Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi guys,

I just wanted to find out if anyone has long term experience with the Apple Leather Cases, how well do they hold up? I use my phone a lot, and the Black silicone case is starting to look a little smooth and shiny on areas that I hold it in my hand a lot.

Will the leather case hold up better than the Apple Silicone case?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Love the Apple leather cases, black one is always my go to case with any new iPhone.

The brown one has a better aged patina over time but it can look grubby whilst getting to that stage in which case stick with black.

The Mujjo cases are also very good leather cases, and they have a few unique colours as well.

Reactions: Tsepz

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I have had apple leather cases on all my iPhones since the 3GS, they are great, currently a black one
[automerge]1574731964[/automerge]
oh, and take look at this thread

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Have one on my iPhone X and it‘s an excellent case. I thought the open bottom was going to be an issue for me but, I haven’t had any problem with damage or scratches after a year..

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
there’s a whole thread dedicated to the leather cases down in the Accessories forums.

basically, they can either wear gracefully (brown and black), become a nasty mess, or fall apart.

If you have very sweaty hands I’d get the clear case...

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apple leather cases are a great fit and are durable
Avoid the light colors like tan as they get a patina which
Some people like and others dont

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I agree, the Apple cases are great! The saddle brown gathers a lovely patina over time and the black looks great with the space grey iPhone 11 Pro. They are also very durable and protect the phone well (ignoring the bottom cut-out of course, but it really is a non-issue). I've had a few nasty drops with the case on, including sending my phone flying half way across a London underground carriage and the phone was still pristine afterwards.

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
I've had both the leather and the silicone cases. I prefer the feel of the leather. However, a little more than a year of use, the corners of the Cosmic Blue case on my X started turning black. If something like that bothers you, I'd suggest sticking with the black leather. I'll be ordering my 11 Pro Max soon, and will get a black leather case for that.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I've had both the leather and the silicone cases. I prefer the feel of the leather. However, a little more than a year of use, the corners of the Cosmic Blue case on my X started turning black. If something like that bothers you, I'd suggest sticking with the black leather. I'll be ordering my 11 Pro Max soon, and will get a black leather case for that.

I agree, only the brown and black age well over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.