Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Did you noticed lens flare problems when shooting photos or videos?
It seems peoples are complaining everywhere about this situation. Even in night time they are present.

Reactions: redbeard331

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Just because you notice something you don’t like doesn’t mean it’s a “gate”. Hard to take any post serious when the word gate is used. Also just because you may have a legit problem...one person having a problem doesn’t make that problem a gate. Jesus.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Just because you notice something you don’t like doesn’t mean it’s a “gate”. Hard to take any post serious when the word gate is used. Also just because you may have a legit problem...one person having a problem doesn’t make that problem a gate. Jesus.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I wish every thread with the word gate was automatically closed by the forum's software. Lol

OP - "gate" implies scandal.

GetSwole37

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Just because you don’t care about flare or are to oblivious to flare doesn’t mean you need to discredit someone who is questioning it. I noticed it on a YouTube video that was showing the iPhone.

1:45 and 3:05 really show how bad it is

This issue actually started on the iPhone XR only. It seems that the lens didnt have enough space and you could see the reflection of lights if you really looked on some night pictures and videos.
Now, flare happens when the light hits the lens at an angle so maybe some people aren’t really aware but I can’t help wonder if the lens setup for the iPhone isn’t optimized for this.

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
It seems peoples are complaining everywhere about this situation. Even in night time they are present.

Where are these people complaining everywhere about the issue?

Even the video in GetSwole's post didn't sound like the person filming was bothered by it.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
i really can’t see anything unusual at 1:45 in the video. If you’re talking about the shape of the lights at 3:05, that’s not lens flare, that’s edge distortion from a 13mm equivalent focal length. You’ll get that with all extremely wide lenses. Someday you might see it corrected in software, but things like that, and lens flare - which I didn’t see at all - can be used creatively.

All phone cameras are under immense design constraints, and in general all of the high end phones regardless of brand are doing really, really, well.

I’m looking forward to what the upcoming ‘deep fusion’ update will do, the 11 Pro camera and night mode are v1.0 releases, they’re only going to get better. Maybe a lot better.

Reactions: psac

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I have seen lens flare with the 11 Pro, when I shoot into the sun, but otherwise I haven't seen lens flare. Like all camera's the wider the lens, the more susceptible we are to lens flare. Expensive camera lenses have anti-reflective coating, which cuts down on flare, but I don't think cell phone cameras use this.

Like Azathoth123 said, if you are lucky or creative it can be used as an advantage. I got lucky with this shot a couple fo nights ago.
IMG_3419.jpg

Last edited:

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
We all know lens flare is something normal for certain angles. I was referring that the iPhone has lens flare issues when comparing to another phone.
Example:

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I will take the trade off of having possible lens flare issues in certain situations vs. having the best camera on a phone.

"I’ve spent the past week reviewing the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro. I think Apple finally beat the Pixel camera - the iPhone 11 Pro camera is the best I’ve seen on a phone, and I saw a huge increase in battery life."

Reactions: vito

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
I will take the trade off of having possible lens flare issues in certain situations vs. having the best camera on a phone.

"I’ve spent the past week reviewing the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro. I think Apple finally beat the Pixel camera - the iPhone 11 Pro camera is the best I’ve seen on a phone, and I saw a huge increase in battery life."
Now thats your opinion, IMO best cameras on a phone have the LG V50. Both photos and videos. Also more versatile camera software.
Did I mention that iPhones Pro are using LG Innotek made camera sensors?
[automerge]1569562441[/automerge]
But that doesn't justify if there are possible problems in the lens construction...

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Now thats your opinion, IMO best cameras on a phone have the LG V50. Both photos and videos. Also more versatile camera software.

Lol, that wasn't my opinion, that was actually a very respected reviewer who most iPhone fans don't like, because he has been so brutal on iPhones in the past. Now you are inserting your opinion, which is fine, I've always heard the LG V50 had a good camera, but have also heard besides that it sucks. Zero support, updates, bootloading, etc. But to be fair I have never used it, glad you like it.

But you could at least be honest, all you do is start threads being negative about the iPhone. All phones have positives and negatives, I use a lot of them, have a Note 10+, iPhone 11 Max, Pixel XL. I don't start threads constantly like you do trying to bash a product I don't own, I participate in threads in products I do own. I have no issue with you, but it gets old every time you create a thread for some obscure issue on a phone that you don't own. All phones have issues, yours probably more than most, but there aren't enough people that own it to have a forum about it. Just be better about how you go about it. Just my opinion.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Lol, that wasn't my opinion, that was actually a very respected reviewer who most iPhone fans don't like, because he has been so brutal on iPhones in the past. Now you are inserting your opinion, which is fine, I've always heard the LG V50 had a good camera, but have also heard besides that it sucks. Zero support, updates, bootloading, etc. But to be fair I have never used it, glad you like it.

But you could at least be honest, all you do is start threads being negative about the iPhone. All phones have positives and negatives, I use a lot of them, have a Note 10+, iPhone 11 Max, Pixel XL. I don't start threads constantly like you do trying to bash a product I don't own, I participate in threads in products I do own. I have no issue with you, but it gets old every time you create a thread for some obscure issue on a phone that you don't own. All phones have issues, yours probably more than most, but there aren't enough people that own it to have a forum about it. Just be better about how you go about it. Just my opinion.
I'm just trying to see all aspects of the new phones. I'm considering buying 11 Pro when Christmas deals arrive. I have a 12 year's old nephew and thinking to surprise him. It may be the fact that where I live they don't have the new 11s in the shelves. As soon as they have it, I'll take a look at it. Until then, this forum is my only source place.
Anyway, there are at least 1000 new threads since the 11 launched, but time will wash away threads like this.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I'm just trying to see all aspects of the new phones. I'm considering buying 11 Pro when Christmas deals arrive. I have a 12 year's old nephew and thinking to surprise him. It may be the fact that where I live they don't have the new 11s in the shelves. As soon as they have it, I'll take a look at it. Until then, this forum is my only source place.
Anyway, there are at least 1000 new threads since the 11 launched, but time will wash away threads like this.

Fair enough, I can pull up all your threads, but don't have the time too now. Most regulars on here are aware by now, but so many don't. But I will believe you and leave you alone for now, I hope you buy your nephew whatever phone you think is the best for him. You are a good uncle, despite your hate for anything iPhone.

Reactions: vito

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
If you get your 12 year old nephew an 11 pro for Christmas...I guarantee he isn’t gonna complain about lens flare. :)

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
If you get your 12 year old nephew an 11 pro for Christmas...I guarantee he isn’t gonna complain about lens flare. :)
He's an olympian in mathematics. Last year we bought him an Lenovo Legion Gaming laptop. What's wrong with buying him an iphone this year? Also his birthday is in december.
[automerge]1569577091[/automerge]
Someone needs to learn about optics and nature of light.
When you have 2 glass lenses next to each other, one that produces flare, the other desn't, what's to learn about optics and nature of light?

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
He's an olympian in mathematics. Last year we bought him an Lenovo Legion Gaming laptop. What's wrong with buying him an iphone this year? Also his birthday is in december.
Where exactly did I say you shouldn’t buy him an iPhone?

Also...what does it matter that he’s an ”olympian in mathematics”?

I’m not judging how you spend your money...just pointing out that he ain’t gonna complain about lens flare if you buy him an iPhone 11 pro.

My eldest got his iPhone for his 11th birthday, and my youngest will be getting one when he turns 11.

Reactions: Costino1

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
[automerge]1569562441[/automerge]
But that doesn't justify if there are possible problems in the lens construction...

These people disagree with you about the camera, they call ir ‘ordinary’. Sharpness is ‘hit or miss’. And it’s a $1,000+ phone with Google slurping your data.

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008

It's been a thing since I got my iPhone 7 and with optics these days almost all the smartphones can't run away from that without a lens hood.

Reactions: Azathoth123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.