Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Apple fans may not feel trapped but they are usually all in on Apple that they don't even know what is possible outside of Apple. With android you can tap to send with NFC.

Fair point but same situation as AirDrop is for Apple users--platform exclusive. And for many in the US, that puts you in the minority (in regards to their daily interactions, not market share).

Most Apple users care about privacy so when they setup airdrop, they would have set it to only receive files from people in their contacts list only.

So step one in using AirDrop is to get 8 or 9 email addresses from the parents at the game ...

No it doesn't, it means flipping a single AirDrop setting switch to 'Everyone'.

That chart is for worldwide, not USA. Tell me which USA carrier sells an android phone that is $200

All of them. Go look on any of the major carrier websites and you'll find them (LGs, Motos, Kyocera, Samsung, etc). Head to any of the smaller carriers like MetroPCS, Virgin, Cricket, US Cellular and you find even greater numbers of cheap handsets.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Nope but I've used one extensively aswell as the S3. Ive also seen many people who have used both and say the same. But wait you are the guy who thinks the Note 8 and S9 lags so I don't take anything you say seriously, your credibility went out the window with those comments.

If I got a Pixel 2, what watch would coincide with it?

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
The Samsung Gear S3 is on par imo.

You have owned a Apple Watch?

I have... I still own one and wore it for 2 years daily and used it quite heavily. When I moved to the Note 8, I was fully expecting that the lack of a smartwatch was going to be one of the things that pulled me back to Apple eventually. I got a Gear S3 Frontier when I got the Note 8. It took me just a week or so to find that I liked the Gear S3 better than AW in many ways.

First, the user interface and rotating bezel are so much better than AW's somewhat kludgey interface. They improved it, but still not nearly as intuitive. I use these in the gym and when running, and with sweaty fingers I found the AW very frustrating, and the Gear S3 is way better in this setting. The other things I really like for the S3 are its sleep tracking, the health app, Samsung Pay (works in more places in the US), taking calls/messages, being able to have a keyboard for inputting if I need it, and streaming / preloading Spotify. I also like the look and feel of it way more because it looks like a real watch, and I can load different watch faces.

The things I don't like... complications are really the only thing I miss. If these were better done on the S3, I'd be happy. As for Apps, there are way fewer which is unfortunate, but 95% of what I really use are the things that came with it. On the AW, most of the apps that I used were more novelty than anything because I generally had my phone and could do it just as easy, if not easier, on the phone.

Reactions: Regime2008

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
The other things I really like for the S3 are its sleep tracking, the health app, Samsung Pay (works in more places in the US), taking calls/messages, being able to have a keyboard for inputting if I need it, and streaming / preloading Spotify. I also like the look and feel of it way more because it looks like a real watch, and I can load different watch faces.

Those are good indeed. If we had Samsung Pay available here, I’d most likely still have the Gear S3 Frontier, but Apple Pay and HomeKit got me to trade it for an Apple Watch.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The Gear 3 is the nicest looking smartwatch by far. Seriously though, who needs a smartwatch? I bought one and since the two month old mark I have regretted it. I just find it utterly pointless. It's slow and cumbersome to reply to messages using the watch and who on earth cares about sleep tracking?? You use it for a week out of curiosity and that's that. The only thing they're good for is fitness. The heartrate monitor is kinda useful but even then...

Reactions: MarkX and arkitect

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
The Gear 3 is the nicest looking smartwatch by far. Seriously though, who needs a smartwatch? I bought one and since the two month old mark I have regretted it. I just find it utterly pointless. It's slow and cumbersome to reply to messages using the watch and who on earth cares about sleep tracking?? You use it for a week out of curiosity and that's that. The only thing they're good for is fitness. The heartrate monitor is kinda useful but even then...
I agree with you but I got my apple watch because my Gamin Forerunner was showing signs of use

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Yup, if @sunking101 doesn't have a use for it, it must be useless. What could millions of people be thinking? :rolleyes:

Reactions: jamezr

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yup, if @sunking101 doesn't have a use for it, it must be useless. What could millions of people be thinking? :rolleyes:

Tech nerds. The kind of people who flip flagship phones after 6-12 months. Seriously, who does need a smartwatch? Didn't the CEO of Huawei say that they were pointless? I own one, I put it to the test. I'm not blindly trolling. I did give them one caveat, that they're kinda ok for fitness *but again not essential. The heartrate stuff, GPS and timings can be useful for runners etc. I do give them that.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue
Tech nerds. The kind of people who flip flagship phones after 6-12 months. Seriously, who does need a smartwatch? Didn't the CEO of Huawei say that they were pointless? I own one, I put it to the test. I'm not blindly trolling. I did give them one caveat, that they're kinda ok for fitness *but again not essential. The heartrate stuff, GPS and timings can be useful for runners etc. I do give them that.
I think a lot of it has to do with the coolness factor of having an apple watch

Reactions: sunking101

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Plenty of things I use my Apple Watch for, like Apple Pay, notifications, alarms at night when I’m at work and can’t use my phone or when I want to get up to feed my newborn in the night but don’t want to disturb others by using my phone. For fitness tracking. For triaging my notifications without having to get out my phone, for quick replies to messages. As a remote for my Apple TV when I don’t have my phone to hand remote. Quick glances at my schedule. Checking the weather without opening my phone. Answering phone calls at home when I don’t have my phone on me. Controlling audio playback on my phone without having to take my phone out of my bag. Instant notifications. For asking Siri quick questions when not in possession of my iPhone or out of range of my phone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Plenty of things I use my Apple Watch for, like Apple Pay, notifications, alarms at night when I’m at work and can’t use my phone or when I want to get up to feed my newborn in the night but don’t want to disturb others by using my phone. For fitness tracking. For triaging my notifications without having to get out my phone, for quick replies to messages. As a remote for my Apple TV when I don’t have my phone to hand remote. Quick glances at my schedule. Checking the weather without opening my phone. Answering phone calls at home when I don’t have my phone on me. Controlling audio playback on my phone without having to take my phone out of my bag. Instant notifications. For asking Siri quick questions when not in possession of my iPhone or out of range of my phone.
That's just basically a list of the phone features. Sure some folks use them but you could manage all of that with a phone and a digital watch without any disastrous impact on your life.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
That's just basically a list of the phone features. Sure some folks use them but you could manage all of that with a phone and a digital watch without any disastrous impact on your life.
Yes but you can use that argument for lots of things. You for example don’t need the note 8. You could make do with a budget smartphone. It would do the basic tasks you need. We have these devices to make our lives easier and things more convenient.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yes but you can use that argument for lots of things. You for example don’t need the note 8. You could make do with a budget smartphone. It would do the basic tasks you need. We have these devices to make our lives easier and things more convenient.

This is true but most of us have got to the point that we *need* a smartphone but that isn't so true of smartwatches as the poor uptake of Android Wear kinda proves. Buying a better quality of phone, car, house, holiday etc isn't the same as buying a smartwatch which is a whole new genre so to speak.:D

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
This is true but most of us have got to the point that we *need* a smartphone but that isn't so true of smartwatches as the poor uptake of Android Wear kinda proves. Buying a better quality of phone, car, house, holiday etc isn't the same as buying a smartwatch which is a whole new genre so to speak.:D

I don’t think I would use a smart watch too much. Example when I’m on my Mac and get a notification like a text I use my iPhone I don’t use my Mac to respond.

Reactions: sunking101

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I don’t think I would use a smart watch too much. Example when I’m on my Mac and get a notification like a text I use my iPhone I don’t use my Mac to respond.

I definitely see your point. I don't think I would use a smartphone very much, just give me a nice rotary dial corded phone, but please only the really long curly cord. I also don't see the point of texting, seems like regular post office mail is more secure and I really like the feel of real paper.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I agree that smart watches are a luxury item however using android wear as metric for that isn’t accurate. The Apple Watch has sold well but it doesn’t mean that we need smartwatches.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I agree that smart watches are a luxury item however using android wear as metric for that isn’t accurate. The Apple Watch has sold well but it doesn’t mean that we need smartwatches.

It’s a wearable therefore they are a luxury item which is OK.

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018

I do, when at my desk i use my iMac to send messages, why pick up your phone when you can type it on a keyboard.
[doublepost=1529358935][/doublepost]

You could but a digital watch won't sync with your phone, they are like iPads some people can't afford/justify them so just use their phone.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017

Agreed. My S3 Gear Classic, that I just sold when I went back to the X, was a bit slow. I would lift my hand to see what the vibration was about, and it's slow to show it, where I have to hold my arm for a bit up to finally show it where the Apple Watch is instant. I wasn't happy with how slow it was. It also rebooted on it's own on occasion.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Agreed. My S3 Gear Classic, that I just sold when I went back to the X, was a bit slow. I would lift my hand to see what the vibration was about, and it's slow to show it, where I have to hold my arm for a bit up to finally show it where the Apple Watch is instant. I wasn't happy with how slow it was. It also rebooted on it's own on occasion.

I had this slowness as well, it was really annoying. This might have been fixed with a software update later on, but it was an issue when the opportunity to trade the S3 for an Apple Watch Series 3 turned up and I took it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.