Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
Those that use esim, can I have esim with one provider and a pay as you go with another provider? I want to switch to O2 for my main contract line but I figured I might as well keep my EE pay as you go sim in the phone for business use?

Yes you can use it in this manner. I have my phone setup this way to get the better coverage using 2 different carriers.

The hard part is making sure one carrier supports eSIM for the plan type you want to use. Since all of the carriers support regular SIM's that won't be an issue for that part.

I'm not in the UK but I believe EE supports eSIM. I'm just not sure if it's for all of their plans so you need to check on that first. I don't know about O2 but if they don't support eSIM then you should be able to use a physical SIM.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Yes you can use it in this manner. I have my phone setup this way to get the better coverage using 2 different carriers.

The hard part is making sure one carrier supports eSIM for the plan type you want to use. Since all of the carriers support regular SIM's that won't be an issue for that part.

I'm not in the UK but I believe EE supports eSIM. I'm just not sure if it's for all of their plans so you need to check on that first. I don't know about O2 but if they don't support eSIM then you should be able to use a physical SIM.

great thanks. Yea I already have esim with EE. Just looking to move to O2 as I moved house and O2 has the best signal in this area!

cheers

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Leave your Primary SIM in place and use KnowRoaming or Ubigi as your eSIM for data. I’ve used KnowRoaming in Croatia and Greece and it has worked very well with fast LTE service for my data, and I still use my normal provider for text and voice calls.

Would you mind sharing what settings you use for that? I rarely travel internationally but have a European trip coming up. I'd like to do what I think you're saying -- keep my US Verizon SIM for voice/texts and buy prepaid eSIM service for data (including iMessages). But I'm worried about getting a setting wrong and being destroyed by Verizon prices.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Would you mind sharing what settings you use for that? I rarely travel internationally but have a European trip coming up. I'd like to do what I think you're saying -- keep my US Verizon SIM for voice/texts and buy prepaid eSIM service for data (including iMessages). But I'm worried about getting a setting wrong and being destroyed by Verizon prices.
I had xfinity mobile which uses Verizon towers domestically but doesn't have the $10.00 a day International plan that Verizon charges. At the end of the month I paid only about $2.50 extra for several texts and a few phone calls using Xfinity for voice and text and KnowRoaming for data. We had friends along on our trip that were dinged $10.00 when they accidentally made a phone call and another time when they texted.

I don't know if you are able to disable TravelPass with Verizon and still use Voice calls and Texts at international rates. If you are, then using the eSIM with KnowRoaming for data would be a good option.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Just activated my eSim on Virgin Mobile in Dubai on my iPhone 11 Pro. After activating it, I removed the nano sim and it's working like a charm!

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Does anyone know if Ubigi/GigSky/TruPhone or any of the sim data providers have LTE coverage in Sydney, Australia? I’m traveling there soon and would like to use one of these rather than picking up a local SIM like I usually do. It's always better a better value to get a local prepaid SIM but my work trip is only 6 days and I'd like to try this out since work is paying for it anyway. Might as well see if I like this process and can decide on person trips what to do.
[automerge]1573534495[/automerge]
I had xfinity mobile which uses Verizon towers domestically but doesn't have the $10.00 a day International plan that Verizon charges. At the end of the month I paid only about $2.50 extra for several texts and a few phone calls using Xfinity for voice and text and KnowRoaming for data. We had friends along on our trip that were dinged $10.00 when they accidentally made a phone call and another time when they texted.

I don't know if you are able to disable TravelPass with Verizon and still use Voice calls and Texts at international rates. If you are, then using the eSIM with KnowRoaming for data would be a good option.

How are you liking their service? Is the speed the same as Verizon? MVNOs tend to be slower, right? Does it get deprioritzed or throttled in a noticeable way?

EDIT: Every time I think about switching, 15 min later, I remember why I can't. lol. I'm on the Apple Upgrade plan and I need to be on one of the Big carriers to stay eligible. I get a pretty good work discount though. 5gb to share w/ phone & Apple Watch for about $65/mo incl taxes. But I'd still like to know what the Xfinity service is like.

Last edited:

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Does anyone know if Ubigi/GigSky/TruPhone or any of the sim data providers have LTE coverage in Sydney, Australia? I’m traveling there soon and would like to use one of these rather than picking up a local SIM like I usually do. It's always better a better value to get a local prepaid SIM but my work trip is only 6 days and I'd like to try this out since work is paying for it anyway. Might as well see if I like this process and can decide on person trips what to do.
[automerge]1573534495[/automerge]

How are you liking their service? Is the speed the same as Verizon? MVNOs tend to be slower, right? Does it get deprioritzed or throttled in a noticeable way?

EDIT: Every time I think about switching, 15 min later, I remember why I can't. lol. I'm on the Apple Upgrade plan and I need to be on one of the Big carriers to stay eligible. I get a pretty good work discount though. 5gb to share w/ phone & Apple Watch for about $65/mo incl taxes. But I'd still like to know what the Xfinity service is like.
I have had Xfinity Mobile for almost two years and have been very happy with the speed and coverage. I haven't noticed any throttling or deprioritization in any way. I am a pretty light user, so I haven't used enough data to be subject to any caps.

VizagDude

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2018
USA

T-Mobile: No official post-paid support (some have been successful in a work-around but it isn't guaranteed and T-Mobile will not support if there is a problem). Pre-paid eSIM available via the T-Mobile eSIM app.

I was looking at this tread and I hope this information gets updated. T-Mobile USA does support post-paid eSIM. I am a Post Paid customer and I have eSIM on my 11 Pro Max. All you have to do is, go to any TMo store and they would switch you to eSIM

Reactions: jimmysalg

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Just did an online chat and moved my t mobile sim to esim. It was quick and easy.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
There's a new eSIM company called Airalo. They're based out of Singapore and they provide very cheap eSIMs around the world. You can also find vouchers on social media for some free credit. I've used the eSIMS in UK (3UK Network), Greece (WIND Network), US (AT&T Network), and Canada (Rogers Network) and they all work great with fast LTE speeds. It's also great with DSDS if you need extra data for the month for cheap.

http://airalo.com/

Reactions: ecschwarz and ravic

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Just to add (if nobody mentioned it previously)

Indonesia
Smartfren: prepaid (and presumable postpaid as well).

Singapore
M1: postpaid and prepaid tourist SIM.

I find eSIM to be quite convenient. Wish all carriers support it. I mean it can save them the cost of making the plastic SIM card as they only need to print the QR code on a paper.

Reactions: rui no onna

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
Just did an online chat and moved my t mobile sim to esim. It was quick and easy.

I moved to TMO from VZW last month and went to switch to the eSIM today. How long does it usually take for the eSIM to kick in? I did an online chat w/ someone who definitely hadn't done it before and it took forever to get through the process. But we finally got my EID in the system and scan the QR code to add. Then they said it could take 2 hours for the eSIM to kick in. It's been 2 hours and still nothing.

Update: the first rep definitely didn’t do it right. I called back in and the 2nd rep said a major step was missed. She fixed it and the eSIM started working immediately.

Last edited:

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I moved to TMO from VZW last month and went to switch to the eSIM today. How long does it usually take for the eSIM to kick in? I did an online chat w/ someone who definitely hadn't done it before and it took forever to get through the process. But we finally got my EID in the system and scan the QR code to add. Then they said it could take 2 hours for the eSIM to kick in. It's been 2 hours and still nothing.

Update: the first rep definitely didn’t do it right. I called back in and the 2nd rep said a major step was missed. She fixed it and the eSIM started working immediately.
1st rep screwed up mine and it took hours to finally get an experienced rep to fix and set up. Seems like these carriers aren't training the reps extensively enough. You can tell the reps are quickly reading notes off a screen.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
There's a new eSIM company called Airalo. They're based out of Singapore and they provide very cheap eSIMs around the world. You can also find vouchers on social media for some free credit. I've used the eSIMS in UK (3UK Network), Greece (WIND Network), US (AT&T Network), and Canada (Rogers Network) and they all work great with fast LTE speeds. It's also great with DSDS if you need extra data for the month for cheap.

They've switched providers in a few places (US is now T-Mobile with Verizon fallback), so I wonder if they're doing some wholesale rates/providers to actually set up service. In my experience, their service is pretty nice, customer service was good when I had some questions, and it's fairly inexpensive for a bit of data just about anywhere. I've been using it as a backup to my main line and can see it being useful when traveling even just within the US.

filbert42

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2014
Worcestershire, UK

Seems to be data only, though. Wouldn’t suit me as I need voice as well.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Seems to be data only, though. Wouldn’t suit me as I need voice as well.

If you're calling back to your home country, and your home carrier supports Wi-Fi calling, you can actually use that mechanism to make calls over the other data line in many countries:

If you need local calling, it probably wouldn't be suitable.

filbert42

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2014
Worcestershire, UK
If you're calling back to your home country, and your home carrier supports Wi-Fi calling, you can actually use that mechanism to make calls over the other data line in many countries:

If you need local calling, it probably wouldn't be suitable.

I will need local calling, for sure, and I'm not sure about how wifi calling would work if I'm on data on the other SIM. Not in a position to test it and not likely to be for a good few months, the way things are at the moment :(

In any event, my network (Three UK) says that I can only make calls over wifi in the UK - not sure if they can strictly enforce that but I guess they will get location info from the data connection.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I will need local calling, for sure, and I'm not sure about how wifi calling would work if I'm on data on the other SIM. Not in a position to test it and not likely to be for a good few months, the way things are at the moment :(

In any event, my network (Three UK) says that I can only make calls over wifi in the UK - not sure if they can strictly enforce that but I guess they will get location info from the data connection.

Yeah, it's an iOS 13 feature with DSDS that the data SIM can provide "Wi-Fi calling" to the other line. Apparently some carriers geofence their Wi-Fi calling (seems some in Canada from what I've heard and apparently Three UK). Most of the US carriers don't seem to mind, but AT&T has shared an explicit list in their FAQ:

Wi-Fi Calling can be used in the Domestic Coverage Area (U.S., Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands) and from most international countries.

Wi-Fi Calling is restricted in the following countries: China, Saudi Arabia, India, Turkey, Israel, United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, Pakistan, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.

In your case, I'd probably have a surefire backup plan.

filbert42

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2014
Worcestershire, UK
Yeah, it's an iOS 13 feature with DSDS that the data SIM can provide "Wi-Fi calling" to the other line. Apparently some carriers geofence their Wi-Fi calling (seems some in Canada from what I've heard and apparently Three UK). Most of the US carriers don't seem to mind, but AT&T has shared an explicit list in their FAQ:

Interesting. Thanks..

In your case, I'd probably have a surefire backup plan.
Indeed :) - not helped by the fact that Three UK don't support eSIMs yet so I can't just pick up a local SIM when I arrive as I did with my last dual SIM phone (Honor 9). I'm now on an iPhone XS (as I have a Mac and an iPad so it just makes sense to be all Apple)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.