Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
http://www.lg.com/us/desktops-laptops/lg-gram-14Z950-A.AA4GU1-ultra-slim-laptop

I would have never noticed this, but I saw it on a banner ad while looking at Macrumors. Carbon Magnesium & Lithium Magnesium construction, 14" screen, about the same thickness as the MacBook, Core i5 or i7 processors, HDMI, 2 USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, SD card slot, headphone, dedicated power port and it weighs 2.16 lbs vs. 2.03 lbs. for the MacBook which has a smaller screen.

I just thought this comparison proves that the MacBook could be so much more.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
So many of those features would be impossible with the MacBook form factor and the purpose Apple has for it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Tbh, it looks really nice, other then the screen. Perhaps Apple could have done something similar if they rolled out a 14" MacBook instead of a 12" The only major disapointing feature is the screen and omg, that bezel, its huge. I can't see myself getting one of these.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Agreed, windows 10 is a solid product, I'm rocking on it right now with my SP3.

I understand fully why products like Vista gave Microsoft a bum rap, and hey, 63% of the computers on the planet are currently running Windows XP (2001) and Windows 7 (2009) which have their issues, but Windows 10 is rock-solid and has some really nice and new UI features, I especially like the Action Center with it's one-click access to the most commonly used OS tweaks (brightness, wi-fi, Bluetooth, airplane mode, battery settings, etc.) and it's overall speed. Would be nice if people would do the research or get some hands-on experience before whipping out the BSOD cliche's.

The OS wars are over anyway. Microsoft won the desktop (96% market share) and Apple won mobile (43% market share) everyone should be happy now. Almost everyone I know has a Windows notebook, an iPhone, and an iPad. It's win-win for all of us. Heck, I wouldn't even own a MacBook if it didn't run Windows, you'd be surprised how many people are making that jump every year.

BJ

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
competition is good and this lg appears to be very competitive. in the long run it will help us mac users.

Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
competition is good and this lg appears to be very competitive. in the long run it will help us mac users.
Agreed, but it would have been a better competitor if they upgraded the screen

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Another thing that would give me pause, with this specific product, is that it's an LG.

My LG dishwasher with a 5yr extended warranty has literally been repaired 6 times. Actually, each of these repairs (circuit board twice, pump once, entire lower dumb assembly once, etc.) took a couple attempts, so I've had repairman in my house about 20 times. It's also been inoperable about 30% of the four or so years I've owned it. Sadly, the frequency of repairs just misses the Lemon law (3 incidents in one calendar year). But I'll never buy another LG whatever.

I also have an LG washer & dryer that are now out of warranty. One of them breaks down once or twice a year, meaning I have to fix them myself. It's gotten so bad that I've resorted to buying 2x parts, whenever I replace something. Already had to repair the rubber gasket between the drum and door twice ($50ea for parts). This, after it floods everything mourned it.

Then there's the cheapo LG 24" flat panel I bought, died in about 18 months.

I had a Bosch dishwasher that ran for 10yrs without a hiccup, and my 6-7yo Samsung Fridge performs like the day I got it. yet everything LG I've ever bought breaks repeatedly.

I'll never ever buy another LG.

Last edited:

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Agreed, windows 10 is a solid product, I'm rocking on it right now with my SP3.

I'm waiting a while before using it on any of my daily drivers, which is unfortunate because it looks great. Windows 10 (update and clean install) broke the trackpad and keyboard on my wife's less than two year old, officially Win 10 supported laptop, which made me a little leary to give it a try now.

RUGGLES99

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2015
I'm running Windows 10 on my MacBook and it's terrific. You may want to consider using the products you are commenting on before doing so.

BJ
I have no interest in using windows like you. I said the specs looked interesting. I dont have to use it to comment on Mr. Trophy wife,

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I have no interest in using windows like you. I said the specs looked interesting. I dont have to use it to comment on Mr. Trophy wife,
http://www.lg.com/us/desktops-laptops/lg-gram-14Z950-A.AA4GU1-ultra-slim-laptop

I would have never noticed this, but I saw it on a banner ad while looking at Macrumors. Carbon Magnesium & Lithium Magnesium construction, 14" screen, about the same thickness as the MacBook, Core i5 or i7 processors, HDMI, 2 USB 3.0 ports, Ethernet, SD card slot, headphone, dedicated power port and it weighs 2.16 lbs vs. 2.03 lbs. for the MacBook which has a smaller screen.

I just thought this comparison proves that the MacBook could be so much more.

TheVerge review is very bad: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/14/9529635/lg-laptop-price-specs-lg-gram-review

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

No, you said the OS (Windows 10) was unimpressive which is a strange comment considering you haven't used it.

Be advised that quite a few of us run Windows 10 on our MacBooks in this forum and the 1995 era anti-Microsoft rhetoric isn't universally appreciated.

BJ

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm waiting a while before using it on any of my daily drivers
Its on my SP3 which is my daily driver and I've been very happy. I loaded a couple of utilities that help enhance my experience, I bought object desktop from stardock which includes fences a really nice utility to clean up the desktop and start10 which brings back the start menu that I like

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
It's kind of fun to revisit this topic some four years later. I just ordered a 14-inch LG Gram (14Z980) which I bought on Black Friday for a ridiculous low price. It was actually 2.5x cheaper than the base MacBook Air, so I could not resist and added another laptop to my collection.

The laptop has not yet arrived, but it has a more powerful processor and a larger battery than the MacBook Air, but it is still lighter.

I've tested one in a store and it looks nice. It certainly does not look or feel as premium and well-built as a MacBook Air, but it has its charms. It sports a 72 WHr battery (compared to Air's 50 WHr) and a quad-core 15W processor (compared to Air's dual-core 7W). So it has its advantages.

I suppose Apple could make lighter laptops, but it insists in using aluminum. The laptop feels more premium, but it is certainly heavier than other materiais.

Anyway, four years later, and these two laptops are finer and better than they were. I have an Air and it gets the job done, although I feel it lacks some power. Let's see if the Gram can hold its own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.