Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Freshman year of college was all about Lynx and Pine. Just for fun, I have them running with home brew on Catalina. If I ever have to edit a text file in terminal, I always use Pico which Mac os still retains as a shortcut to Nano.

Yes, pico was the first shell-based text editor I used back then. :)

These days, when I'm on a command line, I use vim for editing.

Reactions: AphoticD

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
did you post that screenshot to this thread.... on the actual powerbook 500 itself???!

Site loading need minutes, so no^^

I think the upload of the picture with classilla will need over ten minutes excluded the crashes of the browser because of lack of memory.

The biggest problem is the maximum of 40 MB RAM.

Reactions: Project Alice

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Site loading need minutes, so no^^

I think the upload of the picture with classilla will need over ten minutes excluded the crashes of the browser because of lack of memory.

The biggest problem is the maximum of 40 MB RAM.
Still incredible. Have you tried signing in? Try and post from the PowerBook!

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Still incredible. Have you tried signing in? Try and post from the PowerBook!

I have tested on a 9600 (more memory) with the the same browser. Login is possible but on macrumors you can't post, because the text field is not loading.

In the german macuser.de forum i can login, post and create threads.

Bild 1.JPG

Bild 2.JPG

Attachments

• Bild 1 1.JPG
    Bild 1 1.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

AaronKreipe

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Oregon
I couldn’t help but try to load it up on my Mac plus😜 It’s been out of commission for a couple years, so first I had to resurrect the HD

Today, I got it booted back up, and online, but thanks to the whole “let’s encrypt everything” trend all I got when I loaded MacRumors was a error page from cloudflare😞
I did find a little Easter egg on lowendmac.com though.
IMG_0766.jpg
IMG_0745.jpg

But I just couldn’t stop there. So I cheated😬

I used my 2009 Mac mini server and loaded MR in Safari, and took a screenshot. I then converted the file to a dithered monochrome .gif, and hosted it on said Mac mini using plain ol’ http, and loaded that site on the plus😅

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I couldn’t help but try to load it up on my Mac plus? It’s been out of commission for a couple years, so first I had to resurrect the HD

I used my 2009 Mac mini server and loaded MR in Safari, and took a screenshot. I then converted the file to a dithered monochrome .gif, and hosted it on said Mac mini using plain ol’ http, and loaded that site on the plus?
You could give Web Rendering Proxy a try :)

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
We really need to give that a second look... It's game-changing stuff.
lets try loading modern gmail and macrumors on the old 68k Mac plus!
[automerge]1575507806[/automerge]
I couldn’t help but try to load it up on my Mac plus? It’s been out of commission for a couple years, so first I had to resurrect the HD

Today, I got it booted back up, and online, but thanks to the whole “let’s encrypt everything” trend all I got when I loaded MacRumors was a error page from cloudflare?
I did find a little Easter egg on lowendmac.com though.
View attachment 880693 View attachment 880694

But I just couldn’t stop there. So I cheated?

I used my 2009 Mac mini server and loaded MR in Safari, and took a screenshot. I then converted the file to a dithered monochrome .gif, and hosted it on said Mac mini using plain ol’ http, and loaded that site on the plus?
When I first created this thread, I was expecting beige G3s, clamshells, and various other late 90s macs. I couldn't prepare to see macrumors loaded up on a 1994 PowerBook 500. Or all the other antique mid 90s pre G3 Macs. But this, truly overdoes everything, seeing macrumors on a mid 80s 68k. We all commend you!

Last edited:

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
When I first created this thread, I was expecting beige G3s, clamshells, and various other late 90s macs. I couldn't prepare to see macrumors loaded up on a 1994 PowerBook 500. Or all the other antique mid 90s pre G3 Macs. But this, truly overdoes everything, seeing macrumors on a mid 80s 68k. We all commend you!

Give us a challenge and we will freak out! ;)

"Load MacRumors on your oldest Mac" was the message, so i personaly dont see a problem by using a Web Rendering Proxy.

The Powerbook 500 PPC is my oldest Mac, so let me see your old babes loading macrumors ?

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Give us a challenge and we will freak out! ;)

"Load MacRumors on your oldest Mac" was the message, so i personaly dont see a problem by using a Web Rendering Proxy.

The Powerbook 500 PPC is my oldest Mac, so let me see your old babes loading macrumors ?
Exactly as you said, Web Rendering proxy technically isn't cheating. As long as the machine is doing the work to load or display it.
That means we can bring the modern web back to system 6,7 and Mac OS 8 and 9.

Reactions: B S Magnet

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Had 10.4.11 on it, but couldn't get mr to load. Put 9.2.2 and used Classilla to get it working lol. Now I have to figure out how I'll get 10.4.11 back on there tomorrow. lol

Is that a 600mhz snow like I have? And to get most websites to load on 10.4.11, you'll need to get a modern browser such as tenfourfox or arctic fox, although I recommend iceweaselppc. It's a modified version of tenfourfox browser and is faster on our older G3s.
Try copying the file over to the iMac through usb as safari would be useless for downloading anything.

Reactions: TheShortTimer
Is that a 600mhz snow like I have? And to get most websites to load on 10.4.11, you'll need to get a modern browser such as tenfourfox or arctic fox, although I recommend iceweaselppc. It's a modified version of tenfourfox browser and is faster on our older G3s.
Try copying the file over to the iMac through usb as safari would be useless for downloading anything.

I’ve been looking locally for a mostly-dead 600 or 700MHz Snow, Graphite, or patterned iMac with the very optimistic hope of salvaging the CPU and possibly, eventually, moving that CPU to the logic board of my clamshell iBook. :)

Reactions: LightBulbFun

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I’ve been looking locally for a mostly-dead 600 or 700MHz Snow, Graphite, or patterned iMac with the very optimistic hope of salvaging the CPU and possibly, eventually, moving that CPU to the logic board of my clamshell iBook. :)
Why not just do a G4 upgrade? It's been done before (check YouTube) and by installing a G4 chip, you can even get leopard.. On a clamshell.

Why not just do a G4 upgrade? It's been done before (check YouTube) and by installing a G4 chip, you can even get leopard.. On a clamshell.

Nope, that only works on the Rev. A and Rev. B clamshell iBooks, which used a completely different version of the PPC750 chip than the Rev. C, which were equipped with the PPC750CX/CXe (which is what I have).

The posted examples you’ve seen of iBook clamshells running on a G4 CPU (by folks like @LightBulbFun) were on the earlier architecture. The 600/700MHz iMacs of 2001 use the CX/CXe architecture, meaning the fastest clock speed available would be, in theory, a 700MHz G3 (PPC750CXe).

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Yep, that's it. Only has 128MB ram though. I bought an extra stick, was supposed to be a 512MB PC133 stick. So, here's the situation with that lol. Packaging shows it to be a 1GB stick, sticker on it says it's 512MB, and system info shows it as 256MB lol.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Yep, that's it. Only has 128MB ram though. I bought an extra stick, was supposed to be a 512MB PC133 stick. So, here's the situation with that lol. Packaging shows it to be a 1GB stick, sticker on it says it's 512MB, and system info shows it as 256MB lol.
Tiger on 128mb of ram? That's gotta have been painful. tiger barely runs with 256mb of ram on my 400mhz iMac.
384mb of ram will still be insufficient for tiger and web browsing unfortunately, but great for os9.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Tiger on 128mb of ram? That's gotta have been painful. tiger barely runs with 256mb of ram on my 400mhz iMac.
384mb of ram will still be insufficient for tiger and web browsing unfortunately, but great for os9.
I need to figure out how to have this 512MB register properly. :( OWC says it's compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.