Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
Last year, I started leaving the Apple ecosystem when I purchased a Dell XPS 15 over the MacBook Pro. It was literally $1000 cheaper than the MBP for the same specs, so I couldn't justify getting the MBP. My next step away from Apple was when I bought the Samsung Galaxy S9+ in March. I was getting really frustrated with some of the limitations of iOS (Siri, can't download videos from Safari, being strongly pushed to only use Apple apps, like Apple Maps and Apple Music over Google Maps/Waze and Spotify). The iPhone X was also a couple hundred dollars more than the S9+, which factored into my decision.

I love my S9+, I really do. The features and specs this phone packs in is amazing. The screen is stunning. The speakers with Dolby Atmos are top notch. The build quality and design are very premium. The customization, freedom, and power of choice that this phone and Android give are very liberating. The performance is fast and great besides a few app crashes/freezes (I've had problems with Spotify and YouTube at times). I never realized how much I appreciated the headphone jack until I had it back. My XPS performs great as well and I've had no issues with it.

However, I can't stop considering switching back to the Apple ecosystem. I really, really miss iMessage, AirDrop, iCloud, and the continuity between all my devices. I truly loathe SMS. It's not like other parts of the world where lots of people use WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, etc. either, which would make replacing iMessage much easier. When it comes to missing AirDrop, I recorded some videos on my S9+, tried sending it to my iPad Pro to edit, which was a huge process in itself, but my iPad also wouldn't accept the file (it was HEVC and incompatible, which is also confusing because Apple has high efficiency photo/video options now in Settings). I uploaded years of pictures to Google Photos, but I hate knowing that I gave up so much info/privacy to Google by doing that, and I just feel the integration with iCloud works better. The whole privacy issue is constantly in the back of my mind with my all my main internet browsing being on Windows and Android. I also have only gotten one single security update since I've had my S9+, which worries me.

I also really miss the creative software Apple produces for macOS. I like messing around in Logic Pro. I've tried Ableton Live, but I much prefer the interface of Logic. I love the interface and workflow of Final Cut Pro much more than Adobe Premiere, and I hate the high monthly cost of Adobe software. As a student, I could get Logic and Final Cut for $200 total, which is a steal, especially since I'd get lifetime upgrades too.

All of this has made me start thinking about selling all my current devices and putting it towards getting an iPhone X/"X2" and a MacBook Pro. However, I'd still have to pay a lot of money to switch over even after selling my devices, and I have some reservations. The MacBook Pro keyboard problems scare me a bit. I'm afraid I'll miss the freedom of Android and Google Assistant. My car also only works with Android Auto, not CarPlay, so I'll really miss that. It also just makes me feel wasteful buying new devices when all my current devices work great.

Any thoughts or experiences you would like to share? I'm dying for some insight here.

Reactions: trifid and Roadstar

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
There are pro's and con's for all systems, and their combinations. Since you seem quite knowledgeable/techy, I am pretty sure you won't get the holy grail here - You already know the answer to your question, you just want someone else to confirm you in it. :) It is really only you who can say which one caters the best to you!

Is iMessage, AirDrop, iCloud, continuity and cheaper movie/image editing software, worth ~2000$ to you? At least you would get the newest of the newest if you switched back. But with such a big switch, I would recommend you try it out at least 1-2 years before going back, so you can get into the 'new' way of doing things.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If you don't like Google Photos, you could always use OneDrive. Or DropBox.

iMessage is able to be replaced by Skype these days, which everyone with a Windows 10 computer has. SMS does suck and it's not going to get better any time soon.

I'd also recommend trying out Lightworks to replace Final Cut and Audacity for Logic.

Heck, soon enough you'd even be able to install audacity and lightworks on a Chromebook. But that wouldn't get rid of the privacy fears.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I would wait until at least the next MacBook Pro revision before selling the Windows/Android gear. For after all, the current MacBook Pro keyboard is a trainwreck and unless there’s a significant reliability improvement introduced, there’s no way I’m spending MBP money on such a machine and I can’t recommend them to anyone else either.

This dilemma is a familiar one for me as well as I own gear from both camps, but now that my Mac mini isn’t going to get Mojave and the iPad Pro hasn’t turned out to be the kind of a laptop replacement I hoped I could turn it into, I’d need to get a new daily driver computer. In addition to my Mac mini, I have a desktop Windows machine for some games, but it’s also an old one that can fail pretty much any day. I’m most likely going to get a laptop (unless Apple resurrects the Mac mini with something less crappy than the 2014 model), but right now it’s the question of whether Apple’s going to release a laptop that I could justify buying. If they continue with the current fail-prone keyboard, I think I’ll have to get a ThinkPad. At least those things have a superb keyboard.

The integration advantages of Apple gear are obvious, but as iMessage isn’t any kind of a deciding factor for me (I live in a WhatsApp area), but there’s also the question of what kind of iPhone hardware Apple is going to release. Currently I have an iPhone 8 and a Galaxy S8+. I bought the iPhone 8 as it’s quite likely the last model with a TouchID and I’m not quite convinced about FaceID yet. The S9 generation still has a fingerprint reader and I’m quite positive that the S10 is going to have one too (possibly integrated into the display), so this one is also going to be somewhat of a tough call. If Samsung actually released the Linux on Galaxy functionality they’ve been promising for a while now, they could make my decision a bit easier.

Reactions: arkitect

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Meh, ecosystems. Just get used to a different way of doing things. If saving a boatload of cash and getting more for your money can't convince you to get your head around different ways of doing things then by all means lose a ton of cash to get iMessage and Airdrop back, two of the most overrated things in the history of overrated things...

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Any thoughts or experiences you would like to share? I'm dying for some insight here.

You lost me in the first paragraph, who is pushing you to use Apple maps over google maps, I use google maps on my X and iMac no problems.
You didnt do your homework and now have found the grass isn’t greener on the other side, wait till you need warranty you won’t be worrying about the extra few hundred you could of paid.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Last year, I started leaving the Apple ecosystem when I purchased a Dell XPS 15 over the MacBook Pro. It was literally $1000 cheaper than the MBP for the same specs, so I couldn't justify getting the MBP. My next step away from Apple was when I bought the Samsung Galaxy S9+ in March. I was getting really frustrated with some of the limitations of iOS (Siri, can't download videos from Safari, being strongly pushed to only use Apple apps, like Apple Maps and Apple Music over Google Maps/Waze and Spotify). The iPhone X was also a couple hundred dollars more than the S9+, which factored into my decision.

I love my S9+, I really do. The features and specs this phone packs in is amazing. The screen is stunning. The speakers with Dolby Atmos are top notch. The build quality and design are very premium. The customization, freedom, and power of choice that this phone and Android give are very liberating. The performance is fast and great besides a few app crashes/freezes (I've had problems with Spotify and YouTube at times). I never realized how much I appreciated the headphone jack until I had it back. My XPS performs great as well and I've had no issues with it.

However, I can't stop considering switching back to the Apple ecosystem. I really, really miss iMessage, AirDrop, iCloud, and the continuity between all my devices. I truly loathe SMS. It's not like other parts of the world where lots of people use WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, etc. either, which would make replacing iMessage much easier. When it comes to missing AirDrop, I recorded some videos on my S9+, tried sending it to my iPad Pro to edit, which was a huge process in itself, but my iPad also wouldn't accept the file (it was HEVC and incompatible, which is also confusing because Apple has high efficiency photo/video options now in Settings). I uploaded years of pictures to Google Photos, but I hate knowing that I gave up so much info/privacy to Google by doing that, and I just feel the integration with iCloud works better. The whole privacy issue is constantly in the back of my mind with my all my main internet browsing being on Windows and Android. I also have only gotten one single security update since I've had my S9+, which worries me.

I also really miss the creative software Apple produces for macOS. I like messing around in Logic Pro. I've tried Ableton Live, but I much prefer the interface of Logic. I love the interface and workflow of Final Cut Pro much more than Adobe Premiere, and I hate the high monthly cost of Adobe software. As a student, I could get Logic and Final Cut for $200 total, which is a steal, especially since I'd get lifetime upgrades too.

All of this has made me start thinking about selling all my current devices and putting it towards getting an iPhone X/"X2" and a MacBook Pro. However, I'd still have to pay a lot of money to switch over even after selling my devices, and I have some reservations. The MacBook Pro keyboard problems scare me a bit. I'm afraid I'll miss the freedom of Android and Google Assistant. My car also only works with Android Auto, not CarPlay, so I'll really miss that. It also just makes me feel wasteful buying new devices when all my current devices work great.

I go through a similar dilemma at least once a year. I have mostly Apple gear but also pretty decent amount of Google products and use Google services for many things. I have frustrations regarding Apple’s pricing (both hardware and for things like Cloud storage) as well as services limitations. I’m also drawn to the synergies across Google services (thanks to all the data I’m giving ‘em ;)) and think Google Assistant is easily the best amongst all of them. This generally leads me to test out an Android phone (usually a Nexus or now, Pixel phone), Windows computer and/or Chromebook (presently test driving a Pixelbook) and maybe a different watch, at least once a year.

What I discover is that for all the flexibility Android offers, I still miss the benefits of an fully developed ecosystem. Chrome OS/Windows don’t measure up vs. Mac OS, there is nothing that compares to my iPP 12.9, nor the Apple Watch and the ease of use between all the different hardware is invaluable to me. And like you, Apple Messages is just too good and easy for my daily interactions. Also, FWIW, having used both, I find CarPlay a bit nicer of an experience vs. Android Auto. Adding Google Maps and Waze to the mix this autumn will just seal the deal.

So invariably I always keep coming back to my Apple eccentric daily life. It’s far from perfect but overall, yet how it fits my personal preferences and workflow is still the best, again, for me. Won’t stop me from testing the waters every year though. :D

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You lost me in the first paragraph, who is pushing you to use Apple maps over google maps, I use google maps on my X and iMac no problems.
You didnt do your homework and now have found the grass isn’t greener on the other side, wait till you need warranty you won’t be worrying about the extra few hundred you could of paid.

I've only ever had iPhones go faulty on me...
The thing is though, we all buy loads of items which don't have Applecare etc. We buy loads of items where the standard manufacturer's guarantee is sufficient. I'm so glad that I wasn't taken in longterm by paying a fortune for outdated tech and then being suckered to pay more on top to get Applecare etc. Still if iMessage is the dealbreaker...

Reactions: yui4 and Regime2008

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
I've only ever had iPhones go faulty on me...
The thing is though, we all buy loads of items which don't have Applecare etc. We buy loads of items where the standard manufacturer's guarantee is sufficient. I'm so glad that I wasn't taken in longterm by paying a fortune for outdated tech and then being suckered to pay more on top to get Applecare etc. Still if iMessage is the dealbreaker...

Don’t need Apple care here we have 2 year warranty on all Apple products, it’s more about the service than getting the run around and screwed over.

I have bought used and sold over 50 iPhones, only had problems on 2 that were abused by teeenagers.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I've decided to go back to Apple and picked up a second hand X to hold me over till the new plus is released. Then I will pay cash for it and sell my X. Selling my Note 8 now on Swappa.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018

When switching back I recommend considering the iPhone 8 or 8+since both are cheaper than the Galaxy S9+
[doublepost=1528593637][/doublepost]Also Apple certified refurbished may be an option to get a Mac Book Pro cheaper. A certified refurbished iPhone 7 or 7+ can be acquired cheaply as well.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Wish the mods would delete the snarky responses here.

The OP wanted some help with something & took the time to write up a long OP. To have people then put them down & turn it into IOS v Android war does nothing.

I can't help myself, as I haven't used Android recently, but I was hoping to see how someone who'd left Apple is going, should I decide to follow in future.

& yet the fanbois take over another thread...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Wish the mods would delete the snarky responses here.

The OP wanted some help with something & took the time to write up a long OP. To have people then put them down & turn it into IOS v Android war does nothing.

I can't help myself, as I haven't used Android recently, but I was hoping to see how someone who'd left Apple is going, should I decide to follow in future.

& yet the fanbois take over another thread...

I'm no fanboi but fail to see the earth shatteringly large step that leaving Apple is for some folk. All the top phones do more or less the same things and Android arguably do more things...for less money. However, for some folk having iMessage is essential whereas I can never fathom why it is even remotely essential. I understand that it is though and these folk should stick with iPhones until the end of time itself. If you think that iMessage might be a deakbreaker then it will be, end of.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

As others have suggested there are alternatives to recover a lot of your continuity and you should be running Icloud for windows to make it easier for you on photo's, bookmarks, contacts etc across platforms in addition to MS products that also help with message notifications from phone to laptop, but no call answering yet

Imessage is a bit of a mixed bag IMO and I dislike the casualness that can occur in pushing MMS to non iPhone owners that can rack up costs or diminish allowances for those on bundles. Sure if most of your contacts are iPhone owners there is a reasonable case for it.

There is supposedly a major shake up of message services coming later in the year that will be instigated by the carriers opposed to OEM's, if/when this occurs you are more likely to be happier with your switch

I would not be overly concerned by the lack of some carriers to push out updates, sure easy for us with international variants to be smug as we get them regularly but as you often read many are more annoyed with new bugs that come with some IOS updates, so it's a bit of a mixed bag sometimes.

As a student you may well be glad you are Windows proficient as your working life as its more likely to be the product you will use 8 hrs a day

Reactions: arkitect

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm no fanboi but fail to see the earth shatteringly large step that leaving Apple is for some folk. All the top phones do more or less the same things and Android arguably do more things...for less money. However, for some folk having iMessage is essential whereas I can never fathom why it is even remotely essential. I understand that it is though and these folk should stick with iPhones until the end of time itself. If you think that iMessage might be a deakbreaker then it will be, end of.
We are all different and have different needs. I agree that the flagship phones all do more or less the same thing. However the deal breaker for me is the ecosystem.

I not only have an iPhone but 2 iPads, a MacBook, 2 Apple TVs,an Apple Watch, a HomePod and airpods. Not only do I think that those products are the best in their class for me, it’s the way they all work together seamlessly. That’s what o can’t get on other platforms.

Reactions: nj1266 and tbayrgs

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
We are all different and have different needs. I agree that the flagship phones all do more or less the same thing. However the deal breaker for me is the ecosystem.

I not only have an iPhone but 2 iPads, a MacBook, 2 Apple TVs,an Apple Watch, a HomePod and airpods. Not only do I think that those products are the best in their class for me, it’s the way they all work together seamlessly. That’s what o can’t get on other platforms.

I accept that when someone goes all in with Apple like you have then it makes no real sense to get an Android phone. The OP just had a MacBook and iPhone though.

TooDarkPark

Suspended
Nov 23, 2017
I accept that when someone goes all in with Apple like you have then it makes no real sense to get an Android phone. The OP just had a MacBook and iPhone though.
I have 6 Apple watches, 3 4K Apple TVs, MBP, Mac Mini, 2 SEs, 6S, 6S+, 7+, 8+ and a few iPads and I still buy whatever new Samsung comes out each year. What doesn't make sense about using both Android and iPhones?

Reactions: Breaking Good

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
Apple's commitment to privacy is the top priority at our house. That alone will keep us in the Apple ecosystem until they betray our trust by selling our data. For others, budget is the top priority. However, the quality of Apple computers has justified the higher initial cost in virtually no need for service and lifespan of 5-7 years. Apple is definitely a little slow to the game with software, but usually does it right in the end. Not even considering leaving Apple world at this time.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
As someone who switches between both OSes so often, I can say they have their pros and cons. Apple has too many cons for me right now and I just want to stick with Android only. However, the phone I want (Pixel 3) doesn't come out till October; Apple has a chance to impress me with a budget model and some possible surprise features I may not know about until they announce it. I may warm up to iOS 12; right now I think it's an abysmal update considering the direct iOS 11 went.

Reactions: Breaking Good

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Rather switch back to Apple. It sounds like you are difficulties adjusting to other OSs.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I switched from all in on the Apple ecosystem and have been very happy with the switch. I had a Macbook Air and Mini, a couple of iPads, iPhone 6s+, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and Airport Extremes. I don't use any of this stuff any more and have re-purposed with other family members or sold. I now use a Surface Pro, Note 8, Gear S3, Rokus, and Netgear Orbi.

There are pros and cons with any ecosystem. With Apple, you will pay more to get less choice, and less interoperability with non-Apple stuff. Sounds like you still have an iPad in the mix so that is probably part of your frustration. You are still having to know/use iOS, but getting none of the Apple ecosystem benefits. For me, I'm just using two primary devices now. Here are my thoughts on a couple of things you mentioned as complaints:

- iMessages - This is really the only real obstacle if you have a lot of people you need to interact with, and your share videos with them, and you can't get them to use something else to do that. My whole family is using iPhones except for me, but that is pretty much it and we use GroupMe and/or Google Photos family share for anything serious involving pics or videos. Otherwise the regular messaging works just fine.
- Security Patches - This is primarily in your head. Have you ever heard of anyone having their Android phone hacked because of an out of date security patch? I haven't.
- Privacy - Again, I think this is primarily in your head. You are worried about Google doing something with your picture and videos in Google Photos? I really don't think that is something to worry about unless they are naked pictures and you are a famous person. In my case, neither apply.
- Software - I had software I used in my daily life that doesn't exist on Windows. It took me a while, but I adapted and found other ways to work and be as productive. For me, the two biggies were Omnifocus and DevonThink. But I got over them. If you can't, then that is a reason to go back. But give it sufficient time and a real effort to learn and adjust.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I think you're suffering from what a lot of folks are suffering from now in regards to smartphones: boredom. We've all been using the same devices for approximately 10 years now. None of them do anything radically different than the other one. Each platform has it's own share of flaws and strengths, with no clear advantage one way or the other. So it comes down to the dreaded "it's all about how you use your phone." I've been OS hopping for years, and this is the first time where I finally calmed down. I've been on iPhone X exclusively for the last few months, and I've been fine. No lust for any new Android because...they're all the same phone. Seriously. The skins may change a bit but there just isn't much difference between an S9 and an LG G7. OnePlus is intriguing...until you realize, eh, it's basically just a less expensive Pixel. Even online tech reviewers are bored to death with this stuff. Most reviews for virtually every flagship strike much the same notes: good phone, perfectly fine, best screen, camera is good, yada yada yada. You can tell them struggling to find something noteworthy to say about any given device now.

What I'm suggesting is you probably had very little real reason to switch, and you should just go back to Apple with the understanding that none of these phones in and of themselves are terribly exciting or will change anything you do day to day. If you stick with Android, you'll eventually incorporate it into your daily life workflow same as iOS...until certain things annoy you and you'll switch back. This, again, is mostly just boredom talking. I'd try to work through it and ignore.

I'm going to just be purchasing whatever new large screen iPhone is released this fall. Won't even bother with any Android devices for the first time in forever because...what is there? A Note 9, which will be an S9+ Plus? What else? Pixel 3? Bleh.

They're all the same. Stop worrying about the phone/devices you use, worry more about what it is you're doing with them.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
- Security Patches - This is primarily in your head. Have you ever heard of anyone having their Android phone hacked because of an out of date security patch? I haven't.

Most people would never know the source of an attack against them was their Android phone running insecure software. When data gets stolen most people just presume some website got hacked. I don't think anyone should be taking any comfort in your statement above.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.