Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
I also have problems with that. And according to reports online we are by far not alone. By the way, it happens everywhere on the screen in my case but luckily I don't notice it too often (it depends on the background). If the background is e. g. grey it's very noticeable :( And sometimes it's enough if a static element is on screen for like 1 minute or even less...

Edit: Might it be that in fact you also have screen burn in problems potentially everywhere on the screen and you only notice it on the borders because there's much more static content there compared to the middle of the screen when you e. g. browse the web (the top of the screen with the URL bar etc. stays pretty much static all the time whereas the website contents in the middle of the screen change all the time due to scrolling etc.)?

I'll periodically check and report if I experience the same but I hope not. In comparison to the whole which were sold, then I would say it can't be "common". However, I'm sure it's enough that a person can find other examples posted here and other websites which can lead to a belief that it's widespread. At times, I'm even a creature of bad habit to not post many positive reviews for products that I was completely satisfied about. It would probably be helpful, if you could give some background on the display in order to determine any patterns from reported use. This would help many others. Also, there are programs which can help for stuck pixels and I don't know if this would help to use on this type of panel. Such as, firmware version, model, manufacturer's date, general use, brightness level you use it at, approximate length of time the display is awake in between sleep, etc. My display may be used no more than 1-2 hours in between sleep, default color calibration, brightness level approximately 65-70%, 3.04 firmware, manufactured April '17, production model 27MD5KA-BJ.AUSLNSN, energy savings settings are defaults (display turns off after 10 minute of inactivity), default resolution and refresh. Also, I'm not providing PD to my MBP from the display since it's connected through an eGPU which provides power. Therefore power draw is minimum for the display only but this shouldn't affect the monitor with image retention. Just with power consumption correlating to increased heat energy.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Do you guys recommened buying this 5k display for a 2018 Macbook Pro with the 560x? Seems it has alot of issues based on this thread.

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
Do you guys recommened buying this 5k display for a 2018 Macbook Pro with the 560x? Seems it has alot of issues based on this thread.

Other than the abysmal LG customer support, after I acquired the 3.04 firmware for the bug fix with sound and faster wake up from sleep, then it's been great. However, this is only after approximately a week of use and so I don't have an opinion based upon more experience than this. I still believe that LG should have had the ambient light sensor enabled by now which is still advertised as this monitor having this function available. Even with it enabled, then I would probably still use it in my current configuration as manually adjusted brightness. But, that's not the point since they list it as available. I'm not sure how this has allowed them to not observe or be required to accept a return of this device because of this false advertisement. So, your experience will probably depend upon how long you own it and it's use. Will you use it consistently each day at full brightness without the display sleeping periodically throughout the day with static images on the screen? If so, then you may have image retention. My experience with image retention is little to none but I've observed or received reports from end users who've complained and come to find out they don't ever allow the display to sleep, full brightness with custom color calibration, and have static images which is common to most desktops and hence why the display needs to sleep when you're not using it. It's quite common that you're not going to sit in front of the monitor for a full 8+ hours daily using the PC non-stop without breaks of any sorts. Those that say they do are either liars or robots. Hmm...maybe both.

lim1nal

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2018
2018 15" 2.6 560X
macOS Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54)

Recently purchased the LG 5k and it only works when the external power adapter is connected. When connecting the LG cable, the laptop chimes and power status shows as charging, but no graphics are output to the display. Connecting the 85W Apple adapter in addition to the LG cable makes it work as expected.

I took my 2018 MBP and provided LG cable to the Apple store and was able to reproduce the behavior with the in-store units.

Reading above, maybe this isn't a widespread issue with the 560X?

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
2018 15" 2.6 560X
macOS Mojave 10.14.2 (18C54)

Recently purchased the LG 5k and it only works when the external power adapter is connected. When connecting the LG cable, the laptop chimes and power status shows as charging, but no graphics are output to the display. Connecting the 85W Apple adapter in addition to the LG cable makes it work as expected.

I took my 2018 MBP and provided LG cable to the Apple store and was able to reproduce the behavior with the in-store units.

Reading above, maybe this isn't a widespread issue with the 560X?
Bad TB3 cable seems the likeliest. Following that, could be a duff MBP logic board or duff LG 5K.

Let us know what happens, as it's useful for others. ;-)

Reactions: craig1410

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
I have my Time Machine backup disk (2TB WD Elements) connected through the display USB hub, and I'm getting extreeeemely slow backups. The current one is 302.5MB and has been 'backing up' for a few hours. Anyone else experience this, or have any ideas?

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Could
I have my Time Machine backup disk (2TB WD Elements) connected through the display USB hub, and I'm getting extreeeemely slow backups. The current one is 302.5MB and has been 'backing up' for a few hours. Anyone else experience this, or have any ideas?
Likely a TM problem, as it's notoriously fickle.
TBH, Apple needs to badly overhaul backup, as with the volumes of data we're handling in the TB's it can't handle it.

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Could

Likely a TM problem, as it's notoriously fickle.
TBH, Apple needs to badly overhaul backup, as with the volumes of data we're handling in the TB's it can't handle it.

While I mostly agree with the sentiment here, I don't think this issue is a TM problem. If I plug the drive directly into the computer, backups take a minute or less.

In watching it a little more closely, it's not necessarily that it's writing the whole backup slowly (although is is partially true), the main problem is that it reaches a certain point and stops for an extended period of time. For example, the current backup is 129.5MB. It got to 88.9MB complete in a few seconds, and has now been stuck at 88.9 for at least an hour.

Last edited:

lim1nal

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2018
Bad TB3 cable seems the likeliest. Following that, could be a duff MBP logic board or duff LG 5K.

Let us know what happens, as it's useful for others. ;-)

Following-up on this, I was able to test with a different LG cable and that solved the connectivity issue. Relieved to find it isn't a limitation of the 2018 MBP. Oddly enough, the 13" was able to drive the LG 5k with the bad cable; only the 15" models in-store were sensitive to the cable.

Reactions: jimthing

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
While I mostly agree with the sentiment here, I don't think this issue is a TM problem. If I plug the drive directly into the computer, backups take a minute or less.

In watching it a little more closely, it's not necessarily that it's writing the whole backup slowly (although is is partially true), the main problem is that it reaches a certain point and stops for an extended period of time. For example, the current backup is 129.5MB. It got to 88.9MB complete in a few seconds, and has now been stuck at 88.9 for at least an hour.
Wireless is very different to wired for TM.

dachshundx

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2016
I have two external SSD backup drives connected to the LG UltraFine 5K monitor, and when I eject them and put my 2018 13" MacBook Pro to sleep and disconnect the MBP from the LG monitor, both backup drives make a fan-like hum, and continue to make the fan-like sound until the MBP is connected again to the monitor. Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here? Thanks!

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Either there is a supply issue with LG or they are discontinuing the UltraFine 5K.
Has not been available from Apple store for some time now.
Anyone know of any upcoming replacements? Apple displays perhaps?

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Either there is a supply issue with LG or they are discontinuing the UltraFine 5K.
It’s still available here in the UK for delivery by Monday.

WillO95

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2014

They were out of stock europewide for a fel weeks, but now they are back in stock everywhere, this is the second time it’s happened. I presume they just have a small stock that comes from LG every few weeks. I had hoped that there was going to be a replacement, but no luck I think.

jkundi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
The 5K UF is in stock across UK, I purchased one two days ago and received my delivery today.

So far so good, don't want to jinx it.

It came with Firmware: 3.06

Edit: Where on LG's website can you find the change log of firmware updates.

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
I Have not looked at this thread for a long time and my firmware says 3.04 firmware is that the up to date one.

Mine have been great for a year now. loving both of them.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Any sources for 3.06?
The app is garbage at detecting new updates and most are on 3.04.

jkundi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the following:

3.06,1.13, 5237,3.04,0.1e

Is the first three digits not the firmware version?

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the following:

3.06,1.13, 5237,3.04,0.1e

Is the first three digits not the firmware version?

that is right, here is mine - Screenshot 2019-01-13 at 21.26.00.png

now how to get the 3.06

Reactions: Weaselboy

jkundi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
Yes... that would appear to be the case.

Here is mine on 3.04.

Edit: Ninja'd by @scott_donald :)

View attachment 815609

This kinda makes me want to return the monitor and perhaps wait for ‘An Apple Display’. I was unaware there was so much inconsistency with Firmware updates and LG’s customer service. Hmm.

I have been searching on Google etc to no avail. I however came across this thread on Apple Support forum. Look at the last post of confirmed Firmware version. Not sure what to believe.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7766302?page=4

Edit: Sorry that thread is on about the 4K screen.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This kinda makes me want to return the monitor and perhaps wait for ‘An Apple Display’.
I'm curious to see what Apple comes out with also, but for the time being, even with its flaws, I don't think there is a better 5K option that includes built in speakers and a "webcam", plus can be controlled natively by the mac keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.