Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
For UK people who want to buy non-grey imports I can recommend:

Warehouse Express, now trading as WEX, - great shop in Norwich and a website.

Camera World - Shops in London and Chelmsford as well as a website.

I have bought cameras from both of them and got good advice. I once went into Camera World which is just off Oxford street and the nice salesperson told me that I didn't need to upgrade my camera as the new model that had just came out wasn't much of an upgrade from my present camera. Epic.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
can we remove ken rockwell from the nikon list?
not only does he give biased reviews of products he hasent ever touched( :eek: ) his "reviews" are more in the same fasion, hevially biased(and his bias changes with the wind) and for the most part grossly inacurate.

he is also an advocate of pure jpeg shooting ( :confused: )

Why should it be removed? People can decided by themselves to read or not to read what Ken Rockwell has to offer.
------------------

This webpage relates to Canon compatible lenses, including Canon ones. Click on the lens link, and you can see photo samples taken with that individual lens:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=141406

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
can we remove ken rockwell from the nikon list?
not only does he give biased reviews of products he hasent ever touched( :eek: ) his "reviews" are more in the same fasion, hevially biased(and his bias changes with the wind) and for the most part grossly inacurate.

he is also an advocate of pure jpeg shooting ( :confused: )
Kens reviews are not that inaccurate. Snapshort is really inacurate.
Rockwell is one of the most successfull photo bloggers and his page contains some very nice articles on analog and digital photography.
Every review needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
Is image stabilization really important? I'm trying to find a cheapish Canon 75-300mm lens or 55-250mm lens and I can get some good cheap ones but they don't have image stabilization. I can find a select few but they are $100+ more. Is it not that important a feature which is why they are hard to find or is it a needed feature?

Taking my pictures now I don't seem to shake but I'm sure it does more than that. I have a Canon SL1 if that matters.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Is image stabilization really important? I'm trying to find a cheapish Canon 75-300mm lens or 55-250mm lens and I can get some good cheap ones but they don't have image stabilization. I can find a select few but they are $100+ more. Is it not that important a feature which is why they are hard to find or is it a needed feature?

Taking my pictures now I don't seem to shake but I'm sure it does more than that. I have a Canon SL1 if that matters.
Depends on how you shoot and what you shoot.
If you always use a tripod and are photographing landscapes, not so much. If not it will cost you a few bumps in ISO. This will effect your image quality.
For more advice on this I'd post your own thread. This one is really supposed to be links for shopping etc.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
e-infin.com for EU...
this is gray market items, but originals...no doubt best prices in EU
have 1 year seller warranty
just purchased nikon 70-200 FL for 1700EUR

applenerd600

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2020
I think in order to find the perfect camera, you need to evaluate your needs. Therefore I think this article perfectly summarizes all the point you may want to consider: It is in German, but you cann easily traslate it with google translate or put it in the deepl translator. they compare different cameras and for sure you will find the perfect camera for you.

Hope it helps all nikon fans!

Reactions: Dockland

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
More of an accessory. Many of us have some very solid and powerful flashes such as my old Vivitar 283 just gathering dust. Even when a digital camera has provisions for an external flash, for various reasons the trigger mechanism on these old flashes is usually not compatible with modern cameras. Also on board flashes tend to be rather weak as otherwise they could drain the camera battery in a big hurry.

You can mount that star wars flash to a little slave trigger with no cable required. When the camera flashes the slave will trigger the big flash. Found this one at Amazon.ca for $16, probably even cheaper stateside.

Of course old studio slave flashes also work just fine, no special relay required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.