Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Yeah, heard good stuff about ThinkPads and Windows isn't bad, but when you make statements like that you don't get away with them easily... Specs alone, I fully agree. On paper. in the real world? ;-) .. don't kid yourself or the OP / forum-ers'
I am tossing in the towel on Apple.. Sold my XS today and am selling my MBP...

Picked up a Galaxy S10 and the Lenovo is on the way..

I've had several X1C's, Yoga's ect over the years from Lenovo.. Nothing wrong with them and Win10 is nowhere even as close to as bad as it was.. It's actually quite good these days..

Reactions: kazmac

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
I am tossing in the towel on Apple.. Sold my XS today and am selling my MBP...

Picked up a Galaxy S10 and the Lenovo is on the way..

I've had several X1C's, Yoga's ect over the years from Lenovo.. Nothing wrong with them and Win10 is nowhere even as close to as bad as it was.. It's actually quite good these days..

I sold my XR for an S10+ not long ago and had an X280 with a higher spec than my former MBP 13” 512GB TB last year, and I can tell you the MBP smoked the X280 despite the X280 having a better processor, double the RAM... I like Windows, but by no means does even a well configured PC smoke a MBP in the real world. Compare the start up times, durations of repetitive processor intensive tasks, general responsiveness and its clear where the MBP shines

Whatever works for you is best for you, but you’ll definitely be called out on statements of a TP demolishing a MBP, especially with no real evidence

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Custom configs always take a few weeks from Lenovo... If you order a pre configured system they generally ship in a few days..

These days even they say things are in stock and will ship in 1-3 business days, after ordering shipment get postponded by weeks.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
These days even they say things are in stock and will ship in 1-3 business days, after ordering shipment get postponded by weeks.
Over the years I've ordered 6 or 7 computer from Lenovo and only had a delay once. Most times mine have shipped before the estimate. The X1C Yoga that just shipped is one week ahead of schedule..

Guess I've been lucky..

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Over the years I've ordered 6 or 7 computer from Lenovo and only had a delay once. Most times mine have shipped before the estimate. The X1C Yoga that just shipped is one week ahead of schedule..

Guess I've been lucky..

Yes, many people complain about the practice I mentioned on Lenovo Forum.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016

Guess I've been lucky..
Times have changed. Go and try order one now and see.

Also read the X1 extreme thread. I waited almost two months for my X1 e to arrive!

Reactions: hajime

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Times have changed. Go and try order one now and see.

Also read the X1 extreme thread. I waited almost two months for my X1 e to arrive!

Lenovo has always had somewhat of a wait so maybe I am just use to it.. I don't mind waiting a little for custom config. Do the pre config models have a long wait as well?

The X1 Yoga I ordered shipped a week ahead of schedule...

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
My X1C7 arrived this week! i5, 16GB RAM, UHD display, 256GD SSD.

Overall design impressions:

Super nice! Amazingly light, great display (greater pixel density than a retina MBP, and with Windows scaling at 250% it looks sharper than any display I have ever seen), incredible keyboard (seriously, this keyboard), and overall very solid. The carbon weave on the top case is kinda pointless - it is very subtle, from some angles you can't even see it, so it may as well be solid black. The whole unit is smaller, thinner, lighter than my 13" MBP with a larger display, more ports, and the best keyboard in the market today.

I have a Late 2013 15" MBP and looking for something smaller, i'm torn between going full Linux on the X1C7 or the 13" Macbook Pro with 16/i7/1tb ssd, i get 10% off both Apple and Lenovo through work.

Happy to work in either FreeBSD/Arch Linux or macOS.

Couple of questions around the X1C7, tried Linux yet? I can't use Windows, at all!
How is the Sound quality of the speakers? I do a lot of travel in hotels and watching films via the speakers is a use case for me. Are they even comparable to the mbp?

For me, where the mbp wins is around Sound + Trackpad + USB-C (I'm happy to go all in on USB-C), worries: trackpad and catalina sounds awful (move to zsh, security warnings etc). I mostly dev in vim, golang, c, c++ and run some VM's.
Where the X1C7 Wins, Keyboard, portability, flexibility (ability to upgrade ssd)

Queen6

macrumors G4
I sold my XR for an S10+ not long ago and had an X280 with a higher spec than my former MBP 13” 512GB TB last year, and I can tell you the MBP smoked the X280 despite the X280 having a better processor, double the RAM... I like Windows, but by no means does even a well configured PC smoke a MBP in the real world. Compare the start up times, durations of repetitive processor intensive tasks, general responsiveness and its clear where the MBP shines

Whatever works for you is best for you, but you’ll definitely be called out on statements of a TP demolishing a MBP, especially with no real evidence

As will you
3100CB (No Taskbar).jpg

You won't be finding any Apple notebook with a hex core CPU anywhere close to this level of performance, even the top end 9th Gen octa core i9 barely beats this base 8th Gen 2.2 GHz. So do us a favour and grow up, Mac's have their purpose, equally they are not the "be all and end all" If you didn't do your homework and made poor purchasing decisions that's on you.

If Apple was so superior I'd be responding on a Mac, given I rely on the systems for a living. Reason I'm on a PC now solely lies with Apple, leaving 20%-30% performance on the table simply doesn't cut it for an alleged professional tool. Upcoming 16" will either remedy or will be another Starbucks special to be ignored...

Q-6

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
As will you
View attachment 854715
You won't be finding any Apple notebook with a hex core CPU anywhere close to this level of performance, even the top end 9th Gen octa core i9 barely beats this base 8th Gen 2.2 GHz. So do us a favour and grow up, Mac's have their purpose, equally they are not the "be all and end all" If you didn't do your homework and made poor purchasing decisions that's on you.

If Apple was so superior I'd be responding on a Mac, given I rely on the systems for a living. Reason I'm on a PC now solely lies with Apple, leaving 20%-30% performance on the table simply doesn't cut it for an alleged professional tool. Upcoming 16" will either remedy or will be another Starbucks special to be ignored...

Q-6

The MBP would smoke that with it’s existing CPUs.

Queen6

macrumors G4
The MBP would smoke that with it’s existing CPUs.

In your dreams, the 9th Gen i9 MBP can barely surpass with two additional cores o_O as for the i7 hex core MBP, not even a contender :p
cr20-jpg.853719

2019 9th Gen base hex core, courtesy of Thysanoptera same as my notebook doesn't even pass 80C, zero roll back of CPU frequency. Apple threw in the towel years back regarding the MBP and performance preferring to appeal to the Starbucks crowd...

Q-6

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
In your dreams, the 9th Gen i9 MBP can barely surpass with two additional cores o_O as for the i7 hex core MBP, not even a contender :p
cr20-jpg.853719

2019 9th Gen base hex core, courtesy of Thysanoptera same as my notebook doesn't even pass 80C, zero roll back of CPU frequency. Apple threw in the towel years back regarding the MBP and performance preferring to appeal to the Starbucks crowd...

Q-6

Think you need to watch a few benchmark videos on YouTube mate, get a bit better informed ;-) thermal throttling was addressed. Amazing how this still applies...

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I think Lenovo strapped my X1 Yoga on the back of a turtle as 10+ days to get to me... Still says delivery today but not showing as out for delivery yet.

I'll post up some benchmarks and SSD tests after I get my grubby paws on it.. My comments that it will demolish a MBP was based on specs and what you get pricing wise.. As a note: I have no problems whatsoever with Win10...

I paid $1900 for my loaded X1 Yoga with i7 / 16 / 1TB. My i5 / 16 / 512 MBP with TB was $2200.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
[MOD NOTE]
Enough with the bickering.

Your the Mod do as you please; My post clearly illustrated that even the i9 MBP struggles to match the base i7 8th & 9th Gen base CPU, it's not bickering it's factual, if I'm wrong prove me different...

Alternatives forum after all; please reinstate the post or prove that it's non factual, I can backup the numbers as I and other members of the forum own the hardware...

I'm waiting, you made the call, I don't agree. Show me a hex core MBP with + 3K in Cinebench R20. MBP has it's place, however the W10 notebooks significantly exceed and you know that as a fact...

Q-6

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Your the Mod do as you please; My post illustrated that even the i9 MBP struggles to match the base i7 8th & 9th Gen base CPU, it's not bickering it's factual, if I'm wrong show me different...

Alternatives forum and all...

Q-6

And my point was MBP smokes it ;-)

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
My post illustrated that even the i9 MBP struggles to match the base i7 8th & 9th Gen base CPU, it's not bickering it's factual, if I'm wrong show me different...

It's a mac forum so there are always going to be those who defend Apple to no end even in the 'Alternative' section..

Bang for the buck is not even close. The X1 wins hands down, no questions asked. I also believe the X1 Yoga I have on the way will demolish the higher priced, and lower spec'd TB MBP that I had, and sold a few days ago. I don't really think those are debatable.

Next is the macOS -v- Win10 debate. macOS wins in some areas and win10 wins in others. Either way I got my X1 Yoga loaded for about $300 less than a lessor configured TB MBP.

Before I even get the Yoga I'll make a few predictions:

X1 Yoga will easily win keyboard, screen, SSD size, CPU and price
A draw will be build quality and sound
The MBP will probably win SSD speed and trackpad. I aslo assume since I have the 4K screen the MBP will win on battery life. I also would give a slight edge to macOS just because I prefer it over win10. I don't think macOS is better, I just slightly prefer it..

Queen6

macrumors G4
And my point was MBP smokes it ;-)

Just no, or prove different with hex core MBP, no baiting or bickering - Cinebench R20 base 9th Gen CPU. Personally I no longer care as Apple has effectively removed itself being a provider of hardware we deem remotely acceptable...

Facebook being the more operative term, big numbers, poor delivery. Step up or step out simple as that...

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Just no, or prove different with hex core MBP...

Q-6

For the sake of fairness, my statement about it demolishing the MBP that I had was based on price, size and specs. I had the 13" mid 2018 with i5 / 16 / 512. It was priced at $2200. If I added a 1TB drive to my MBP config, it's a $2400 machine.

So I'd like to see that config, price point and size beat my maxed out i7 / 16 / 1TB X1 Yoga that I paid $1900 for.

If we are going to use a $3,000 15" MBP to compare to a $1900 X1 Yoga then sure I'd expect the MBP to win...

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
It's arrived, the turtle they strapped it to made it!! Way to go UPS! 10 days from NC ---> WA.

I'll post up some tests and photos in a few days

1st thought, love the new color on it and it's built solid, rock solid. The build is as expected for an X1 though.

I might make a new thread on it since this is about the X1C 7th gen and mine is the X1 Yoga 4th gen.

Reactions: kazmac and Queen6

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Just no, or prove different with hex core MBP, no baiting or bickering - Cinebench R20 base 9th Gen CPU. Personally I no longer care as Apple has effectively removed itself being a provider of hardware we deem remotely acceptable...

Facebook being the more operative term, big numbers, poor delivery. Step up or step out simple as that...

Q-6

Hey, you’re entitled to your opinion! ;-)

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Where do you all go to try Lenovo ThinkPads? I see a few in stores, but rarely X1 Carbons or X1 Yogas, and never with the different screen options side-by-side. Is there a good place to try them, or do we simply have to place an order and hope we like what we end up with?

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Where do you all go to try Lenovo ThinkPads? I see a few in stores, but rarely X1 Carbons or X1 Yogas, and never with the different screen options side-by-side. Is there a good place to try them, or do we simply have to place an order and hope we like what we end up with?

Pretty much order from their site. With ThinkPads if you’ve tried one, you’ve tried them all. Same quality of build, keyboard etc. In the windows world a FHD screen is a FHD screen. It’s all arbitrary specs from there on in as with most PCs. Luckily that’s where the PC buyer feels their money is best spent, the spec sheet - bragging rights on paper! Lol as you’ve see here

Queen6

macrumors G4
Hey, you’re entitled to your opinion! ;-)

As are you :p Apple needs to up it's game and it knows it, as the current FarceBook simply doesn't cut it.
MBP was the best solution I'd be on one simple as that...

My systems pay for themselves on a daily basis, Apple want's to be back in the rotation it needs to get it's act together for the professional user, simple as that...

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.