Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
5.5 tb plus. Not sure at this point. I have it backed up on three different 8 tb drives.
[doublepost=1536952647][/doublepost]
With various streaming options is there still a point to have such a large library? I usually delete tv shows once I have watched them and the season is over. I have a small selection of some of my favourite movies and a few that I want to watch shortly that are not on streaming sites but none of that equals more than 150gb. Then there's music at around 40gb.

Assuming you purchased an item from iTunes, who’s to say it will exist in their store tomorrow? I’d much rather download the video/music I buy from them, strip the DRM from the video files and archive them.

pmore

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2018
View attachment 724708

I do convert all my music files to 80 bitrate in MP3 format. I personally can't tell the difference between a higher bitrate and the 80 playing in my car, on my mac, or on my phone (with or without headphones). My music is for my personal listening and not for "profressional" use, so a super high bitrate is pointless to me. The lower bitrate saves SO much space. At one point I did try to go lower that an 80 bitrate and that is when audio quality started to decrease. I am a millennial that hates steaming music and prefers to carry my entire library with me and my iPhone is perfect for that!
EpT0jbg

That's too low. 160 kbps AAC at least. :eek:

klep28

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Wa. State.
*2.5tb's. All music. Jazz, classical, world, R&R, blues, country (not modern bro-country), classic easy listening, folk, gospel, punk, soul/R&B, reggae, ska, rockabilly, classical Indian, surf, the lot. But no rap, hip-hop or empty pop drivel. I was against lossy music for years until it got to be a drag carrying around cd books. I have my library on 3 computers, rotate music across 8 iPods & a phone w/128gb sd card.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
*2.5tb's. All music. Jazz, classical, world, R&R, blues, country (not modern bro-country), classic easy listening, folk, gospel, punk, soul/R&B, reggae, ska, rockabilly, classical Indian, surf, the lot. But no rap, hip-hop or empty pop drivel. I was against lossy music for years until it got to be a drag carrying around cd books. I have my library on 3 computers, rotate music across 8 iPods & a phone w/128gb sd card.

So I take it you don't have an iPhone? And you don't stream music at all? Do you still find new music or do you feel satisfied with what you have? I get having one iPod (or even three) for just listening to music, but more than that and I'd feel like I'm doing a lot of managing devices versus just using them. For me I want an iPod in my car, an iPod in my office, and an iPod on the go, but I also want AirPods for my iPhone for when I don't take my iPod. But that's just me.

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
Up to 9TB. Movies, TV shows, and music all stored on my trusty 2011 Lenovo Ideacentre. 16GB of RAM and an i5 quad core upgrade made this thing very relevant again.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I have about 200GB of music. It tends to go up in large chunks where I'll buy about a dozen albums or so at a time. I rarely buy movies -- generally just my absolutely favorites, but I did rip all of my movies before throwing away the BD/DVDs a long time ago.

But wow, some of you have some absolutely massive libraries!

TheGeneralLee86

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
West Topsham, VT
Now I have 1024 Movies, 3.97TB, 77.7 Days and 396 TV shows, 4.48TB, 128.7 Days That means it would take me a long time to watch all of my movies and tv shows! I love my huge Library and am very proud of it too!

Tote1949

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2019
All right, who has the largest iTunes library?

I currently have 372GB...

Habitus :apple:
Have around 2000 CDs and 2500 LPs couple of movies digitized ALL encoding around 1.3 Tb
No way I will do this again what will happen when iTunes upgraded or killed later this year?

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Have around 2000 CDs and 2500 LPs couple of movies digitized ALL encoding around 1.3 Tb
No way I will do this again what will happen when iTunes upgraded or killed later this year?

Nothing....the name of the app is changing, and movies/tv shows/podcasts have their own apps. over 18 years ago, all the same music, movies, and video content still works...worst case scenario use a universal media player or get a Mac with enough storage and that can be used with older versions of macOS/Mac OS X and continue to use your content.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
This lot has incredible libraries. I don't have much in my library, even though I have a large CD collection. I mostly only import songs I listen to frequently, and not with the highest settings. As a result, my library is only about 4.5GB.

If I were to import everything at a high quality, I could build a huge library, but I am unwilling to do so. I don't use iTunes for anything but music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.