Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
Last week I bought an iPad Air 3 and loving it thus far. What bothers me though, is the lightning port. It's much tighter than any that I used so far. It's not that I have to apply brute force, but I have to push/pull quite hard to get the plug in and out. I'm worried that at some point the tip of the plug might break off and get stuck in the port.

I'm wondering if any of you have a similar experience. Does the port loosen up after use or is it going to stay like this? I'd rather not exchange the iPad, because this time around I won the screen lottery and the screen is just perfect!

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Last week I bought an iPad Air 3 and loving it thus far. What bothers me though, is the lightning port. It's much tighter than any that I used so far. It's not that I have to apply brute force, but I have to push/pull quite hard to get the plug in and out. I'm worried that at some point the tip of the plug might break off and get stuck in the port.

I'm wondering if any of you have a similar experience. Does the port loosen up after use or is it going to stay like this? I'd rather not exchange the iPad, because this time around I won the screen lottery and the screen is just perfect!

Thanks in advance for your input!
That's funny. I find it easy to pull a lightning plug out, but not USB-C.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I have to push/pull quite hard to get the plug in and out.
You need to obtain a machine that can accurately and repeatedly measure the force necessary to pull out the Lightning plug. Then you have to compare to the Lightning specification to find out whether yours is too tight. Post back soon with the results.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
You need to obtain a machine that can accurately and repeatedly measure the force necessary to pull out the Lightning plug. Then you have to compare to the Lightning specification to find out whether yours is too tight. Post back soon with the results.

very funny. NOT. I’m having a serious worry. And a genuine question. If you can’t help me, that’s fine. Don’t be an ass...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.