Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Suggesting CentOS 7 (minimal desktop) from my side. Not so much overhead installed compared to Ubuntu.

Driver installation from nV can be a bit of learning at the first time but there are good guidelines around (like in FF.org) helping with the needed steps to get it running.
I think I'm going to be doing a whole lot of Linux research this year. Thanks for the suggestion.
Do you guys have your Linux folding computer headless or with monitors.

Both of mine are headless and for my company I use Splashtop to remote in but it looks like they only offer a version for Ubuntu, it may work on different distros (I'm not that familiar with Linux yet so I'm not sure). But if you guys do remote in, what do you use?
welcome to the 100M club @mmomega !!!

and i think this weekend i'm going to give mint linux a shot. we'll see
Did you get around to trying out Mint?

Well I'm downloading Cinnamon Edition Mint now. I just need to find a USB drive somewhere around the house. I hope I didn't leave them all at the office.
I so hope this goes well. :)

I just got the 1070 Machine back up and running, now to stop it and redo.
If this one works out well then the dual 980Ti machine will get a redo on Tuesday, or I may leave it alone since I'm out of town Wednesday to Monday.
We'll see.

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Monitor attached but mostly remote control via FAHControl, ssh and iPad ... Only for driver update or reboots after power outage I need the physical monitor.

I tried TeamViewer but eventually don't need it.

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
What hardware does Linux not like ... Must be very exotic ...
not really.
the one i tried tonight is just an msi z68 board, i5 2500 and an nvidia 1070.
the other one i tried with ubuntu is an asus hero viii, i7 6700, and 2 980ti's.

I tried mint on the 1070 computer, from usb installer, it would boot up, show mint linux, flash things across the screen so quickly i can't read it and go black screen for several minutes, long enough that i just hit the restart button, same disk booted fine on my MacBook and iMac.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
not really.
the one i tried tonight is just an msi z68 board, i5 2500 and an nvidia 1070.
the other one i tried with ubuntu is an asus hero viii, i7 6700, and 2 980ti's.

I tried mint on the 1070 computer, from usb installer, it would boot up, show mint linux, flash things across the screen so quickly i can't read it and go black screen for several minutes, long enough that i just hit the restart button, same disk booted fine on my MacBook and iMac.
I've had something similar using the newer mint distros - it was a case of adding a 'nomodeset' option in the boot parameters and again in grub after installation:

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rosa_cinnamon.php

They really don't make it easy!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I've had something similar using the newer mint distros - it was a case of adding a 'nomodeset' option in the boot parameters and again in grub after installation:

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rosa_cinnamon.php

They really don't make it easy!
Alrighty, I'll look into that one when I get back in town next week. Hopefully I have more luck with it then hopefully upgrading from there. Or If it works, just leave it alone.

I did upgrade Windows 10 to 1607(Anniversary build) on my gtx1070 machine and for some reason that really messed with output, a lot.
Over the last two days there were new updates, those seemed to have helped put my numbers back to normal.
My average was dropping and dropping and I just couldn't figure it out. All machines seemed to be running fine then I noticed the 1070 machine stuttering more and more and sometimes restarting for seemingly no reason.
Updated a cumulative update yesterday and numbers went from 1.5 mil back to 2.1 mill. That's a fairly sizeable increase. Almost like that machine wasn't really producing or reporting anything.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i did try installing mint, with no luck. this is on an older system (x58 chipset i think?) - i burned the iso to a dvd, and it booted the disk, but i got some error message, and then it tried to boot and just blank screen....no idea what was going on so i just gave up.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
well i did try installing mint, with no luck. this is on an older system (x58 chipset i think?) - i burned the iso to a dvd, and it booted the disk, but i got some error message, and then it tried to boot and just blank screen....no idea what was going on so i just gave up.
This was very similar to what happened to me just I did it on a USB drive. But I think I'm going to try the older version like rwh suggested.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Sigh. Lesson learned.
Don't mess with a perfectly good running machine remotely. You may screw something up and not be able to access it.

This is me telling myself this a few minutes before I screwed up said computer and can not access it, and won't be able to until Monday.

Like updating ethernet drivers. . . it went offline and has been for quite a while now.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Finally got both of my rigs back up and running. They still have 3 day old WU's to run through first, so those will be very minimal points, but it is points and it is WU being completed.

I'll be happy to get back to churning out 2mil/day again.

Once you hit that ceiling and then you drop off, it hurts :). Time to get back to work.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Looks like we have JavaPython coming up fairly quickly as well.
850 WU's and at #15 already.

I just like seeing these girls/guys Folding and moving through the ranks.
This should be a good year for MacRumors folding.

Reactions: twoodcc

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
It's not half bad for even us small-timers lately. I'm finally getting some WUs for my lowly CPU cores these past few weeks that are considerably more than the measly 200-205 base points I'd been getting this past year. February was my best month points-wise since last March, and I'm about to pass that with nearly two weeks to spare for this month.

Can't catch a break in the ranks, though-- almost as soon as I pass someone, another one zooms by me (latest example: fiftysixten). Then again, this isn't a zero-sum game; it's more collaborative than competitive.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Looks like we have JavaPython coming up fairly quickly as well.
850 WU's and at #15 already.

I just like seeing these girls/guys Folding and moving through the ranks.
This should be a good year for MacRumors folding.

yep. the team looks to be doing well!
[doublepost=1489766920][/doublepost]
It's not half bad for even us small-timers lately. I'm finally getting some WUs for my lowly CPU cores these past few weeks that are considerably more than the measly 200-205 base points I'd been getting this past year. February was my best month points-wise since last March, and I'm about to pass that with nearly two weeks to spare for this month.

Can't catch a break in the ranks, though-- almost as soon as I pass someone, another one zooms by me (latest example: fiftysixten). Then again, this isn't a zero-sum game; it's more collaborative than competitive.

the more competitive we are on our own team, the better the team does overall

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I've been noticing you regularly hitting 1.9 - 2 mil PPD twoodcc.
Did you add any new cards? Go to Linux ?
Do tell . . .

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I completely blame it all on Christian.

Screen Shot 2017-04-03 at 5.48.54 PM.png

Reactions: twoodcc

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Mission accomplished ... it's a nice card ... quite some performance

Congrats !

Oh; and I just see you stepped over me ... that's not nice. But good for science so you shall be forgiven :D

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Ha, yes, all in the name of science.

Well the name of the thread does imply some stepping over people :)

Spot #1 is a long way out, hell spot #2 is going to take forever to run down if he's putting out as much or more PPD than I do.

Also, the water block should be coming in the same day as the card. So Thursday it should be installed by end of day.
Hoping to get a decent overclock on it that will beat out my two current cards combined.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
At the moment the 1080 Ti is Estimating 1.32 million PPD by itself.
Insanity.

Ok, going back to work. I hope nothing crashes.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
It's quite impressive what that card push out on work and get in as credits ... but also shows that the exponential PPD curve comes to an conceptual end, the increase in points is much higher compared to the decrease in TPF. But nothing we can change ... just enjoy the numbers comming in

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Just to add a little information since getting the card.

On the Founders Edition BIOS and OC'd to 1980-2000 I was getting 1.2 - 1.3 mil PPD
I recently flashed to the ASUS Strix OC BIOS, then run it at 2000 and am getting a consistent 1.0 mil PPD.

I'm going to reflash the FE bios once these WU finish up and start it running again.

Earlier last week many folks were flashing to the Strix due to it supposedly allowing a higher TDP on the card and more stable OC in the end.
Now it's looking like, by some, that people were able to achieve a more stable higher overclock, yet their benchmarks and performance is coming out slightly behind the stock FE BIOS.

I'll keep the thread updated if I get any substantial information one way or the other as well with just my own testing.

Christian do you want me to continue uploading some logs to your page?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.