Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I've been a bit disappointed to not see the 27" Ultrafine 5K on-sale (so far) at any authorized resellers, with the exception of $100 off at Micro Center. There's an eBay seller selling them for $995 without sales tax (supposedly brand new), but I'd rather buy from an authorized reseller so that LG will provide warranty support.

Anyone have any experience on whether it's likely to go on-sale? Perhaps for Cyber Monday? TIA.

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
+1

This is relevant to my interests as well.

Edit:
I saw one for sale on BestBuy. I'm not sure if it's the newer (better) model with fixed issues. A possible workaround is getting gift cards to said reseller on sale on Black Friday.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
+1

This is relevant to my interests as well.

Edit:
I saw one for sale on BestBuy. I'm not sure if it's the newer (better) model with fixed issues. A possible workaround is getting gift cards to said reseller on sale on Black Friday.

Could you link to the one you see on-sale at Best Buy? I checked and it doesn't appear to be on-sale to me:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ultrafine-27-ips-lcd-5k-uhd-monitor/6362421.p?skuId=6362421

I do know that BB has a price match guarantee. I wonder if they might price match against the $995 Ebay seller? ? I'm sure they probably shouldn't by policy, but I've heard of people getting crazy price match deals in-store, depending on the associate that helps you.

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
I think the latest one is too new... usually black friday sales aren't the most recent products. It's also a niche product, there aren't too many 5k screens out there and there isn't one with this contrast, full DCI-P3 and brightness. Black friday sales are usually main stream products which can be produced in large quantities.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I think the latest one is too new... usually black friday sales aren't the most recent products. It's also a niche product, there aren't too many 5k screens out there and there isn't one with this contrast, full DCI-P3 and brightness. Black friday sales are usually main stream products which can be produced in large quantities.

True. However, some places do a broad sale, and some manufacturers may choose to put an entire category of products on-sale, so was hoping for perhaps LG to put all their monitors on-sale or something like that...

I haven't checked all the major authorized resellers which sell the Ultrafine 5K yet, but if none of them are offering a discount I will wait for Cyber Monday to see if anything changes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.