Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Can yo expand on what you would do different ?

Install NodeJS with Homebrew - http://brew.sh

Just install Homebrew per the one line command, then "brew update" and then "brew install nodejs"
Now when you run "brew update" and then "brew upgrade" in the future if there's any updates it'll updated NodeJS for you automatically. Homebrew is also handy for instally thousands of similar packges into OS X.

Reactions: m11rphy

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Install NodeJS with Homebrew - http://brew.sh

Just install Homebrew per the one line command, then "brew update" and then "brew install nodejs"
Now when you run "brew update" and then "brew upgrade" in the future if there's any updates it'll updated NodeJS for you automatically. Homebrew is also handy for instally thousands of similar packges into OS X.

As someone who has never used GitHub or any of the other components before, I did find installing the Homebridge for my WeMos pretty intimidating at first because all the instructions, even the ones claiming to be for newbies, skipped some of the basic stuff I needed to know. But once I pieced together what I needed to do it was actually pretty easy and now I use the Home app to tell Siri to operate my WeMos. I say "Hey Siri, set Movie Time!" and my projector goes on, the projection screen goes down (via an IFTTT recipe) and all the lights go off. Then I can say "Hey Siri, Bedtime!" and the projector turns off, the screen goes back up and the bedside lamp in my bedroom goes on so I can see my way to the bedroom. It works great and will tide me over until Belkin makes WeMos officially HomeKit compatible.

Reactions: dannys1 and m11rphy

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
As someone who has never used GitHub or any of the other components before, I did find installing the Homebridge for my WeMos pretty intimidating at first because all the instructions, even the ones claiming to be for newbies, skipped some of the basic stuff I needed to know. But once I pieced together what I needed to do it was actually pretty easy and now I use the Home app to tell Siri to operate my WeMos. I say "Hey Siri, set Movie Time!" and my projector goes on, the projection screen goes down (via an IFTTT recipe) and all the lights go off. Then I can say "Hey Siri, Bedtime!" and the projector turns off, the screen goes back up and the bedside lamp in my bedroom goes on so I can see my way to the bedroom. It works great and will tide me over until Belkin makes WeMos officially HomeKit compatible.

Don't suppose you feel like writing a guide for us other newbies ?

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Don't suppose you feel like writing a guide for us other newbies ?

I'm a little busy right now to write a full guide but I CAN jot down a few things I had trouble understanding to get started:

1. You need a computer on your network that you can install the scripts on and they need to run continuously. At first, I thought I had to buy a GitHub space to run the scripts but, no, they run locally on an always-on computer on your home wifi. These scripts constantly monitor the current state of your smart devices so that's why they need to always be running and on the wifi. I use an old MacPro I have. As long as you know how to install background scripts, you can use a Mac or a PC (or raspberry PI, etc) to run the scripts. You can use a computer you use for other things and have the scripts running in the background. I use the same computer for running Kodi and to store media I use for my motion graphics work.

2. You need to be comfortable with using the Terminal on a Mac or the equivalent on a PC. The instructions on GitHub and the other sites the scripts link to make it easy to copy paste the correct commands to use. The scripts don't install like apps where you open an installer and keep clicking a button to install. You use commands in Terminal to install and it can be a little scary the first time, but you'll get used to it.

3. Download the scripts you need to install. You can leave them in your Downloads folder and the Terminal will find them fine when you execute commands. If these are the first scripts you've ever installed you'll also need to install a script called "Node.js" because the HomeBridge script uses the NPM command in Terminal (yeah, confusing but hang in there)

Homebridge scripts: https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge
NPM website: https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge
Installing Node.js: https://docs.npmjs.com/getting-started/installing-node

4. The scripts for Mac involve a SUDO command and the first time you use that in Terminal you'll be prompted for your computer's admin password. It's a safety feature to make sure you know what you are doing (just pretend, lol) and that you are the admin for the computer. The Terminal password prompt has a single dot and I assumed more dots would appear as I typed my admin login password like it normally would but it doesn't. It will look like nothing is happening when you type but it actually is registering what you are typing. So ignore the fact that no more dots are appearing, type in your computer's admin password and hit enter.

5. The instructions on Github will tell you to edit the config.son file. DON'T use Text Edit to edit the scripts. It changes the quote marks to smart quotes and the scripts won't work. Use the suggested free Atom editor the instructions provide a link for. https://atom.io

They provide an example called "config-sample.son" for a starting point. It looks like this:

{
"bridge": {
"name": "Homebridge",
"username": "CC:22:3D:E3:CE:30",
"port": 51826,
"pin": "031-45-154"
},

"description": "This is an example configuration file with one fake accessory and one fake platform. You can use this as a template for creating your own configuration file containing devices you actually own.",

"accessories": [
{
"accessory": "WeMo",
"name": "Coffee Maker"
}
],

"platforms": [
{
"platform" : "PhilipsHue",
"name" : "Hue"
}
]
}

I edited the PIN to different set of numbers in the same 3-2-3 format, which is important because the HOME app has boxes you type the PIN into with boxes laid out as ###-##-### I left the port number and username alone and it worked fine.

The Accessories and Platforms sections are edited based on the devices you want to add to the Bridge and there are specific scripts on GitHub for different kinds of devices. Be careful when you edit that you don't mess up the "]" and "}"s nesting. The device script instructions tell you what to edit here. For the Wemos, I needed to edit how many devices it should scan for and how long it should try to find them. It doesn't matter if you tell it too many to look for. I said 7 because I counted the WeMo maker on my projection screen but the script doesn't work with the Maker so it always gets an error saying it can't find all the expected 7. Doesn't affect whether it works or not but I probably wouldn't type in a big random number like 50 and make it think it has to keep looking for 50 when it is done when it finds 5. So the platforms section I have looks like this:

{
"platform": "BelkinWeMo",
"name": "WeMo Platform",
"expected_accessories" : "7",
"timeout" : "25",
"no_motion_timer": "60",
"homekit_safe" : "1"
}
]

Script for WeMo devices: https://github.com/rudders/homebridge-platform-wemo

Put the edited scripts where the directions say to. The WeMo script logs devices based on how the WeMo App names them. Every time you change the name of a device or add a new one in the WeMo app for iPhone or Android, you'll need to quit the scripts and restart them to re-initiate everything so that the HOME app that works with Siri knows the correct devices and their names. I edited the preferences in Terminal so that every time I start Terminal the scripts automatically start. Makes it a little easier to re-initiate because all I do is quit and restart Terminal. I also made Terminal automatically start when the computer restarts and logs in (in user log-in preferences).

This is practically all you need to know. I'll finesse this guide later but this will get you started. If you have questions I'll try to help!

Last edited:

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
I'm a little busy right now to write a full guide but I CAN jot down a few things I had trouble understanding to get started:

1. You need a computer on your network that you can install the scripts on and they need to run continuously. At first, I thought I had to buy a GitHub space to run the scripts but, no, they run locally on an always-on computer on your home wifi. These scripts constantly monitor the current state of your smart devices so that's why they need to always be running and on the wifi. I use an old MacPro I have. As long as you know how to install background scripts, you can use a Mac or a PC (or raspberry PI, etc) to run the scripts. You can use a computer you use for other things and have the scripts running in the background. I use the same computer for running Kodi and to store media I use for my motion graphics work.

2. You need to be comfortable with using the Terminal on a Mac or the equivalent on a PC. The instructions on GitHub and the other sites the scripts link to make it easy to copy paste the correct commands to use. The scripts don't install like apps where you open an installer and keep clicking a button to install. You use commands in Terminal to install and it can be a little scary the first time, but you'll get used to it.

3. Download the scripts you need to install. You can leave them in your Downloads folder and the Terminal will find them fine when you execute commands. If these are the first scripts you've ever installed you'll also need to install a script called "Node.js" because the HomeBridge script uses the NPM command in Terminal (yeah, confusing but hang in there)

Homebridge scripts: https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge
NPM website: https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge
Installing Node.js: https://docs.npmjs.com/getting-started/installing-node

4. The scripts for Mac involve a SUDO command and the first time you use that in Terminal you'll be prompted for your computer's admin password. It's a safety feature to make sure you know what you are doing (just pretend, lol) and that you are the admin for the computer. The Terminal password prompt has a single dot and I assumed more dots would appear as I typed my admin login password like it normally would but it doesn't. It will look like nothing is happening when you type but it actually is registering what you are typing. So ignore the fact that no more dots are appearing, type in your computer's admin password and hit enter.

5. The instructions on Github will tell you to edit the config.son file. DON'T use Text Edit to edit the scripts. It changes the quote marks to smart quotes and the scripts won't work. Use the suggested free Atom editor the instructions provide a link for. https://atom.io

They provide an example called "config-sample.son" for a starting point. It looks like this:

{
"bridge": {
"name": "Homebridge",
"username": "CC:22:3D:E3:CE:30",
"port": 51826,
"pin": "031-45-154"
},

"description": "This is an example configuration file with one fake accessory and one fake platform. You can use this as a template for creating your own configuration file containing devices you actually own.",

"accessories": [
{
"accessory": "WeMo",
"name": "Coffee Maker"
}
],

{
"platform" : "PhilipsHue",
"name" : "Hue"
}
]
}

I edited the PIN to different set of numbers in the same 3-2-3 format, which is important because the HOME app has boxes you type the PIN into with boxes laid out as ###-##-### I left the port number and username alone and it worked fine.

The Accessories and Platforms sections are edited based on the devices you want to add to the Bridge and there are specific scripts on GitHub for different kinds of devices. Be careful when you edit that you don't mess up the "]" and "}"s nesting. The device script instructions tell you what to edit here. For the Wemos, I needed to edit how many devices it should scan for and how long it should try to find them. It doesn't matter if you tell it too many to look for. I said 7 because I counted the WeMo maker on my projection screen but the script doesn't work with the Maker so it always gets an error saying it can't find all the expected 7. Doesn't affect whether it works or not but I probably wouldn't type in a big random number like 50 and make it think it has to keep looking for 50 when it is done when it finds 5. So the platforms section I have looks like this:

{
"platform": "BelkinWeMo",
"name": "WeMo Platform",
"expected_accessories" : "7",
"timeout" : "25",
"no_motion_timer": "60",
"homekit_safe" : "1"
}
]

Script for WeMo devices: https://github.com/rudders/homebridge-platform-wemo

Put the edited scripts where the directions say to. The WeMo script logs devices based on how the WeMo App names them. Every time you change the name of a device or add a new one in the WeMo app for iPhone or Android, you'll need to quit the scripts and restart them to re-initiate everything so that the HOME app that works with Siri knows the correct devices and their names. I edited the preferences in Terminal so that every time I start Terminal the scripts automatically start. Makes it a little easier to re-initiate because all I do is quit and restart Terminal. I also made Terminal automatically start when the computer restarts and logs in (in user log-in preferences).

This is practically all you need to know. I'll finesse this guide later but this will get you started. If you have questions I'll try to help!
Thanks for taking the time to put this together, I'm going to try this over the weekend.. I will report back how I get on

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Because if you want "easy to use" for actual automation, you're going to have to waste a decade, and HomeKit isn't going to give you that, all its going to let you do is control via Siri and if you're lucky pick up an app that ties together some very simple (and often useless) triggers.

Hey knock yourself out, but you're restricting yourself massively, like saying the only apps you're going to use from the OS X app store or something (actually worse and more limiting)

There goes your reading comprehension like what the other guy pointed out. I don't need a full blown automated house. I need intuitive operation, affordable, and simple automation.

Homekit also guarantees very strict standards for encryption, something i place a lot of value.

And i'm very sure most people will understand a consumer level product will be limited compared to a professional or advanced level product. Nothing new here.
[doublepost=1454313727][/doublepost]Interesting to see some of the inner workings of Homebridge. Definitely does not look at easy as the other guy portrayed. I don't code...

arles

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
I am currently building a small site where you can compare all the products. In addition, you can see the price history of the products. If u look and give me feedback what can be improved, that would be great: :)
https://homekit.guide/en

carsale

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
Atlanta
(...) I prefer to stick with Home Kit approved devices (unless its for something basic like a water leak detector) due to higher encryption standards.
[doublepost=1453070853][/doublepost]Reserved

I am looking for a water leak sensor. It's not that simple. No HomeKit compatible devices. Why does it not need to be? Any advice anyone?

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
I am looking for a water leak sensor. It's not that simple. No HomeKit compatible devices. Why does it not need to be? Any advice anyone?
I don't know what your current setup is, but if you have a smartthings hub this is doable. Get their water leak sensor and install homebridge. Now you'll have a "homekit" water leak sensor. Clearly easier said than done.

Or this. http://homekit.fibaro.com/

gildorn

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2017
I know Haiku Home's logo was on an Apple slide, but they do not currently have any HomeKit-compatible products. :(

js62789

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2017
I've been using intelliworm.com to find compatible HomeKit devices. It's updated frequently and indicates the date last updated at the bottom.

Reactions: Jason_G

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I know Haiku Home's logo was on an Apple slide, but they do not currently have any HomeKit-compatible products. :(
I contacted Haiku's customer support yesterday and they told me that they are working on HomeKit compatibility, but didn't have any dates.

gildorn

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2017
I contacted Haiku's customer support yesterday and they told me that they are working on HomeKit compatibility, but didn't have any dates.

I heard this from them last year as well. I suspect they might release a fan model that includes it, but would be pretty shocked if their higher-end models were made compatible or were upgradeable to include it.

I don't think that's sufficient to include them in the wiki list of HomeKit-compatible devices (but I don't have enough posts to be able to edit that wiki yet).

Jus711

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
I heard this from them last year as well. I suspect they might release a fan model that includes it, but would be pretty shocked if their higher-end models were made compatible or were upgradeable to include it.

I don't think that's sufficient to include them in the wiki list of HomeKit-compatible devices (but I don't have enough posts to be able to edit that wiki yet).
There is a homebridge plugin for the haiku though and it works great.

MartynK

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2017
Heatmiser have launched the HomeKit neoHub which connects the Neo thermostats to HomeKit. They have wired and wireless options and are a favourite with underfloor heating manufacturers.

homeKit.heatmiser.com

Reactions: Jason_G

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011

I just contacted Haiku again. The first agent said they are targeting early 2018 for HomeKit compatibility and that it will be a new control module, but when I asked him to confirm that the fan I buy today will be upgradeable he passed me over to another agent who said "no guarantees".

Seems like a big miss for a company targeting 'high end' buyers. It surely can't be that complicated, unless it's not a major priority?

KingBowser64

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
For HomeKit, does anyone know of a way to use HomeKit Smart Light Switches with Philips Hue Bulbs?
I have around 30 Hue bulbs in my house. Some are add-ons, such as Hue Lightstrip Plus and Hue Iris devices, while the majority of lights are actual A19 and BR30 bulbs. In order for Philips Hue lights to work, they require their power switch to constantly be “on.” HomeKit light switches work by turning the power to the lights on and off.
What I am wanting is a HomeKit light switch that would leave the power to the lights always on, but allow them to be controlled both physically and through HomeKit. We want to put Hue lights in our kitchen, but this room, due to its traffic, would require physical light switches. I know that Hue offers their battery powered switches, and we have one for our inside garage lights, but we want more permanent options.
So yeah, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a HomeKit light switch that can do what I am wanting: To replace the wiring of a current switch with a HomeKit Light Switch that would send HomeKit commands through both physically using the button and using Siri/Home.

Thanks.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I th
For HomeKit, does anyone know of a way to use HomeKit Smart Light Switches with Philips Hue Bulbs?
I have around 30 Hue bulbs in my house. Some are add-ons, such as Hue Lightstrip Plus and Hue Iris devices, while the majority of lights are actual A19 and BR30 bulbs. In order for Philips Hue lights to work, they require their power switch to constantly be “on.” HomeKit light switches work by turning the power to the lights on and off.
What I am wanting is a HomeKit light switch that would leave the power to the lights always on, but allow them to be controlled both physically and through HomeKit. We want to put Hue lights in our kitchen, but this room, due to its traffic, would require physical light switches. I know that Hue offers their battery powered switches, and we have one for our inside garage lights, but we want more permanent options.
So yeah, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a HomeKit light switch that can do what I am wanting: To replace the wiring of a current switch with a HomeKit Light Switch that would send HomeKit commands through both physically using the button and using Siri/Home.

Thanks.
I think iDevices might have released a stick on 'switch' which is really just a trigger for HomeKit to do something with another device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.