Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
I have a 2012 iMac that is feeling pretty slow and cannot run some of the newer software I want to use.

I do work with CAD/3D software (sketchup, modo, rhino, and revit via parallels) and occasional video editing (after effects). I also use the adobe suite (photoshop,indesign, illustrator).

I need storage, so I was thinking a 27 inch iMac would be the best bet since I can get up to 3TB

I don’t want to spend a lot of money, so I was wondering what the base model would be that can run 3D software.

Thanks in advance.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
With the apps you mention, you need "speed" more than internal storage.
I'd suggest a midrange iMac. High-end has more power, but may also be a bit noisier due to fans.

For internal storage, GET AN SSD. (fusion drive may be too SLOW to suit you)
Since price is an issue, I'd suggest the 512gb SSD (best combination of price/size).
Then, supplement it with external USB3 storage (USB3 SSDs are cheap and fast).

Consider buying from the Apple refurbished online store. More for your money that way.
Very satisfied with my 2018 refurbished Mini which I bought there.

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
I have a 2012 iMac that is feeling pretty slow and cannot run some of the newer software I want to use.

I do work with CAD/3D software (sketchup, modo, rhino, and revit via parallels) and occasional video editing (after effects). I also use the adobe suite (photoshop,indesign, illustrator).

I need storage, so I was thinking a 27 inch iMac would be the best bet since I can get up to 3TB

I don’t want to spend a lot of money, so I was wondering what the base model would be that can run 3D software.

Thanks in advance.
Those 5K iMacs tend to eat up RAM. Experience has shown me that if you are going to do any kind of production work, 16GB is really the minimum you want. It’ll start swapping out to disk fairly soon on 8. I would spec out the machine for 16GB of RAM, then buy as much SSD storage as you can afford. Storage can always be filled out later, externally.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I'm a software developer, so my needs are a bit different (not so interested in GPU power, more interested in CPU and storage speed). I'm in need of a refresh, and have been considering:

- 16" Macbook
- 2018 Mac Mini
- 2019 17" iMac

I currently use a 2017 iMac Pro on loan from a client. (8-core, 64MB RAM, 1GB SSD). So, now I've been spoiled. :(

Otherwise, I have a 2012 Mac Mini 4-core i7 that I've maxed-out. It's had 16GB RAM from Day 1, and I'm on my second drive replacement (originally had Fusion, which I replaced with a 1TB OCZ Vector 180 that just died and I've now replaced with a 2TB Samsung 860 EVO. At ~500M/sec it's WAY faster than as-delivered, but also way slower than current ~2000-3000M/sec SSD speed for current products.

I've found for software development, what you need are:

- cores, cores, cores!
- as much memory as you can afford (within reason, I think currently 64GB is sweet spot)
- fast storage
- as much screen space as you can afford

Looking at the alternatives, for pure bang-for-the-buck, the 2019 27" Retina iMac beats the pants off of the others.

- faster (by a hair) than 2017 8-core iMac Pro
- (easily) user-upgradable RAM - it still has a "trap door" in the back
- user-upgradable (but not "supported") SSD (requires can-opening skillz)
- A GREAT high-resolution and large display, essentially "for free" (do the math - add a 27" Retina display to the cost of a Mac Mini or 15"/16" MacBook Pro)

The most sensible configuration seems to be to order with the minimum 8GB RAM and upgrade RAM yourself (many companies will give you some small trade-in for your original RAM).

I don't think I'd bother with self-installing SSD at this time. But that's because I only need 1TB. The cost saving is minimal or negative at 1TB (with i9 - 1TB is a $300 addon and good 1TB blades are ~$350, though you would be left with a hard drive that would be useful for backups) and not worth the trouble of opening the can. But could make sense if you want 2TB-4TB internally.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.