Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Hi folks. Just picked up a black leather loop and it rattles. I had read about the magnets moving and getting phantom notifications but I hadn’t expected it to be quite so significant, and loud. It’s like wearing a metal link band. I’ve read about loosening the band but whatever I do it’s the same.
I’m wondering, 1. Does it settle down as the leather wear in? 2. Do you get used to it?

I like the look, feel and comfort of the band but not sure I can get used to the rattle if it stays this obvious. So I am considering returning it but would appreciate opinions from others.
Thanks!

P.S. if something is bought in an Apple store is it possible to return by post? I bought the band in a store in London but won’t have access to an Apple store in person again until after the return window so would need to post it if I decide to return

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Hi folks. Just picked up a black leather loop and it rattles. I had read about the magnets moving and getting phantom notifications but I hadn’t expected it to be quite so significant, and loud. It’s like wearing a metal link band. I’ve read about loosening the band but whatever I do it’s the same.
I’m wondering, 1. Does it settle down as the leather wear in? 2. Do you get used to it?

I like the look, feel and comfort of the band but not sure I can get used to the rattle if it stays this obvious. So I am considering returning it but would appreciate opinions from others.
Thanks!

P.S. if something is bought in an Apple store is it possible to return by post? I bought the band in a store in London but won’t have access to an Apple store in person again until after the return window so would need to post it if I decide to return
I don't have any of those issues with my leather loop so I can't really help on that part.

About the returns I purchased the Airpods Pro online and was able to return them in-store so I would think it would work in reverse. A quick call to Apple would give you the correct answer.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I have several Leather Loops (original Black, current Saddle Brown and recent Cape Cod Blue), and have never experienced anything remotely like what you're seeing - they wrap on, and stay in place quietly until I remove them.

I have also seen nothing about the magnets moving or phantom notifications - can you post a link?

In any case, if the Leather Loop makes any noise at all, I would get it exchanged as soon as possible.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for the replies. The phantom notifications were mentioned by mr mobile
and I’ve seen the noise mentioned on many old threads macrumors and reddit. Good to know not everyone gets the problem though so maybe this will settle down, or I can try exchange it

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Occasionally you can feel the magnets shifting but for me they’re not intrusive and usually only happens when wearing the loop tightly. I normally wear it with a bit of give so doesn’t happen much.

apart from that I’ve never experienced any audible noises, let alone loud ones like what you’ve described.

Last edited:

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Ok thanks. Maybe I’ll try pop in an Apple store and my wrist at an Apple employee to see what they think. If it’s not normal then they should exchange it. I am enjoying the adjustability vs the silicone band so would be a shame to give up on the leather loop now

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011

Thanks!

I did recently receive a the leather loop tha I purchased online from the apple store. Mine also rattled when I moved my wrist around. I ended up returning it, I though it was normal for the leather loop to do this.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
For those that haven’t noticed problems I wonder if it is related to how much overlap you have on the band. With the loop full open it is completely silent. But with the loop fastened it’s when the two pieces are together by the magnets that noise is made. I have small writs and the band is almost too big so I have maximum overlap which might be why it’s so noisy. It is improving but not going away yet. Still undecided on whether to return

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
So the conclusion of this thread is I returned the band today. If it were the same price as a sports band then I would have kept it but for £99 I expected more and whilst the rattling improved a bit I’m not convinced it will go away completely and didn’t want to risk going outside the return window.

Reactions: twanj

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
I told her the reason why. She just smiled and processed the return.

Reactions: CarlJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.