Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
rwh.PNG

I'm gunning for ya' rwh202 !
Just a little over 2 more decades.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
It might not even take that long, mmomega. You passed me like I'm not even folding, and have passed newcomer powerhouse itsOver9000 with similar ease. According to current estimates, you'll be in the MR Top 50 in under a week.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
My numbers took a hit tonight, I had turned all the machines off for the evening so that 451,000 pt 24hr avg is going to take a big dip.
I was quite surprised though at how much of a difference a gpu makes on F@H.
The computers will be used more this weekend so my numbers should level off more but top 50 would be pretty cool to get to.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
I was quite surprised though at how much of a difference a gpu makes on F@H.
Oh boy, does it ever. I wish I had a way to run a gpu myself. I have two Dell Core 2 Duo desktops with open PCIe slots that I use for the occasional WU. Unfortunately, they're small-form-factor units, and the power supplies aren't beefy enough to handle any graphics cards that are on the current whitelist. I found that out the hard way. Luckily, the store that sold me the card gave me my money back without a restocking fee.

Reactions: mmomega

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
View attachment 617011

I'm gunning for ya' rwh202 !
Just a little over 2 more decades.

You wish it was that simple!

I've got 2.5M PPD in reserve - It's folding for coins at the moment but once it's earned me another couple of GPUs I know where to turn my attention :)

Oh boy, does it ever. I wish I had a way to run a gpu myself. I have two Dell Core 2 Duo desktops with open PCIe slots that I use for the occasional WU. Unfortunately, they're small-form-factor units, and the power supplies aren't beefy enough to handle any graphics cards that are on the current whitelist.

Have you looked at a 384 core GT 730? - I've put one in a SFF PC with a 60 W power supply with no problems (23 W TDP). It's only 10K PPD, but that's a sizeable improvement on what a C2D will pull.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
2.5M per day?
Mind if I ask what sort of setup you have ?

Believe it or not, I've scaled back recently!

Down to 4 PCs in the lounge:
2 x gtx960
2 x gtx750Ti
1 x GTX970
1 x GTX970

2 in the study:
2 x gtx980
1 x gtx980 + gtx970
Various servers + old boxes that fold on cold days!

1 in the bedroom:
1 x gtx970 + gtx750Ti

Electricity is ~$250 a month, but it's -2 degC outside, the windows are open, the heating's off and it's still toasty indoors!

Right now, the only thing on my a MacRumors account are a couple (down to 1 yesterday) Google Compute servers - it's worth looking at firing up a few 8 core machines and using up free introductory credit for them - 20k ppd for 2 months (or 40k ppd for 1 month).

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

2 x gtx960
2 x gtx750Ti
1 x GTX970
1 x GTX970

2 in the study:
2 x gtx980
1 x gtx980 + gtx970

1 in the bedroom:
1 x gtx970 + gtx750Ti

Electricity is ~$250 a month, but it's -2 degC outside, the windows are open, the heating's off and it's still toasty indoors!

Right now, the only thing on my a MacRumors account are a couple (down to 1 yesterday) Google Compute servers - it's worth looking at firing up a few 8 core machines and using up free introductory credit for them - 20k ppd for 2 months (or 40k ppd for 1 month).

Ok, Yeah that's a fairly beastmode setup. Good job sir at being a boss at crunching numbers :)

One day I may be able to grow up and be like rwh :D

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
One day I may be able to grow up and be like rwh :D

I object - Who do you think you are calling grown up?
The Lego and dinosaurs on my desk prove that is patently not true!:)

But if you aspire to more PPD then good luck to you and I'm sure the science appreciates it!

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Have you looked at a 384 core GT 730? - I've put one in a SFF PC with a 60 W power supply with no problems (23 W TDP). It's only 10K PPD, but that's a sizeable improvement on what a C2D will pull.

I'm running Linux on those machines, so NVidia is sort of a no-go. NVidia drivers for Linux are notoriously bad, from what I understand; I'm perfectly willing to be wrong on this, though.

Besides, if I wanted to invest money in hardware specifically for folding, I'd build a mid-tower rig so I can get some additional cooling installed.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I'm running Linux on those machines, so NVidia is sort of a no-go. NVidia drivers for Linux are notoriously bad, from what I understand; I'm perfectly willing to be wrong on this, though.

Those driver are at times ... Less perfect. But I prefer Linux to Windows at any given time. I run my nV hardware on CentOS 7 with currently driver 361.18. No major complains. It's a dedicated hardware and I use the standard nV-.run variant to update drivers. Meanwhile I don't start x during booting of the machine so I can painless change drivers often.

You can't really overclock under Linux but as long as you buy factory overclocked you are fine.

The biggest watchout is when mixing different generations of GPUlike 660Ti and 780. In those cases you might get into trouble (I had to divorce those two back in time). But today two Different maxwells ... No problem at all.

Linux plus nV -> ok

Plus based on rumors and statistics Linux is a tick faster yielding more points.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK

All of my folding boxes are Linux (mint). The Nvidia drivers are and have been pretty good for years (the proprietary Nvidia ones, that is, not the open source attempts that the distributions ship with). PPD in linux can be 10-15% higher than windows, so for dedicated folding boxes it is great.

Installation can be a bit tricky - you need to ensure that the default drivers are disabled first, but the instructions on folding forum haven't failed me yet: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
All of my folding boxes are Linux (mint). The Nvidia drivers are and have been pretty good for years (the proprietary Nvidia ones, that is, not the open source attempts that the distributions ship with). PPD in linux can be 10-15% higher than windows, so for dedicated folding boxes it is great.

Installation can be a bit tricky - you need to ensure that the default drivers are disabled first, but the instructions on folding forum haven't failed me yet: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040

Thanks for the tips. Both those boxes are running Mint, and like you, I see about 15% higher PPD on CPU folding than I did for the brief time I tried Windows on those machines before switching to Mint. I'll take a gander at that FoldingForum thread for any GPU possibilities.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

2 x gtx960
2 x gtx750Ti
1 x GTX970
1 x GTX970

2 in the study:
2 x gtx980
1 x gtx980 + gtx970

1 in the bedroom:
1 x gtx970 + gtx750Ti

so what did you do with your old video cards?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
So far I'm hoping to break into the MacRumors Top 10 in the next 4 months.
I'm thinking about adding a 2nd card at some point but that too will probably be within the next 4 months before it happens.

also just a little background on me. As much as I am competitive and just like moving up the score ladder this hits home for me a little. I do all of my computing for Alzheimer's research just because this has been something I've had first hand experience with in my family.
My father and 2 of his brothers were diagnosed with Alzheimers quite a few years ago and since it was caught fairly early and with the help of good Dr.'s and meds, my dad has been making tremendous progress and the symptoms are becoming fewer and further between.
So, for whatever the reasons are for any of us to do distributed computing or regardless of the research you crunch numbers for. I'd just like to give all of you a handshake and a thank you for doing what you do.

Now... back to crunching some numbers :)
I'm now approximately 12.3 years away from 1st place... C'mon 2028 :)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
New Goal is to personally hit 100,000,000 by Jan 1 2017.

Today I'm at 23,000,000.
Folding on single GPU and no CPU's.

And MacRumors Team to be at 4 Billion by the same date.
Currently 3.8 Billion.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
good luck! what GPU are you folding with?
Thanks.

at the moment a 980 Ti. Which is currently putting out about 610,000+PPD.

Thinking about purchasing 2 RX 480's next week and see how they do as well as adding an R9 380 back into the mix which is what was doing most of my folding over the past 2-3months.

The 380, if I can remember correctly, was averaging maybe 150,000PPD and I could be off a bit.

Hoping for 1.5mil PPD minimum. With the 4 cards. I may be a bit optimistic but we'll see what the 480's can do if I can get my hands on some soon.

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 5.07.09 PM.png

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
at the moment a 980 Ti. Which is currently putting out about 610,000+PPD.

Thinking about purchasing 2 RX 480's next week and see how they do as well as adding an R9 380 back into the mix which is what was doing most of my folding over the past 2-3months.

The 380, if I can remember correctly, was averaging maybe 150,000PPD and I could be off a bit.

Hoping for 1.5mil PPD minimum. With the 4 cards. Possibly more but we'll see what the 480's can do if I can get my hands on some soon.

awesome! but why not go for a 1080 or 1070?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
awesome! but why not go for a 1080 or 1070?
Just from what I've been reading, some early reviews show 2x 480's very slightly outperforming a 1080.
So at $199 each, I can save $200+ and get the same performance being that the 1080 is minimum $600.
If the 480's performance isn't there the idea is to return or exchange out +cash for a 1080.

The speculation at the moment is the 1080 to be a 1 million PPD card. So I'm hoping for that type of performance out of the Radeons and them only being 100W each with a single 6pin connector those would be the minimal investment.

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Just from what I've been reading, some early reviews show 2x 480's very slightly outperforming a 1080.
So at $199 each, I can save $200+ and get the same performance being that the 1080 is minimum $600.
If the 480's performance isn't there the idea is to return or exchange out +cash for a 1080.

The speculation at the moment is the 1080 to be a 1 million PPD card. So I'm hoping for that type of performance out of the Radeons and them only being 100W each with a single 6pin connector those would be the minimal investment.

wow. a 1 million ppd card? insane! and i didn't realize the 480 were that power efficient. interesting

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
wow. a 1 million ppd card? insane! and i didn't realize the 480 were that power efficient. interesting
Again it's mostly rumors and speculation until more people have these in hand and folding with them.
I'm more so thinking it will be a 850,000-900,000 card.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
still, that's one heck of a card. and i thought i read that the 1080 was more power efficient than the 980 ti. not bad. though the 1080s seem to be sold out everywhere

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.