Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I get the LifeProof Fre case every year for my phone, I know it sort of defeats the purpose since the devices are fairly water proof now, but I work around a great deal of dust and other elements that I'd rather not let get on or into my device.

So we got the LifeProof Fre cases this year - for my Pro Max and my wife's 11. These are the absolute worst Fre cases they have ever released. The one nice thing is that they are thinner, and that's where the nice things end.

The cases both look like there are bubbles underneath the screen between the protector and the screen. I've had this issue with previous Fre's but it's either went away, or been easy to get rid of -- this time around it's been next to impossible. The screen looks just awful.

The new "knob" to toggle the ringer is awful -- it's difficult to turn (though I've managed to get it a little more usable after clicking it about 50 times - may have just needed to be worked in), but still not as easy as the little flip switch they used to use.

The top of the case does not close all the way, and there's a sizable and visible gap where dust, and water (defeats the purpose of the case) can still get in. If I remove the case and snap it closed with no phone in it, it seems to close all the way so clearly something (I am thinking the camera) is preventing it from snapping closed all the way at the top.

LifeProof support *sucks* and has done nothing but give me the run around. They've suggested to others using a used dryer sheet to wipe the inside of the case and the screen of the device -- not sure what this would do, and not sure if I'm even going to entertain trying it.

I went with LifeProof because OtterBox (who is the same folks anyhow) stopped making the Defender with a screen protector, and I'd have been better off using the Supcase that I got for my Pro Max then this POS Fre.

Just letting anyone who may be debating getting this overpriced piece of junk case, that LifeProof really dropped the ball on this one BIGTIME.

I also tried to post a review on their website, since I purchased the cases directly from them, and surprise surprise, they have yet to approve them, but have approved a few "positive" ones that I am sure they posted, as well as a few (amazingly) negative ones.

Pic of bubbles in screen and the gap on top (that one was a bit harder to get a clear photo of, will try to get a better one).

IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Hooterville

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Stopped buying these POS Fre cases years ago. I'm always tempted to try another but sure glad I didn't.

Wonder if Dog & Bone is making the waterproof cases for the new iPhones?

Last edited:

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
These are great cases and always work for me . I don't get the hate !!!
No *hate* from me, been using LifeProof for years, and been quite happy. No issues getting replacements, etc when needed, just a bit upset that a case that's this expensive, has this many issues. The ugly bubbling on the screen, and moreover the gap along the top which I imagine would easily let in water and/or dust. LifeProof customer care has been useless. I even tried their used dryer sheet suggestion about 20 minutes ago, and it actually made things look worse. I need (or prefer) a case like this as where I work there's a great deal of dust, etc, and hated having to shield my screen with cases that didn't have built in protection (and I hate installing third party screen protectors). Just disappointed in LifeProof on this generation of Fre.

Reactions: blaine07

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
No *hate* from me, been using LifeProof for years, and been quite happy. No issues getting replacements, etc when needed, just a bit upset that a case that's this expensive, has this many issues. The ugly bubbling on the screen, and moreover the gap along the top which I imagine would easily let in water and/or dust. LifeProof customer care has been useless. I even tried their used dryer sheet suggestion about 20 minutes ago, and it actually made things look worse. I need (or prefer) a case like this as where I work there's a great deal of dust, etc, and hated having to shield my screen with cases that didn't have built in protection (and I hate installing third party screen protectors). Just disappointed in LifeProof on this generation of Fre.

For what these Fre cost you have every right to hate. These case makers need to stop trying to pass crap on like this as acceptable. Clearly, theirs issues. Ray Charles could see the issues...

KenAdams

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
I actually just signed up for this forum in solidarity my friend - my story reads EXACTLY as yours does! I have the gap at the top that things have entered in through and the bubbles are unlike any other lifeproof cases I have had (and there have been many). I even traded in my Supcase (yes, that is also what I had) because I wanted the lanyard and cameras covered - had that been waterproof, it would’ve been magic, yet I liked so many things about the lifeproof until I put it into action. It is almost exactly the perfect case it should be.

I should also note that even with a case on it, I still baby my phone and even clean the case daily. I haven’t even dropped it on carpet.

side note to other poster - I’ve read on other forums that ACTUALLY USING a screen protector will help eliminate the bubbles. I have not tried that myself yet.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
side note to other poster - I’ve read on other forums that ACTUALLY USING a screen protector will help eliminate the bubbles. I have not tried that myself yet.
I remember when I had the fre for the iPhone 7+ I had a film style screen protector on when I had it in the case and it actually did help eliminate most of the fre protector sticking to the display “aka” bubbles.

Last edited:

R1200RT

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2019
Thank you, boxermansr, for your original post as it, too, corroborates my experience with the iPhone 11 Pro Max LifeProof Fre case. I suspect the top gap & bubbles are related to the lack of clearance between case front cover & iPhone screen. There are 2 clear nubs at the top of the case that seem to act as spacers/shims. Since most of my bubbles are towards the bottom of the screen where there are no spacers/shims, I suspect they create space and at the same time prevent the case from closing completely at the top. I shared this potential design flaw with LifeProof and have received no response. I am extremely disappointed with the case & would not recommend it.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I to hated the way the screen looked. So what I did was get cheap plastic anti glare screen saver from amazon. Solved the grease slick look and screen sensitivity is the same.

Attachments

• E99B5E49-CAC2-4381-B410-775B208BAEB8.jpeg
    E99B5E49-CAC2-4381-B410-775B208BAEB8.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 1,474

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I to hated the way the screen looked. So what I did was get cheap plastic anti glare screen saver from amazon. Solved the grease slick look and screen sensitivity is the same.

Does this degrade the quality of the display any?

PhoenixCrystal

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
I have the same issue with the bublles on the Fre. They offered to replace the case but in another color. Apparently it's only an issue with the black cases. I refused but did get them to send me the Alpha Glass screen protector free to see if that does, in fact, help eliminate the bubbles. For anyone also wanting to try that. I have had nothing but Fre cases for years and the bubbles always went away quickly. They are horrible on the 11 pro case.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
I figured I'd post an update. I've had my case replaced twice now by LifeProof. I also got one from Amazon (to have a spare).

The one I got from Amazon (Chalk Grey or whatever it is) had the rubber seal/o-ring that goes on the back of the case just sitting in the box -- I screwed with it for half an hour and it just kept popping out, so I got a replacement - that one is far far better than the original one I got from LifeProof (black).

In the meantime, LifeProof had me work with their engineering team, and they sent me a new black case -- it was a little bit better than the first, but the bubble/oil/whatever effect was still there.

They then let me change color to the Chalk Grey and sent me TWO cases -- they told me to keep both of those, as well as the black one they sent me (so in total I have four cases -- the one from Amazon, the black from LifeProof, and two Grey from LifeProof).

The Grey one I have on now still has a *slight* gap on the top side where I can run my fingernail, but it is nowhere near as bad as the black variation of the cases which leads me to think they were the first run and QA may not have been too great on them.

I also ordered a Pelican Marine case on Amazon, as they were on sale, a few days ago (supposed to be here today, but UPS doesn't know where it's at, so who knows) as I had one for my iPhone X and it was pretty decent.

I also took a look at the Catalyst cases for iPhone 11 Pro Max and the one thing I read was that the bad scratches very very easily -- that's another of those "close to LifeProof cost" cases, so not too wild about spending that amount to have it all scratched -- the Pelican I had for my iPhone X held up pretty well (my wife's got a yellowish tint to it after about 8-9 months though).

So far, still rocking the replacement Grey that Amazon sent, and it does have *some* of the bubble/water/oil effect, but it's tolerable (the two black ones looked like someone sprayed oil on the screen before putting on the case), so the theory of different color cases may hold somewhat true.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I figured I'd post an update. I've had my case replaced twice now by LifeProof. I also got one from Amazon (to have a spare).

The one I got from Amazon (Chalk Grey or whatever it is) had the rubber seal/o-ring that goes on the back of the case just sitting in the box -- I screwed with it for half an hour and it just kept popping out, so I got a replacement - that one is far far better than the original one I got from LifeProof (black).

In the meantime, LifeProof had me work with their engineering team, and they sent me a new black case -- it was a little bit better than the first, but the bubble/oil/whatever effect was still there.

They then let me change color to the Chalk Grey and sent me TWO cases -- they told me to keep both of those, as well as the black one they sent me (so in total I have four cases -- the one from Amazon, the black from LifeProof, and two Grey from LifeProof).

The Grey one I have on now still has a *slight* gap on the top side where I can run my fingernail, but it is nowhere near as bad as the black variation of the cases which leads me to think they were the first run and QA may not have been too great on them.

I also ordered a Pelican Marine case on Amazon, as they were on sale, a few days ago (supposed to be here today, but UPS doesn't know where it's at, so who knows) as I had one for my iPhone X and it was pretty decent.

I also took a look at the Catalyst cases for iPhone 11 Pro Max and the one thing I read was that the bad scratches very very easily -- that's another of those "close to LifeProof cost" cases, so not too wild about spending that amount to have it all scratched -- the Pelican I had for my iPhone X held up pretty well (my wife's got a yellowish tint to it after about 8-9 months though).

So far, still rocking the replacement Grey that Amazon sent, and it does have *some* of the bubble/water/oil effect, but it's tolerable (the two black ones looked like someone sprayed oil on the screen before putting on the case), so the theory of different color cases may hold somewhat true.

Can you post a couple pics of the gray one? Thanks.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Can you post a couple pics of the gray one? Thanks.
Won't be the greatest quality, had to take with an old school (crappy) camera. Will try to take better ones once wife if home and I can use her phone to do so, but you can see (hopefully) its much better (screen wise). There is also *no* screen protector between the screen and case (for those that didn't seem to get that the first time around, saying that was the cause for the "bubble/water" effect.

Attachments

• 100_2471.JPG
    100_2471.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 724
  • 100_2472.JPG
    100_2472.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 750
Reactions: Hooterville

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Won't be the greatest quality, had to take with an old school (crappy) camera. Will try to take better ones once wife if home and I can use her phone to do so, but you can see (hopefully) its much better (screen wise). There is also *no* screen protector between the screen and case (for those that didn't seem to get that the first time around, saying that was the cause for the "bubble/water" effect.

Nice, can you take one of the back also?

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
Got my Pelican Marine today, absolutely zero issues with bubbling/water/oil slick/whatever effect on the screen. The case certainly is thicker than the Fre (which was the same case with the one I had for my iPhone X). It seems almost indestructible now, but not sure if I like the added thickness.

I ended up sending the Fre I got from Amazon back, since I have three from LifeProof (replacement black, and two chalk grey they sent for free), so didn't see the need to have four Fre's plus this case. I think I'll give this one a go for a bit, and see if I can get used to the added bulk. It's clear (though not crystal clear, kind of a smokey clear). Here's a couple of pics of the Pelican.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 1,636
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 820
Reactions: compwiz1202

eddiezus

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2019
something about the lifeproof cases are trash now! i bought one from verizon (NËXT) and it didn’t close all the way, and the some dust got into the phone already.

matter of fact, most of my “go to” cases that i’ve bought are trash for this phone, except Speck. Usually Speck is notorious for rush releasing cases a couple of days after the phones are announced.

Christina Faulkner

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
I get the LifeProof Fre case every year for my phone, I know it sort of defeats the purpose since the devices are fairly water proof now, but I work around a great deal of dust and other elements that I'd rather not let get on or into my device.

So we got the LifeProof Fre cases this year - for my Pro Max and my wife's 11. These are the absolute worst Fre cases they have ever released. The one nice thing is that they are thinner, and that's where the nice things end.

The cases both look like there are bubbles underneath the screen between the protector and the screen. I've had this issue with previous Fre's but it's either went away, or been easy to get rid of -- this time around it's been next to impossible. The screen looks just awful.

The new "knob" to toggle the ringer is awful -- it's difficult to turn (though I've managed to get it a little more usable after clicking it about 50 times - may have just needed to be worked in), but still not as easy as the little flip switch they used to use.

The top of the case does not close all the way, and there's a sizable and visible gap where dust, and water (defeats the purpose of the case) can still get in. If I remove the case and snap it closed with no phone in it, it seems to close all the way so clearly something (I am thinking the camera) is preventing it from snapping closed all the way at the top.

LifeProof support *sucks* and has done nothing but give me the run around. They've suggested to others using a used dryer sheet to wipe the inside of the case and the screen of the device -- not sure what this would do, and not sure if I'm even going to entertain trying it.

I went with LifeProof because OtterBox (who is the same folks anyhow) stopped making the Defender with a screen protector, and I'd have been better off using the Supcase that I got for my Pro Max then this POS Fre.

Just letting anyone who may be debating getting this overpriced piece of junk case, that LifeProof really dropped the ball on this one BIGTIME.

I also tried to post a review on their website, since I purchased the cases directly from them, and surprise surprise, they have yet to approve them, but have approved a few "positive" ones that I am sure they posted, as well as a few (amazingly) negative ones.

Pic of bubbles in screen and the gap on top (that one was a bit harder to get a clear photo of, will try to get a better one).

View attachment 875085 View attachment 875086
I purchased the lifeproof fre case for my iPhone 11 Pro. I like this case a lot. I read a lot about air bubbles I don’t know if I’m allowed to post this but hopedully it’s not an issue (if it is please delete) a simple screen protector that is anti-glare under this fre case removes all the bubbles. Just a simple hack to maybe help someone who has this issue. Just a cheap anti-glare again must be anti-glare or it won’t work (doesn’t have to be glass it’s preferred it’s not glass the film ones are thinner then glass) but a cheap anti-glare screen protector (i got mine from amazon for 7.99 for 3). I put one under this case and no more bubbles!! No problems with sensitivity it works perfectly! love this case and most would too if they could get rid of the Bubble issue do it!!! Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.