Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I am about to pull the trigger on an Uplift standing desk and would like some suggestions. I currently have a 24" Dell monitors on each side of my 27" iMac. I'd like to get them all mounted onto gas-supported monitor arms and trying to determine best configuration (i.e. single monitor stand for each, triple monitor stand or something else).

I also have two OWC Thunderbay 4s that currently sit below my desk on a cross bar support piece. Once I switch to the standing desk, I need a way to mount them to the desk so when the desk moves, cords arent pulled, etc. Each of the bays are 6.7" tall x 5.3" wide x 9.7" deep.

Here is a pic of my current setup. What do you think I should do about the monitor setup and the under-desk storage?

Attachments

• IMG_6249.JPG
    IMG_6249.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 2,554
Reactions: Gutwrench

PhillStew

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2005
Alabama
I just took delivery of an Uplift frame (I am finishing a large piece of butcher block tabletop myself) and was trying to wrap my mind around what exactly I wanted my cable / peripheral management to look like. I ended up purchasing a large metal cable box that will be mounted to the bottom of the desk. I am planning on putting the power strip, external HDD's, and other cabling into it so I only have to worry about managing cables from my ProMedia 2.1 control pod, satellite speaker wires, and power from the strip.

Here's a link: https://www.btod.com/ra-xwmb

...and here's a pic:
ra-xwmb.jpg

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
As you say you want a stand with gas supported arms. I went with a Fellowes Platinum Series Triple Arm (8042601). It worked quite well with a 27" iMac and two 27" LG 4K displays. It can be found for a lot cheaper elsewhere. Be sure to adjust the tension on the arms. They need to be tuned to the weight of the monitors. This stand was chosen as it was one of only two options for handling 27" displays but had more clearance. Note I don't use this personally. I set this up for a client.

As for a standing desk. You'll want one with a wood top. These stands need to bolt through or clamp on the edge. Personally, I think bolt through looks cleaner.

Personally, I'd just buy a well reviewed adjustable frame. Then make my own desktop and under mount shelf for cables and peripherals. So, I couldn't make any recommendations there.

N9JIG

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2019
SW USA
I just ordered an L-shaped Uplift this morning, it should be here Thursday.

On my current standing desk (OfficeMax 60x30) I did not like the backup hard drives and other peripherals on the desk surface so I bought a clamp-on monitor stand and slung it UNDER the desk to act as a nest shelf. It also provides a place to stash cables. I might put a panel on the forward side of it to hide the contents down the road but for now it seems to be fine.

It works great and allowed me to put these devices out of sight. It matches the desktop color of the current desk and the new one so I plan on using it on the new one when I put it together this weekend. The clamp knobs are blocked from view by the phone and monitor so they hide easily.

As for monitor arms, I have 3 32-inch ASUS monitors and I was able to find at the local Fry's Electronics a pair of monitor arms (one single and one dual monitor) that support these large monitors from SIIG (https://www.frys.com/product/9415171). This arm easily supports these monitors and clamp to the desktop. They were easy to install and adjust. For my Uplift I ordered an additional dual arm mount for my two 27" monitors for the second computer so I can have all of them on arms. This will allow me to align the tops of the monitors to satisfy my OCD-based linearity complex.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I just took delivery of an Uplift frame (I am finishing a large piece of butcher block tabletop myself) and was trying to wrap my mind around what exactly I wanted my cable / peripheral management to look like. I ended up purchasing a large metal cable box that will be mounted to the bottom of the desk. I am planning on putting the power strip, external HDD's, and other cabling into it so I only have to worry about managing cables from my ProMedia 2.1 control pod, satellite speaker wires, and power from the strip.

Here's a link: https://www.btod.com/ra-xwmb

...and here's a pic:
ra-xwmb.jpg

wow that is a super nice cable box. never seen a cable management box that nice before. Might even be worth the high price too.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I‘m not following the request, sorry. It‘s likely the long work week and/or the bourbon.

I have a couple Evodesks at home that I’m happy with.

@SandboxGeneral (forgive my name dropping) has some Varidesks...which are above Evodesk in quality, I feel.

So, if you’re looking for desks that lift there’s resourses here for any questions.

Edit: I understand now. Uplift is a specific brand. Good lord. It’s the bourbon, sorry.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I‘m not following the request, sorry. It‘s likely the long work week and/or the bourbon.

I have a couple Evodesks at home that I’m happy with.

@SandboxGeneral (forgive my name dropping) has some Varidesks...which are above Evodesk in quality, I feel.

So, if you’re looking for desks that lift there’s resourses here for any questions.

Edit: I understand now. Uplift is a specific brand. Good lord. It’s the bourbon, sorry.
I'm hoping the OP has made his/her decision on what to buy by this point. In your bourbon stuper, you might have missed that the OP posted this in March. :p

Either way, I'm still quite pleased with my Varidesk setup. Very nice and high-quality stuff so far.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I'm hoping the OP has made his/her decision on what to buy by this point. In your bourbon stuper, you might have missed that the OP posted this in March. :p

Either way, I'm still quite pleased with my Varidesk setup. Very nice and high-quality stuff so far.

??‍♂️ Thanks. Yep, it was the bourbon. I should have gone with the better stuff last night.

RE: the standing aspect...I am using it far more than expected. I particularly like it at home (evenings and weekends). I can wander in and work standing for 15-20 minutes then wander back out.

The glass chair mat chills the feet though. I hadn’t thought of that, and winter is still weeks away. I’ll buy a nice mat to use while standing. That might help the knees, ankle, and hips some too. Any advice there?

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.