Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Megatron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Does anyone else notice this? Is this pretty common in the 12" ibooks? That little silver button under the trackpad that you push to release the lcd lid when the computer is closed.

I notice that there is a little give in it - I can slide the button up and down just slightly. Unfortunately, when it is in a certain position, it makes a slight rattle when I click the trackpad button.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, can anything be done about it? Can it be fixed?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Just bought a 12 inch iBook for my mom for xmas and everything seems fine with hers, it might be just yours or maybe the batch that came out of the factory.

Vster

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
Celina, TX
Yes, I've also noticed this. My wife and I both have 12" 1.33 Ghz iBooks, but for some reason only mine has the jiggly button, and it seems that the lower left corner creaks when I rest my wrist on it for typing.:confused:

Megatron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
Vster said:
Yes, I've also noticed this. My wife and I both have 12" 1.33 Ghz iBooks, but for some reason only mine has the jiggly button, and it seems that the lower left corner creaks when I rest my wrist on it for typing.:confused:

Yes! the lower left corner on mine also creaks! Is this the kind of thing that is covered under apple care?

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
Megatron said:
Yes! the lower left corner on mine also creaks! Is this the kind of thing that is covered under apple care?

I'm guessing that they may cover it but prepare to work your way up the phone heirarchy.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
First off, it's a button that's going to wear out and wobble a bit over time. Or even at the beginning of your time with your iBook. That's the way it is.

Second off, my iBook's button does wobble on the right side. But this is because that's where I usually push it to open.

This isn't something to really worry about. Sure, it can be annoying, but it's not worth fixing because you're going to get a hell of a fight.

Megatron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
I agree - it probably would be a huge hassle with apple. I was just curious to see if mine was an isolated example or if it happened to other ibooks.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Vster said:

I also just got the 12" iBook, and yes, I have a creaky left corner plus an assortment of other minor glitches... there's a pretty big thread about all this over at the Mac Help & Basics forum "New iBook annoyances"... the upshot, I took it to the Apple store and they said "within spec" and all of them have these problems to one degree or another... not worth the hassle of exchanging. Though they did advise informing Apple of these problems so there is a record in case something goes wrong as a result of these problems (lid falling off!), at least it shows it was a pre-existing problem, not user error. YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.