Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dstopsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hi there, I'm new to macrumors but I've been on some other mac forums for a while now. I just updated my website and wanted to know what you all thought (suggestions and comments are more than welcomed).

www.dstopsky.com

I also have a question regarding site design. I'd like to reference a file on all my pages so that when I update the navigation menu, relating links, etc. all of my pages will display the update. I'm not familiar with doing include files, but I've been trying to and it's not working (or maybe I'm doing it wrong). Any suggestions or other ideas?

Thanks a lot.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
If you have dreamweaver, you can try using their library functions. It allows you linked any tables, texts, layers to a library item so when you update that library item, every page that uses that item gets updated. Same goes for their template.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Not much to say about the design, it's a Dreamweaver template right? It works well enough.

Just a thought but you might be better running your site off a blogging platform, like WordPress. It would probably make things a lot easier for you, especially when it comes to updating your content.

dstopsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
angelneo said:
If you have dreamweaver, you can try using their library functions. It allows you linked any tables, texts, layers to a library item so when you update that library item, every page that uses that item gets updated. Same goes for their template.
I thought about doing that, but using libraries would require me to upload all pages affected every time I update the library functions, correct? If that's the case I was hoping for something less time intensive, due to there being many pages. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
If it's not a Dreamweaver template (which I'm 99% sure it is) then it is simply a Macromedia.com rip-off (in terms of design).
Still, nicely done :)

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
dstopsky said:
I thought about doing that, but using libraries would require me to upload all pages affected every time I update the library functions, correct? If that's the case I was hoping for something less time intensive, due to there being many pages. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Not sure if I am going too far. If your web server supports php, as most do, try including this.
Code:
<?php require_once('menu.html'); ?>
where menu.html is the file which your menu is located.

If you are unfamiliar with php or programming, start off with a blank page to test it out. Then proceed to put that code in different parts of the page to see how it comes out.

dstopsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
angelneo said:
Not sure if I am going too far. If your web server supports php, as most do, try including this.
Code:
<?php require_once('menu.html'); ?>
where menu.html is the file which your menu is located.

If you are unfamiliar with php or programming, start off with a blank page to test it out. Then proceed to put that code in different parts of the page to see how it comes out.

Yes, my server supports php, but I tried a include file instead of require_once. I'll try that and see how it works. Thanks for the help.

dstopsky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Will Cheyney said:
If it's not a Dreamweaver template (which I'm 99% sure it is) then it is simply a Macromedia.com rip-off (in terms of design).
Still, nicely done :)
Yes, you are right, it is a dreamweaver template. I'm working right now on a new layout but I wanted to get the site up and running again so I took the quick and easy route in the meantime. Either way, I think macromedia's design is a great starter.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Clean design, would be even better if it wasn't a template. Not that there's anything wrong with those. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.