Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I'm curious to see what Apple comes out with also, but for the time being, even with its flaws, I don't think there is a better 5K option that includes built in speakers and a "webcam", plus can be controlled natively by the mac keyboard.
Me too, my two 5K UF's have been working perfectly well daily, but Apple ones would be interesting, provided they include built-in full adjustments (height, pivot, tilt) and can use vesa adaptors to mount.

Shame absolutely no new 5K3K displays were announced at CES last week... only those couple of 5K UltraWide's (that only have 4K 2160 pixel height and low ppi).

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5K_resolution#Monitors

Ignore all the other 5K3K's on that list, as they're either out of production (the Dell, HP, Philips), or much crappier (Iiyama, Planar), than the LG UltraFine.

Reactions: Weaselboy

jkundi

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2014
Is anyone using the split screen option for the monitor using the LG app? I don't seem to have this option with the LG app. Is it an addon?

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the following:

3.06,1.13, 5237,3.04,0.1e

Is the first three digits not the firmware version?
I'm fairly certain that the first digits in the set of comma separated numbers is the software package version for the included firmware of the devices. So, 3.06 is the software package version for the Display Camera 1.13, USB 3.1 Hub 52.37, USB Controls 3.04, and USB Audio 0.1e. Since your 3.06 software package version is the only difference from the 3.04,1.13,5237,3.04,0.1e, then it's possible it may be the same firmware for the display devices but 3.06 is specific to regions with 220VAC instead of 120VAC.

Update: The software package version 3.06 may not apply to only 220V regions because it was mentioned in a review by a Japanese blogger which this country uses 100V. So, this update could apply to those with 3.04. However, the problem with the app is it's attempting to access a broken or closed URL. But, the app developers programmed in a return function to always inform the end user that their firmware for the display is up to date, even if it fails. In my opinion, the app is only good to use for manual firmware update, if you have the software package, and factory resetting the display.

@jkundi What is your LG firmware version and revision for the display? You can check by accessing System Profiler. Select the 'Apple Logo > About This Mac'. After this, then choose System Report. Under the 'Hardware > Thunderbolt' menu choose your LG 5K Display. Within the menu for the device you should see "Firmware Version". Mine is currently showing firmware version "9.4" and revision "1" for the 3.04 firmware package.

Last edited:

Barrowdp

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2019
Have you found a resolution?

I'm having such a strange issue that just started happening... When I plug in my LG Ultrafine to my Touchbar MBP (all USB C ports), I get an error notification that says "Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory: Connect accessory to a Thunderbolt port on this Mac." Everything used to work fine, I never dropped the monitor or anything like that. I sent the monitor into LG, they took so long (over a month) to fix it, and finally, I just got it back today. I plugged it in, and the same exact issue happened!! I tried two different cables, every port on my Mac, everything. I don't understand what could be causing this issue. Anyone else dealt with this?

Reactions: jimthing

djon41

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Wireless is very different to wired for TM.

What do you mean ‘wireless’? I’m not doing anything wirelessly in this situation.

I have my TM drive plugged into the LG5K display, and the display plugged into my MBP. Small backups of a few dozen MBs take hours, but if I plug the drive directly into the computer, bypassing the display USB hub, they take a few seconds.

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Every so often I connect to the LG and the display is grainy/fuzzy. The laptop thinks that there are 2 displays connected. I have 3 LG Ultrafine profiles listed in the Color tab. A quick disconnect/reconnect solves the issue. Is this normal? Thanks!

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Quick question for you UF owners. Anyone running dual monitors (read: 2x UF) know how to lower the brightness on the second screen? I can’t find a solution anywhere, and you’d think this was something that is relatively common to want to do.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Quick question for you UF owners. Anyone running dual monitors (read: 2x UF) know how to lower the brightness on the second screen? I can’t find a solution anywhere, and you’d think this was something that is relatively common to want to do.
I remember @WildCowboy was running two on a 15" MBP and I think he ran across this, but I don't remember the answer. Hopefully he'll see my mention here and pop in to help you.

Reactions: csurfr

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
The Touchbar shows 3 slider for me.
You know, now that you mention it, I remember mine did as well a while back, but has stopped for some reason.

Edit: Strange. . . I plugged the one screen that won't show brightness in by itself and it *still* doesn't show a brightness slider. . . Weird.
[doublepost=1550594481][/doublepost]Figured it out. . . The cable is bad. . . no brightness adjustment or sound through it. I swapped from the other screen and everything works perfectly. LG wants $100.00 for that cable. Luckily I have an extra Thunderbolt 3 cable from Belkin that also works like a charm (that only cost me $14.00).

Edit 2: It's not the cable but some random bug in macOS. The Belkin cables started doing the same thing, and now the original cables work again... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

mikaella

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
London
Sadly I have this even on the new 27MD5KL... Here's a video of the problem.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I've tried 3 of these already and all had this problem, even the one at an Apple Store on display.

On some screens this is more visible than on others. It’s easier to see in a darker environment than in a brightly lit one.

Is this related to the coating? Maybe the protective plastic sheet covering the LCD?

Any input greatly appreciated.

I just got mine and quickly noticed this display is screwed up. I have the 5K version. I notice a two patches on the left and right of the display that show these wavy vertical lines. In person they kinda give you a blurry and rainbows effect. It's hard to capture with the camera but you should be able to see it in the pictures. Check it out:
IMG_0096.JPG

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Anybody here having trouble connecting the old Mac mini to the 24 inch lg fine. I have the adapter but it doesn’t work
[doublepost=1566949167][/doublepost]

Is anyone else experiencing this? I've tried 3 of these already and all had this problem, even the one at an Apple Store on display.

On some screens this is more visible than on others. It’s easier to see in a darker environment than in a brightly lit one.

Is this related to the coating? Maybe the protective plastic sheet covering the LCD?

I have the 24inch. No problem here

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
Hi, I have been using the LG 5k for two years and it worked great until few months ago when it started to show image retention. Does anyone know (more or less) the cost to replace the panel?

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Check to see if you have an A or B model. One had a longer warranty than the other from what I understand. :)

Reactions: fpenta

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
Check to see if you have an A or B model. One had a longer warranty than the other from what I understand. :)
I just checked on the back of the monitor. It should be the A model, it’s one of the first manufactured in November 2016

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016

I bought the new 5K display and mine has this problem too.. Did you solve the problem? I can't believe how many problems there are with this monitor.

fpenta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
So I returned the new 27MD5KL model and Apple said it’s a characteristic of the new panel. This means that every new LG 5k UltraFine have this vertical line issue. This didn’t happen in the older model. (both the two models that I had didn’t have the issue)

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Anyone else experiencing choppy video performance and display slowdown in Catalina? All was well until this mess of a software.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Anyone else experiencing choppy video performance and display slowdown in Catalina? All was well until this mess of a software.
I'm not seeing that on my 2018 13" MBP.

I am having issues with audio output not staying selected to the LG though.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
I'm not seeing that on my 2018 13" MBP.

I am having issues with audio output not staying selected to the LG though.

Interesting. I had that issue a while back after a point OS update and found an update to the display in the LG Screen Manager, after that all was well. Worth double checking?

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Interesting. I had that issue a while back after a point OS update and found an update to the display in the LG Screen Manager, after that all was well. Worth double checking?
Thanks for the tip. I just checked and it shows I am on the latest firmware.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 11.08.48 AM.png

slkrik

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I've just purchased the 27MD5KL-B model from the Apple Store and am having issues with the camera + firmware updates. The camera isn't registering at all (Photo Booth/FaceTime say the camera is off). And when I try to use the LG Screen Manager app, it tells me there's an update but the update never passes 0% and fails every time:

1572114043898.png

1572114055466.png

Are these common issues? Anyone ressolved the firmware update issues? I've been pretty disappointed in the software quality as so many people recommended this one, on top of being a $1,300 monitor. I tried reaching out to LG support but they tell me there are no firmware updates and that I should bring it in to be serviced. This is day one with the display.

CHA05 R31GN5

Suspended
Oct 31, 2019
United States
I've just purchased the 27MD5KL-B model from the Apple Store and am having issues with the camera + firmware updates. The camera isn't registering at all (Photo Booth/FaceTime say the camera is off). And when I try to use the LG Screen Manager app, it tells me there's an update but the update never passes 0% and fails every time:

View attachment 872594

View attachment 872595

Are these common issues? Anyone ressolved the firmware update issues? I've been pretty disappointed in the software quality as so many people recommended this one, on top of being a $1,300 monitor. I tried reaching out to LG support but they tell me there are no firmware updates and that I should bring it in to be serviced. This is day one with the display.
Wow! LG couldn't even get the translation to English correct for their error message, "Please plug out the monitor power cable and plug it again.".

Onto the more important problem, in the monitor software version, "(3.04,0.0, 5250,4.13,0.3)", the second grouping of digits "0.0" should be the display camera firmware version. But, that's not correct and is probably still 1.13 since I doubt LG changed the camera from the 27MD5KA(B). You can check if macOS has detected the camera by actually activating it. It's in a power saving state when not in use. If it won't activate, then you have an OS detection problem. The camera firmware version can be viewed from selecting " > About This Mac > System Report > USB > LG UltraFine Display Camera".

If the camera is not detected, then try factory resetting the monitor with the "LG Screen Manager" app. Also, check that the Thunderbolt 3 cable is ,in fact, a Thunderbolt 3 cable and not USB-C. The physical connectors are the same but the software protocol for communication is not.

I would deduce that either the camera is not being detected by your OS or has a communication problem either from hardware or software related problems on the 5K. If you can connect the monitor to a different computer with macOS, Windows, or Linux, then you could quickly check if the problem is related to macOS that this is occurring on. If the different computer detects and activates the camera, then it's macOS on that computer. If it's only on the one computer, then proceed with resetting.

0. Disconnect any peripherals on the macOS computer, to include the monitor, you're using this display with and reconnect only the display via a known operational and compatible Thunderbolt 3 Cable.
1. After the display is detected, then open the app and select "Factory Reset" under "Settings".
2. After the reset, then disconnect the monitor from the computer.
3. Reconnect the monitor and check that the camera is detected and will activate. If not, then you can attempt another firmware update. If the update fails again, the firmware version is still "0.0", and the camera will not activate, then this will require LG to repair/replace. It's still under warranty and you may be able to get a replacement from Apple, instead of going through LG's return process.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Since updating to macOS 10.15.1 I have the bug that (sometimes) when I plug in my LG Ultrafine 5k into my MacBook Pro the brightness of both my MacBook Pro and the monitor get cranked up to 100%.

Anyone else also having this issue and knows a fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.