Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

libdom

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
County Durham, UK
I’ve been watching Leo Laporte’s weekly ’Netcast’ MacBreak Weekly recently. He often refers to Apple not liking him or some sort of fall out, but never elaborates on it. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this incident (or incidents?) was and why/how Apple and Laporte’s relationship soured. Does it have anything to do with him using Netcasts instead of Podcasts?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
It had to do with Steve Jobs and Leo suggesting Steve is not doing anything to save Apple and the obscure designer Named Jonny Ive! Steve never forgave him for that and that created bad blood!

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I remember Leo from the TechTV and the G4TV(i think) days. That was 10-20 years ago!

From what i remember, i think he was probably the only host who was an Apple fan on those networks.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I remember Leo from the TechTV and the G4TV(i think) days. That was 10-20 years ago!

From what i remember, i think he was probably the only host who was an Apple fan on those networks.
Now he hosts a Mac show using a Microsoft Surface Studio or Lenovo notebook and splits his time between iOS and Android.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It had to do with Steve Jobs and Leo suggesting Steve is not doing anything to save Apple and the obscure designer Named Jonny Ive! Steve never forgave him for that and that created bad blood!

It is ? Whenever it comes up, i always flash back to the part of 'Apple banning him from going to events' or something, He always says he is never invited and at once stage he was banned?? Still is ??

So, i relate this to that. I don't think it has anything to do with someone not forgave anybody...

- Leo somehow ticked of Apple..
- Apple banned him from events
- Moving on....

Can't blame Leo for having his thoughts and 'free' through, not what Apple wants him to say..

I would have done the same.. That doesn't mean it's true, but is that what Apple really does to people? If they don't like what's been said if your a public figure, they will snuff you out?

All i gotta say is: "i'm sure glad i'm not in the spotlight right now'

Last edited:

FLappleGuy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Orlando, FL
I'm pretty sure he's on the blacklist due to him live streaming an apple event using his MacBook from in the audience. This was back before Apple live-streamed the events themselves, and he was removed mid-show.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
He’s also a convenient Apple fanboy, when it suits his agenda. He’s a big Android fan and often plays the Apple heel during his podcast. He’s become like former Apple critic, and show regular John Dvorak. I don’t have an issue with this, but perhaps Apple prefers to invite more loyal users like Rene Ritchie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.