and it's quite ridiculous you are to think it's right to post something that considers trade secret.

don pianta

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Cincinnati
Kind of hard to believe there will be a model with no charging port... unless the "no lightning" could refer to another type of charging port...?

From a troubleshooting standpoint, with no hardwire way to connect to a computer, how can you restore a phone or force a software update? A majority of appointments at the Genius Bar are resolved with a restore of the phone using iTunes... I imagine if there's an equivalent way to do so over bluetooth it will take ages...

also, when calibrating an iPhone display replacement the lightning port is used... so i'd hope there is still some kind of port for that

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
So the 5.4" seems still in the game, this is promising !!

Yeah, but it's apparently not going to be a "Pro" model. I was so excited when I heard about a 5.4", it would be the PERFECT size for me. I've been dying for something slightly smaller the 5.8" models, but I really don't want to go to 6.1" for the Pro features. I really hope they change plans. They should offer all 3 sizes with "Pro" features and then an additional 6.1" model without.

Demultiplex_Dfunc

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2019
The diagonal of 4.7 iPhone 8 is 6.03”. This is clearly longer than the rumored 5.4”. I sure hope the new 5.4” model to be smaller than the 4.7” iPhone 8!

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The diagonal of 4.7 iPhone 8 is 6.03”. This is clearly longer than the rumored 5.4”. I sure hope the new 5.4” model to be smaller than the 4.7” iPhone 8!
It will be. I figured it out once, I don’t remember the exact figures but assuming the same bezel width as XS/11 Pro, it’ll be about 1-2 mm less wide and 5-6 mm less tall iirc. Even smaller if there’s a bezel shrink. But it’ll be slightly thicker/heavier than the 8 I would think.

PS Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: Demultiplex_Dfunc

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
I don't understand the obsession with having 5G in a phone in 2019.

The 5G infrastructure is still in its infancy and it will take years to actually get consistent 5G connectivity - even in America let alone in the rest of the world.

At this point it's useless and very imperfect - so Apple is very smart not to rush with it like Samsung for instance.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Yeah, but it's apparently not going to be a "Pro" model. I was so excited when I heard about a 5.4", it would be the PERFECT size for me. I've been dying for something slightly smaller the 5.8" models, but I really don't want to go to 6.1" for the Pro features. I really hope they change plans. They should offer all 3 sizes with "Pro" features and then an additional 6.1" model without.

In my case I don’t mind in not having the best cameras (I would come from an 6 so anything will be better). Even being low end I don’t expect anything worse than my 6 (maybe it will be thicker tough, as the 6 is still the slimmest iPhone ever...)

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I don't understand the obsession with having 5G in a phone in 2019.

The 5G infrastructure is still in its infancy and it will take years to actually get consistent 5G connectivity - even in America let alone in the rest of the world.

At this point it's useless and very imperfect - so Apple is very smart not to rush with it like Samsung for instance.

Future proofing. Plus, the network will never develop if there are too few supporting terminals in the wild.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
When are they just going to just put the phone app on the iPad? I want to see people making calls holding a 12.9 iPad Pro to their heads.
Who still makes calls?
[automerge]1575727423[/automerge]
Need to get me an 11 pro - the last before the 5G zombification begins...

I have AirPods and I love them but they do give me a headache... pretty freaking obvious. Only use them for voice calls, headphones with a wire for music.

5G especially that kind that they want to install stations every 50 meters is going to be crazy. Yeah I won't be living anywhere near these, but knock yourself out

But I gather there's also a 5G that's going on the 4G towers... kinda a better 4G? That should be Ok. Not great but also not radiating from a close distance.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
That's essentially what the new 5.4" iPhone 12 will be. As noted earlier in this thread, it won't be quite as small as the SE, no. However, depending on bezel width, it might be closer in size to an SE than an SE2. And even if it isn't, it's still going to be the smallest phone Apple has produced since the SE. This fact coupled with the switch back to the slab-like form factor of the SE is sure to make it a very attractive phone to most people who have been holding out for a small, modern iPhone. I suspect that Apple has done their homework here, and when this iPhone finally arrives in stores and people have a chance to hold it in hand, its going to win the vast majority of the SE-size-or-bust crowd over.

Here's the speculative rendering from the article I posted earlier. It's just an artists guess, sure, but it is probably not too far off.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fgordonkelly%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2FNew-iPhone-5.4-inch-Edited-1200x855.jpg
That be pretty great. Thanks for the graphic.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Though I enjoy my iPhone 11 Pro, I always felt that the iPhone X generation was just a bit too large for my taste. While I’m excited for the new 5.4” model, I know I‘ll have serious FOMO with the high-end features that the 6.1” iPhone 12 Pro will bring. This will be a hard year for me to decide what model to purchase. I suspect I’ll end up going with the iPhone 12 Pro, but I may go with the smaller model of the features are not too dissimilar.

PennyThought

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2018
article I just read in that Apple is rumored to be releasing six 2020 iPhones...with 4G and 5G capable models being 2 separate phones, I just have to say "Wow!" and shake my head in dismay.

Good thing I wasn't planning on buying in 2020. What about you?

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
Interesting.

So according to this chart (and assuming the 2020 iPhones use the "S" moniker) Apple is going to release the following:

4.7" iPhone SE2 (This is supposed to be released early 2020 as I understand it.)

5.4" iPhone 11s
6.1" iPhone 11s

6.1" iPhone 11s Pro
6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max

So they are going to add yet another new iPhone with the 5.4" iPhone 11s.

Then replace the 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro with the the 6.1" iPhone 11s Pro, and replace the 6.5" iPhone 11 Pro Max with the 6.7" iPhone 11s Pro Max.

This makes no damn sense, and I am seeing 5.8" iPhone 11 Pro and 6.5" iPhone 11 Pro Max users being a little upset about these options being gone, assuming this chart is correct.

Staying with my 8 non plus and waiting for SE2 next year.

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
I just spent the last month trialing the 11 and 11 Pro. 11 was ridiculously big, Pro was just a bit too big (and heavy...they boast about stainless steel but alu is MUCH nicer/lighter), so both went back and I'm back occasionally on an 8 which is the perfect form factor. I'm normally an Android guy (OnePlus and Pixel 3) but a bit back and forth, but if the "SE2" is 4.7 with bezels and a button I officially give up, I mean why change from the 8? It's just another blatant cash grab, like a 64gb iphone pro with the same damned 10 year old UI with nothing but pages of unsortable apps all over the place, for $1379 CAD? Gimme a break, I can buy almost 2x 128gb OnePlus 7 Pro's for that (tho' I tried them too and they are just STUPID big!). Give me a bezel-less 4.7" or 5" with face ID and a couple of cams for $800 CAD and I'll bite, otherwise piss off. Apple's lost its way with iphone so it seems all they do is heat up the same pot of old soup and sell it as farm fresh. I call BS.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I just spent the last month trialing the 11 and 11 Pro. 11 was ridiculously big, Pro was just a bit too big (and heavy...they boast about stainless steel but alu is MUCH nicer/lighter), so both went back and I'm back occasionally on an 8 which is the perfect form factor. I'm normally an Android guy (OnePlus and Pixel 3) but a bit back and forth, but if the "SE2" is 4.7 with bezels and a button I officially give up, I mean why change from the 8? It's just another blatant cash grab, like a 64gb iphone pro with the same damned 10 year old UI with nothing but pages of unsortable apps all over the place, for $1379 CAD? Gimme a break, I can buy almost 2x 128gb OnePlus 7 Pro's for that (tho' I tried them too and they are just STUPID big!). Give me a bezel-less 4.7" or 5" with face ID and a couple of cams for $800 CAD and I'll bite, otherwise piss off. Apple's lost its way with iphone so it seems all they do is heat up the same pot of old soup and sell it as farm fresh. I call BS.
If an iPhone 8 does everything you need, why change? But it is an A11/2GB platform, so 3 years old in 2020. At some point you might want an upgrade.

So one option will be the “SE2”, an upgraded iPhone 8. With A13/3GB innards, it should be good until 2025.

Another option will be the 5.4” iPhone 12. It will A14/3GB (or maybe 4GB), have a couple rear cameras, FaceID, OLED for somewhere $599-699. It will be slightly smaller in width and height than iPhone 8, though thicker. This one will reportedly have 5G, but possibly not the mmWave frequencies (the ones that don’t penetrate walls) that are meant for high density urban areas and fixed wireless access.

You can just pass on the “SE2” in March and wait for the iPhone 12 in the fall. If it’s too expensive for what you get, check out the “SE2”. It’s said to sell for $399. Maybe one of those will appeal to you, or both—or neither. Hard to say at this point.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Buying a new smartphone that got the notch screen is just one of the dumbest things you can do in 2020.

For the 99% of people that don't care about the notch, this is one of the dumbest things we have read in 2019. It amazes me that people are still whining about it. Have you ever even owned or used or looked at one up close? It's a non-issue; the real world doesn't care.

Last edited:
Reactions: PickUrPoison

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
If an iPhone 8 does everything you need, why change? But it is an A11/2GB platform, so 3 years old in 2020. At some point you might want an upgrade.

So one option will be the “SE2”, an upgraded iPhone 8. With A13/3GB innards, it should be good until 2025.

Another option will be the 5.4” iPhone 12. It will A14/3GB (or maybe 4GB), have a couple rear cameras, FaceID, OLED for somewhere $599-699. It will be slightly smaller in width and height than iPhone 8, though thicker. This one will reportedly have 5G, but possibly not the mmWave frequencies (the ones that don’t penetrate walls) that are meant for high density urban areas and fixed wireless access.

You can just pass on the “SE2” in March and wait for the iPhone 12 in the fall. If it’s too expensive for what you get, check out the “SE2”. It’s said to sell for $399. Maybe one of those will appeal to you, or both—or neither. Hard to say at this point.

Yes I'm thinking the new small 12 might be the ticket. In the meantime I'm actually thinking of grabbing another 11 Pro until the 12's come out, its FaceID works better than the X series and I'm pretty tired of the laggy button on my 8. I bought the 8 refurbed off Amazon and have 3 MONTHS to return it!!!

Reactions: PickUrPoison
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.